Quiz: What kind of potato should you eat?

daily-cal-potatoes
Caragh McErlean/File

St. Patrick’s Day is here, and we know what’s on your mind: potatoes. Seriously, what’s a good ol’ Irish meal without a side of spuds? But with so many different types of tubers from which to choose (more than 4,000!), it’s hard to pick which ones to feast on for St. Paddy’s Day. Don’t fret, though, for we at the Clog are here to help you navigate through the vast field of taters that the world has to offer!

1. Are you a firm believer in the concept of the potato?
    1. Why, of course! My diet only includes the starchiest of foods.
    2. I don’t get the hype, man.
    3. I guess?
    4. Sure. I like potatoes, but they’re not my favorite food.
  2. What’s your favorite form of potato?
    1. Baked potatoes.
    2. I’m not really about that potato-eating lifestyle.
    3. French fries.
    4. Mashed potatoes.
  3. What are you planning on doing this St. Patrick’s Day?
    1. Stuffing my face with potatoes. Duh.
    2. Not wearing green, that’s for sure. It’s just not a great color on anyone.
    3. I’m going to the San Francisco St. Patrick’s Day Parade and Festival with my friends.
    4. Drinking a lot of liquid bread, if you know what I mean.
  4. What’s your favorite color?
    1. Bright yellow. 
    2. Only the colors that look good on me.
    3. Light brown.
    4. Dark purple. 
  5. Do you believe in leprechauns?
    1. I am a leprechaun!
    2. Leprechaun-shmeprechaun.
    3. Sure, in the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day.
    4. I’m not exactly buying the leprechaun leaving his shoe behind in our classroom in third grade. I mean, what are the odds?
  6. What’s at the end of the rainbow?
    1. Potatoes!
    2. There’s nothing at the end of the rainbow, because there’s no end of the rainbow. It’s simple physics, people.
    3. A pot o’ gold!
    4. More rainbows?
    1. Fingerlings! You’re a true potato enthusiast, so what better to eat that the starchiest spud in all of the land? These guys are finger-shaped (duh) with golden brown skin and light yellow flesh. They’re excellent for boiling, baking and roasting (or just in a classic potato salad). Being a true tater admirer, you’ll love these as your St. Patrick’s Day side dishes.
    2. See’s Candies (Chocolate) “Potatoes.” We get it, you’re not about that starchy diet, or any of the magic of St. Patty’s Day, for that matter. You’re trying to get that spring break bod, but, in the spirit of the leprechauns, it would be nice to treat yourself to a bit of chocolate. And hey, don’t forget to let loose and maybe take a bite out of a roasted potato or something. We promise you it’ll be worth it.
    3. Idaho Russet potatoes! This is just your run-of-the-mill, classic potato. You’re a regular celebrator of St. Patrick’s Day, but leaping for joy like a leprechaun — and that’s fine! You believe in the pot o’ gold and the spirit of the luck of the Irish, and that’s all that matters. Be sure to try using some Idaho Russet potatoes in your dishes. They’re incredibly versatile and are great for baking, mashing and frying (warning: Don’t use these in your potato salad). Happy Idaho Russet-ing!
    4. Purple Potatoes! You have your own unique approach to celebrating St. Patrick’s Day, and what better way to top off your Irish-inspired cuisine than with a potato that’s in the same color scheme as Barney the Dinosaur? These are great for soups and salads or to be mashed and baked. They’re incredibly versatile and will be the star of your nontraditional St. Paddy’s Day dishes!

Contact Chloe Lelchuk at [email protected].