Campus graffiti issues threaten Berkeley College Republicans

sign_courtesy_naweed-tahmas
Naweed Tahmas/Courtesy

The recent vandalism on campus signs and poles, which feature threats against the Berkeley College Republicans, adds to a growing list of harassment against the campus organization.

Various pieces of campus property have been vandalized with death threats against BCR. The graffiti, which has been found in spaces like the Unit 1 Housing sign and a pole by Crossroads, includes messages such as “KILL BCR,” “BEHEAD THE B.C.R.’s” and “LYNCH the B.C.R.’s.” Recently, the group has had its contact list stolen and signs destroyed. Members of the BCR contact list have also been sent harassing emails by anonymous senders.

Campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof said in an email that the campus condemns all acts of vandalism and threats no matter the perpetrator or the target. According to Mogulof, the graffiti was removed after it was reported and a UCPD detective is currently investigating the incident.

“All members of our campus community have a right to feel safe and not threatened based off political viewpoints or club affiliation,” said ASUC President Will Morrow. “Vandalism does not speak to (campus) values and my biggest priority is making sure everyone, including the Berkeley College Republicans, feel safe on this campus and you cannot feel safe with such incendiary rhetoric being vandalized around our campus.”

BCR spokesperson Naweed Tahmas has been a member of BCR for a year and said that threats against the group have not increased or decreased in the wake of the recent election of President Donald Trump. Tahmas said, however, that the organization has faced constant threats. He added that he believes some community members have projected their worst ideological fears onto BCR, causing others to be more aggressive against the organization.

Tahmas said that BCR takes these threats very seriously and they have forced the group to be more cautious and constantly aware of their surroundings. According to Tahmas, when BCR receives threats, it immediately contacts UCPD to allow the campus police to document the harassment.

“There isn’t much we can do about it beyond reporting,” Tahmas said. “It’s up to students to manage their behavior towards us and understand that we are students as well.”

UCPD spokesperson Sgt. Sabrina Reich said in an email that UCPD is aware of the recent vandalism to campus signs and is investigating the incidents. Reich and Mogulof both encouraged students to report any disturbances they witness.

“We urge anyone with information about this matter, or other offensive/threatening signs or graffiti to contact the UCPD,” Mogulof said in an email. “We also want to remind the community that anyone can report graffiti by calling the graffiti hotline at 643-0890.”

Contact Kate Tinney at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @K_Tinney.

• SMH

.

*OH-SO-‘TOUGH’* ** ‘BRAVE’ ** ULTRA-RIGHT-WING WHITE-SUPREMACIST-NATIONALIST **GOON** _**SUCKER-PUNCHES**_ A ***WOMAN*** IN THE FACE DURING INVADING PRO-TRUMP RALLY IN BERKELEY:

https://www.youtube.com/wat

No woman would want to see *HIM* — NATHAN DAMIGO — lurking around a “Take Back The Night” event…

.

• Just like their ISIS friends these antifas.

• pjean

What garners more respect, debating ideas or threatening to take the life of thosr who do not agree with you politically? Those who are too fragile to hear differing opinions are unhinged and useless.

• ThirteenthLetter

Yeah, right. Just like with those antifa riots, nothing will happen and nobody will be punished. We know how it works at Berkeley at this point.

• SMH

**GGOOOD**…

.

• Ely Whitlow

I mean I really detest the BCR and find them to be an annoying bunch – but the nature of this graffiti is just indefensible and disgusting. Obviously, no one is actually interested in beheading or lynching these students, but this graffiti is overall pretty naive and gives further attention to a club who’s only relevant due to the controversy that surrounds their presence on campus. This graffiti will only strengthen their victim complex, push forward their agenda, and give them another coveted chance to make it into a news article that will continually be sited as evidence of the violent, intolerant nature of the new “radical” left. We need to stop feeding these trolls. Speaking of which, I can’t wait for all of your responses Daily Cal trolls :)

• SMH

.

Whitlow: “Obviously, no one is actually interested in beheading or lynching these [Repuglicans]”

Whoa!… *Wait* a minute…: not so *fast*!…

(Ha-ha-ha…!)

————————

Whitlow: “This graffiti will only strengthen their [Repuglican] victim complex”

Wait a minute again…!: Isn’t that what the *Repuglicans* — and their many invited notorious *hate* speakers over the decades — have always accuse historically oppressed, discriminated against, indeed many times lynched, and many times police-brutalized/-murdered *minorities* of having? — a “victim complex”?

Geee, and all it took for the College Repuglicans to develop one — right away — was a wittle mean gwaffeeeteee…

(Ha-ha-ha…)

————————

Whitlow: “sited as evidence of the violent, intolerant nature of the new “radical” left.”

Geee, *Repuglicans* complaining about *intolerance* (aside from their *racist* history, the kind of people who don’t even want to allow and serve same-sex couples into Repuglican, what I call, _”Christian Taliban”_ places of business, rental housing, and other public or governmental services [like marriage certificates]) …!: oh that’s ‘*RRRRICH*’…!!

Bunch o’ VICTIM-COMPLEX *CRYBABIES*…!!

BBOOOO-*HHOOOO*…

AHHHH, STOP YOUR *BELLY-ACHING* AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR *OWN* FEELINGS AND STOP LOOKING FOR HAND OUTS OF FREE SYMPATHY FROM EVERYONE *ELSE*…!!:

LIFE AIN’T FAIR — DON’T YOU *KNOW* THAT?…

YOU REPUGS EXPECT THE WHOLE WORLD TO COME TO A STOP FOR YOU — *DON’T* YOU…

PULL YOURSELVES UP BY YOUR OWN EMOTIONAL *BOOTSTRAPS* AND STOP BUGGIN’ THE REST OF US.

WHY DO THE REST OF US HAVE TO LISTEN TO YOU REPUGS *COMPLAIN* ALL THE TIME..?

JEEEESH…

————————

[Now they know –just a micrometically *tiny* *tiny* *tiny* bit– how it *feels*…]

.

• zzz

Your post is impossible to make sense of.

• Lynne Kendig

You are in for a rude awakening when you step out into the real world.

• nice to know that you support the use of violence to suppress dissenting speech.

• trumpinator

Didn’t really run him out….the PD told him he has to go.

If it was up to Milo he would piss all over Antifa!

• C Bierbauer78

The right hides their intolerant speech behind sheets, then whines when anyone object to a cross burning on their lawn or University!!!!

• zzz

When was the last cross burning on the UCB campus?

• C Bierbauer78

There have been racist graffiti and nooses hung on campus. Too bad you can’t keep up, zzz. Maybe you should get out of bed more than once a day.

• zzz

So no one wearing sheets or cross burnings? Also who is wore these sheets and burned crosses and is now whining? Please follow the context of your own posts so that they make sense in series.

• mitchellanderson1

Do you even live in reality? Lol. The kkk were democrats moron

• C Bierbauer78

And democrats in the south were racist until Nixon’s Southern Strategy which caused them to abandon the Demos and Register Republican. The current Republican party is as racist as the pre 1860s Demos which they replaced

I know history is hard for you to grasp, but you look stupid when you get everything wrong.

• the tolerant left strikes again!

• jim hoch

If there were hate speech against other campus groups it would be a big deal.

• SMH

.

Some College *Repuglican* (jim hoch) complaining about so-called “hate speech” against a purely political student group (the College Repuglicans) that regularly invites nationally notorious ultra-right-wing *hate* speakers to campus.

Oh that’s *’rrrrrichhh’*…!

.

• jim hoch

Thank you for clarifying my political affiliation. Apparently both the state and myself were confused as something else is listed on the ballots I get. Suggest you retake freshman english and polish the crystal ball, it’s a little cloudy.

• SMH

Yo jim hoch…, whether you’re ultra-right-wing Repuglican, Angry White Nationalist, Ayn Rander, super-patriot, patriarchal right-wing Evangelical, gun rights absolutist, *capital* “L” Libertarian (who, like their last brain-addled presidential candidate, who didn’t know where or what Aleppo is, feels that white people *should* have a right to discriminate against various minorities), or whatever *other* brand of white right-winger you are…: who *gives* a f*ck…?

.

• TaiwanesefreedomMerica

“Ad Hominem” Ad Hominem” “Ad Hominem” “Baseless Assumption” “Ad Hominem” “Hitler Youth inspired threats and justifications for violence” – SMH

• jim hoch

But what I am not is a coward who like to takes at people under the an acronym.

• lspanker

If it weren’t for your alter ego Bierbauer, you would never get any upvotes.

• Dan

LOL!! And a racist too

• Dan

To Commie leftist like yourself. Any speech you disagree with, is hate speech.

• its only hate speech if its directed against the left’s voting constituency

• SMH

If you College Repuglicans can’t *take* it, then don’t dish it *out*!

.

• im not a berkeley college republican. besides, when in the past have the berkeley college republicans dished out hate speech and death threats? be specific please.

• SMH

Yo Caesar Merlin!… I guess you *missed* all the *current* (and over the past years) news stories about all the *self-knowingly* & *purposely* incendiary nationally notorious hate speakers the College Repuglicans have invited to campus. If not, then I am NNOTT your remedial news tutor. Go bug someone else — or back under your rock.

.

• C Bierbauer78

But, but but Hillary. Benghazi! but Obama!

• lspanker

The best you can do, troll.

• advocating the enforcement of federal immigration law is not hate speech.

• Dan

Don’t You mean all the Commie Facists that went around with sticks like brown shirts. Burning and breaking things. The anarchist punks that cry when their safe space is breached? You UnAmerican Commie leftist jerk off.

• Gregory Lu

yeah except “dishing it out” isnt trying to behead people. Please stop using false equivalencies, you’re making my head hurt.

• SMH

.

Maybe the College Republicans should **STOP** going as far out of their way as they can to invite the country’s most notorious, most loudmouth, hate speakers to campus — hate speakers who *admit* that they *INTEND* to purposely say the most incendiary things they can against minorities and political targets (after all that’s how such speakers make a living on TV, radio, print, and with their own personal cottage industries) — with notorious, *McCarthyite* hate speakers like David Horowitz handing out right-wing ads with progressive students’ names on them who Horowitz calls “terrorist-sympathizers”.

And *ironically* where did the College Republicans invite the self-proclaimed *purposely* incendiary hate speaker Milo Yiannopoulos (and the since then also self-admitted *pro-/pedophile*!) to speak?: AT THE _MARTIN LUTHER KING JR._ STUDENT UNION!! — and the College Republicans actually expected students/people of color and anti-racists to quietly just accept that.

Yo College Republicans!?:…: every hear, “YOU *REAP* WHAT YOU *SOW*”…?

So, College Republicans, *quit* your crocodile tears.

I liked the sign of a white protester at the aborted Milo event:

“IF YOU MAKE SPACES DANGEROUS FOR *US*,
    WE WON’T MAKE SPACES SAFE FOR *YOU*.”

——————————————————————————

You *NEVER* hear, or hear of, someone like the extremely prominent progressive DR. CORNEL WEST ever coming to a typically over-flowing Pauley Ballroom in the MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. Student Union to spew *hate* speech.

.