Brown butter sugar cookies

cookies-3
Judy Shan/File

Winter might be over and the rainy storms may be receding, but unfortunately, the whirlwind midterm storm season isn’t letting up anytime soon. Week after week, we tell ourselves that we’ll be able to relax after one last midterm, only to find out quickly that the second midterm for another class is on the horizon.

The constant cycle of stress in our lives calls for some serious therapy, and we think that delicious, home-baked cookies are the best solution. That’s why we the Clog are here today to share with you all a delicious recipe for brown butter sugar cookies — right out of our very own top-secret book of life-saving recipes.

Ingredients
Makes 24 (very) large cookies

1 cup butter, browned
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Before you do anything else, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, remember to line your pans with aluminum foil.

Next, take out a small nonstick pot and place your butter block inside. Turn on the heat to medium and gently stir the butter with a spatula as it melts. Make sure that you don’t burn the butter, but rather, let it slowly brown. Additionally, after around 5 minutes, the butter should begin to release a deliciously rich and nutty smell — hence, the distinctive property of brown butter.

After you see the butter visibly turn a brownish, golden color, take the pot off the heat, turn off the heat (because we don’t want your kitchen to burn down), and let the butter cool down.

After the butter has cooled, beat together the butter, both types of sugar and the eggs. When the mixture has reached a uniform, creamy consistency, begin adding in the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Make sure to add in the dry ingredients slowly, as it’s pretty easy to lose some ingredients when you add in too much at once.

Mix ingredients together until just combined and make sure not to over-mix. Over-mixing will result in tough, not-so-delicious cookies (although, they do have sugar and browned butter, so they’ll probably taste good anyway).

Drop the cookie dough in two tablespoonfuls on your prepared cookie sheets, and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Finally, enjoy the fruits of your labor! And once you feel the magical reviving effects of these amazing cookies, go and conquer those midterms! You’ve got this.

Contact Judy Shan at [email protected].