Mental competency hearing extended for UC Berkeley student facing murder charges

gomez

A consensus could not be reached at UC Berkeley student Pablo Gomez Jr.’s mental competency hearing Monday morning.

Two different mental health professionals were assigned to report on Gomez’s mental competence, but both replied with differing opinions. Judge Jon Rolefson determined that a third doctor will be the “tiebreaker,” according to George Arroyo, Gomez’s attorney.

Gomez, 22, was arrested Jan. 7 in connection with the Jan. 6 stabbing of Kiana Lailin Schmitt and the murder of Emilie Inman, a 27-year-old South Berkeley resident. Gomez is being charged on four felony counts — murder, attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon and first degree robbery.

On Feb. 6, Gomez’s scheduled arraignment was postponed after a scuffle broke out at the courthouse before the hearing.

About 20 people showed up for the hearing Monday in René C. Davidson Courthouse, including some of Gomez’s friends and family members. All of them, however, declined to comment on Gomez’s hearing.

The third mental competency opinion will be presented May 1 at the follow-up hearing in René C. Davidson Courthouse.

Gibson Chu is the lead crime and courts reporter. Contact him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @thegibsonchu.

• Te Le

This unnatural liberal sycho is a product of sick society full of liberals electing libtards into offices and supporting illegals in the name of humanity. What so humane about getting innocent people killed by children of illegals who are given undeserved special privileges to be educated for free that other legitimate citizens do not get? What kind of madness is this? This is a sign of something wrong with this state and country that have been run by insanity of liberals. Jerry Brown and his two lieutenants, Becerra and De Leon should be recalled before they ruin this state any further than they already have.

• lspanker

If he’s not “mentally competent” then why the (blank) was he attending Cal Berkeley at taxpayer expense?

• Rechts

You really have to ask? I’m surprised he’s not chancellor, with those qualifications.