3 arrested on suspicion of drug, gun violations in South Berkeley

crime_danielkim_staff
Daniel Kim/File

Berkeley Police Department arrested three people after responding to a reported auto burglary near the intersection of Telegraph and Durant avenues Sunday morning.

Upon receiving the report around 5:23 a.m., BPD officers went to the area and approached three people in a parked BMW, one of whom matched a description provided by a witness, according to a BPD crime alert released Monday morning. After a computer check, BPD officers found that the suspect, Steven Manning, had outstanding warrants totaling $50,000, the alert stated. He was allegedly carrying more than $2,000 in cash and was in possession of suspected heroin, according to the alert.

BPD officers also allegedly found the backseat passenger to be in possession of heroin, according to the alert. After he allegedly provided false identification, BPD identified him as Rakim Washington. BPD officers found that he was on parole.

The front passenger of the car, Meredith Rains, also had an outstanding warrant for her arrest, according to the alert. After removing Rains from the car, BPD officers allegedly found a bag containing what they suspect is methamphetamine on the ground.

The alert alleged that the vehicle smelled strongly of marijuana and, after a search, officers retrieved a digital scale that had suspected methamphetamine and marijuana residue on its surface. Officers later obtained a search warrant for Manning’s residence, where they allegedly found 1,000 pills of five types of narcotics, drug packaging materials, digital scales, an assault pistol, rounds of ammunition, a credit card embossing machine, a card reader and card stock.

Manning, 35, and Rains, 32, are both Oakland residents, and Washington is a Berkeley resident. All three were booked at Berkeley Jail for drug and gun violations.

Jessica Lynn is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @jessicailynn.