BPD apprehends 2 suspects in connection with auto burglary, 1 suspect still at large

crime_danielkim_staff
Daniel Kim/File

Berkeley Police Department arrested two suspects Wednesday on suspicion of auto burglary, hit and run with injury and possession of stolen property, as first reported by the East Bay Times.

According to BPD spokesperson Sgt. Andrew Frankel, BPD received a report about 8 p.m. that a car was being burglarized on the 2600 block of Durant Avenue. The suspects were allegedly seen leaving the area in a sedan, and a BPD officer saw a vehicle that fit the description heading westbound while he was en route to the 2600 block of Durant Avenue. He made a U-turn to catch up with the car but didn’t get the chance to activate his lights and sirens.

“By the time the officer had turned around to catch up, the suspect vehicle was involved in a collision at Center (Street) and Shattuck (Avenue),” Frankel said. “The suspects fled the vehicle. Two of them were captured inside BART, and a third is still at large.”

BPD arrested Christopher Elmore, a 24-year-old Berkeley resident, and a 15-year-old male juvenile in connection with the reported auto burglary, according to Frankel. They were apprehended inside the Downtown Berkeley BART station.

Frankel added, however, that the identity of the third suspect is not known.

“The investigation continues,” Frankel said.

One person who was inside the vehicle that was hit by the suspects’ car was injured in the collision, Frankel stated. They were transported to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Frankel said Elmore and the male juvenile were booked on suspicion of auto burglary, hit and run with injury and possession of stolen property. According to online records from the Alameda County Courthouse, Elmore is scheduled to appear in the René C. Davidson Courthouse for a pretrial hearing April 12. He is currently being held in Santa Rita Jail.

Check back for updates.

Chantelle Lee is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ChantelleHLee.