Best shows to binge-watch over spring break

Close-up of a young woman lying on the bed in front of a laptop
Anya Sapozhnikov/File

Ah, yes. It’s finally that time of the year again! Spring break is near, and we can almost taste all of that Netflix (or Hulu) we’re going to watch next week. While some of us may be prepared to spend our life savings getting turnt in Cabo or seeing what it’s like to be fancy schmancy in London for a week, it’s a known fact that the majority of us burnt-out college students will take a much cheaper (and arguably more exciting) route in order to take a breather. To recover from all of the papers and tests that just passed, we’ll turn to the top tool we have: television. Alas, the eternal question still burns within us: Which show do we use this spring break to escape from all of the school-related stress that UC Berkeley has caused us? Well, stick around, because we at the Clog are here with our own list of the best shows to binge-watch over spring break.

“This Is Us” (Season one on NBC or Hulu)

We all know that this is one giant tear jerker, but before you stray because of that, consider this: Sometimes it feels better to cry about other people’s problems (and this show sure is full of those). It follows a group of individual’s intricate connections and how their lives intertwine over time. Plus, the first episode will not only leave you in a puddle of your own tears (we suggest retrieving a bucket), but it will blow your mind because there’s an insanely cool twist at the end.

“Master of None” (Season one on Netflix)

We all know Aziz Ansari as the underachieving, yet extremely cocky, Tom Haverford from “Parks and Rec,” but some may be surprised to learn that he’s also co-created, written and starred in his own critically acclaimed comedy-drama series on Netflix called “Master of None.” It follows aspiring actor, Dev Shah (played by Ansari) who is just trying get by in the Big Apple. It’s only 10 episodes long, so it’s a small commitment if you’re not about to try finishing a daunting series such as “The Walking Dead.” Plus, binging on this show will prepare you for season two coming out May 12 on Netflix (just in time for summer!).

“Santa Clarita Diet” (Season one on Netflix)

OK, we admit this one’s a little wacky, but it’s going to be like nothing you’ve ever binged before. It follows the lives of a married couple in Santa Clarita, California. While they’re living a cushy life as realtors, things quickly go south after the wife, Sheila (played by Drew Barrymore), suddenly turns into a zombie. The series then follows her struggle to carry on a “normal” life with her husband, killing their neighbors to subdue her appetite. Just a bit of warning, though: Don’t eat while you’re watching this. It’s totally a comedy, but this isn’t Monty Python-level “gore.” Definitely not for the faint of heart.

“The Man in the High Castle” (Seasons one and two on Amazon)

If you want further proof that Amazon is taking over the world, look no further than “The Man in the High Castle.” Based on a fictional (obviously) book by Philip K. Dick, this show takes a look at what the world would be like if Germany had won WWII. Crazy, right? So, if you’re a history major who loves dystopian stories but is disappointed by the load of stinky dog poo that every young-adult dystopian movie has so kindly provided to us during our younger years, this show is definitely for you.

“American Crime” (Seasons one to three on ABC)

Have it be known that this isn’t your typical binge because season three just premiered on ABC last week. Saying this, though, having to wait each week for an episode is well worth the wait. This crime show deals with relevant sociopolitical matters by following key character’s lives and fascinating story lines. While watching seasons one and two isn’t necessary to catch up on all the action (it’s an anthological series), we highly suggest binge-watching them over spring break, because NEWS FLASH: “American Crime” is basically every UC Berkeley student’s dream. It deals with matters of race, class and gender politics and tells stories about individuals and areas of the country that television rarely ever depicts. Plus, if you’re still looking to exercise that socially and politically aware brain of yours, “American Crime” will be sure to provide you with everything you need.

Don’t let your brains turn to mush. Happy binge-watching, Bears!

Contact Chloe Lelchuk at [email protected].