UCPD receives report of aggravated assault

crime_danielkim_staff
Daniel Kim/File

UCPD received a report Monday of an aggravated assault that occurred March 18.

According to UCPD spokesperson Sgt. Sabrina Reich, “John Doe” was a victim of battery with great bodily injury. The assault was reported to have occurred March 18 about 11:30 a.m. near 600 Kinkead Way. Reich said she didn’t know if the victim was affiliated to the campus, but she did say that the victim knew the suspect, who is not affiliated to the campus.

“During the commission of the battery, the suspect used some racial epithets, so that is the hate crime component of this case,” Reich said. “The victim had sustained like several close-fist punches to the face and eye area, and I believed it caused a fracture to his eye socket and cheekbone.”

The victim sought his own medical attention after the incident, according to Reich. When he noticed that his injuries were not improving, he decided to report the incident to UCPD. Reich said that to her knowledge, the victim is currently undergoing treatment.

Reich said UCPD is aware of the suspect’s identity, as he is known to the victim, but he has not yet been arrested. He is described as a 29-year-old Hispanic male.

“We’re investigating and following up on this,” Reich said. “It’s not like there’s a suspect that’s outstanding that we’re needing the public’s help tracking down — we know who the individual is.”

Check back for updates.

Chantelle Lee is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.