University investigation finds Chancellor Nicholas Dirks improperly accepted free campus athletics services

Dirks-Jennifer-Tanji
Jennifer Tanji/File

Update 4/2/2017: This article has been updated to reflect additional information from the UC investigation. 

A university investigation has determined that UC Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks violated UC ethics rules through obtaining a free campus fitness center membership, failing to pay for personal training sessions and using campus gym equipment in his private home, as first reported by the LA Times.

The independent firm Public Interest Investigations was directed by the UC Office of the President to investigate allegations of Dirk’s possible misuse of public funds in April 2016. The investigation found that Dirks failed to pay a total of $4,990 for the gym membership and personal training sessions over two years. It also found that he used a campus Precor Cross Trainer exercise machine in his home, valued to be between $3,500 and $4,000, according to the investigation.

The UC Statement of Ethical Values stipulates that “University resources may only be used for activities on behalf of the University. They many not be used for private gain or personal purposes except in limited circumstances permitted by existing policy.”

The allegations that Dirks misused public funds first surfaced around July 2016 and sparked criticism across the campus. Dirks announced his resignation about two months later, amid other high-profile controversies, including his alleged mishandling of campus sexual misconduct violation.

Campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof declined to comment on the investigation. A spokesperson for the UC Office of the President could not be immediately reached for comment.

Jessica Lynn is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @jessicailynn.

• flashsteve

No mention if he was notified at any time that he was supposed to be paying fees. I’m sure he would have paid them gladly. Sounds like sour grapes and makes Cal look small.

• Alex

We railroaded a chancellor over five grand of exercise workouts and an elliptical, right.

• garyfouse

Time for Dirks to slip out of that escape hatch he had built into his office.

• ShadrachSmith

…and he outright stole pens and pencils…and paperclips.

• Kibble bits

I don’t know why he had to build a fence when he got dem guns

• Left Unsaid

Ridiculous.

• I give him a pass on those. Sorry. If he was at u$c or nyu it would be free

• Nunya Beeswax

I don’t give him a pass. This isn’t USC or NYU, and he should have known the rules.

But in practice, I can’t see how it’s going to matter. He’s a lame duck; what are they going to do, fire him?