Regents discuss nonresident enrollment cap, elect new chancellor for UC Berkeley

enrollment_audreymcnamara_file-copy
Audrey McNamara/File

SAN FRANCISCO — At its Thursday meeting, the UC Board of Regents discussed a nonresident student enrollment cap and the efficiency of the university’s operating model and unanimously approved Carol Christ as the new chancellor of UC Berkeley.

Christ, the campus’s interim executive vice chancellor and provost, was unanimously approved to be the 11th and first female chancellor of UC Berkeley in a special meeting of the board Thursday morning. She will succeed Chancellor Nicholas Dirks, who will step down June 30.

“I believe she is the right person to lead what is widely regarded as the best public university in the world,” said UC President Janet Napolitano before the vote.

The regents also discussed a new policy that, if approved, will put a 20 percent enrollment cap on UC nonresident enrollment. In 2017, all UC campuses will enroll more in-state students than their pre-Great Recession levels. The new enrollment proposal would increase in-state student enrollment by an additional 2,500 students. Additionally, the enrollment proposal would allow for an increase in nonresident enrollment at every UC campus except UC Berkeley, UCLA and UC San Diego, where enrollment would be capped.

Nathan Brostrom, UC chief financial officer, said at the meeting that the amount of university funding being covered by nonresident state tuition is more than $70 million. According to a presentation by Brostrom, the proportion of nonresident students at UC campuses is 16.5 percent, compared to an average of 27.9 percent at most other major public universities.

Several board members expressed concerns about a state funding shortfall during the meeting. Brostrom said the new policy would ensure that extra tuition from nonresident students fund resources across UC campuses.

Brostrom emphasized, however, that the new policy would not ignore the university’s commitment to California residents. Nonresident students would be enrolled “in addition to and not in place of Californian students,” according to David Alcocer, interim associate vice president of the UC Department of Budget Analysis and Planning.

UC San Diego Chancellor Pradeep Khosla said at the meeting that nonresident tuition has become an integral part of UC San Diego’s operating budget. According to Khosla, his campus is building new infrastructure for arts and humanities with “zero state dollars” — the funding comes in part from nonresident supplemental tuition.

During the meeting, Brostrom also emphasized the positive impact of the new policy on in-state students.

“Merely reading about different cultures and perspectives is no substitute for actually engaging with students from diverse backgrounds,” Brostrom said at the meeting.

Some board members, however, expressed doubts about the motives behind the policy. Regent Gareth Elliott said he thought the plan seemed like a direct response to funding needs introduced by last year’s state budget.

“My concern … is us adopting a policy significantly above where we are today and calling it a cap, and then hoping and expecting that when there is an agreement with the legislature on something … we expect them to want to make a deal,” Elliott said at the meeting.

The board will formally vote on the nonresident enrollment policy at its May meeting.

During the meeting, the board also discussed the university’s operating model. According to Rachael Nava, UC executive vice president and chief operating officer, the university has annual revenues of more than $30 billion and the leadership structure to run 10 small cities.

“I would challenge you all to use … the momentum of the scale we have to benefit (our programs),” said regents chair Monica Lozano in her closing remarks.

The board will next meet May 17 to 18 at UCSF Mission Bay.

Contact Azwar Shakeel at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @azwarshakeel12.

• Professor S Freeman

Hard to believe a nonresident undergraduate or graduate would pay a premium price to attend UC!

• intec

heres the deal, get rid of all of the foreighn students. i am sick and tired of hearing about local berkeley kids not being able to get into cal while they continue to pursue students from china and ireland-this is insane and should not be allowed at a public college, ever. the uc system also needs to stop protecting undocumented students-its time for those students to be expelled and handed over by ucpd for deportation. im so disgusted that as much as i cant stand donald trump, im considering writing a letter to the white house asking trump to discontinue all federal funds for universities that enrole foreighn students and illegal immigrants. also, the first person who runs for government on a platform of ending the enrolement of illegals/foreighn students at uc will win that election because poeple fed up.