Free Speech Rally in Berkeley results in several injuries, 20 arrests

rally_jkilchling_staff
Julian Kilchling/Staff

The Free Speech Rally in Martin Luther King Jr. Civic Center Park quickly became violent Saturday as several members of the crowd were hit with pepper spray and numerous fights broke out. Berkeley Police Department made 20 arrests.

Eleven people were evaluated for injuries at the event, and seven were brought to local hospitals for treatment. Arrests include charges of assault with a deadly weapon and other felony assaults, according to an advisory from BPD. Police will continue to make arrests after reviewing social media footage and other video footage of the event, the advisory stated.

The park was divided by two bright orange nets by 10 a.m. On either side of the barrier, protesters and counter-protesters held large banners, one reading “Defend America” and another reading “Anti-Fascist Anti-Racist.” Protesters jumped over the barrier several times, eventually taking it down completely, and engaged in altercations with the opposing sides.

Rally attendee John Beavers said he sustained a broken nose after demonstrators “blindsided” him “with brass knuckles.” Johnny Cadavid, another demonstrator, said his head was hit by a bottle and rocks and that he was also pepper sprayed and maced. Cadavid added that he heard more than 20 explosions at the protest.

“We held our ground … held ourselves with integrity,” Cadavid said. “(I) didn’t come here for violence. If this nation doesn’t get more capacity for nuance, we’ll continue to have situations in which people think they have the right to throw explosives.”

Larry Michaelson and Brett Johnson, two demonstrators who identified themselves as members of Bay Area Antifa, said they were protesting in opposition of white supremacy. According to Johnson, “true Antifa” emphasizes the spirit of nonviolence. Johnson likened the group’s efforts to those of Martin Luther King Jr. and Mahatma Gandhi.

rallypolice_jkilchling_staff

Justin Kilchling/Staff

“Free speech has an air of white supremacy,” Michaelson said. “Since we have a white majority, the majority will drown out the minority.”

Members of several white supremacist organizations were present at the rally, including representatives from Identity Evropa, a rising alt-right group that identifies as “a generation of awakened Europeans who have discovered that (they) are part of the great peoples,” according to the organization’s website. Nathan Damigo, a member of Identity Evropa who was at the rally, said free speech and civilization are “an aspect of white culture.”

At about noon, protesters began marching down Allston Way. Some set off firecrackers and others threw bagels and rocks. BPD sent out an advisory about 12:45 p.m. notifying residents that large crowds had taken over Center Street and Allston Way between Milvia Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Way, and that Mutual Aid resources had been requested.

BPD sent another alert about 1:50 p.m. stating that part of the crowd had moved to Shattuck Avenue and Center Street, blocking roads. The Downtown Berkeley BART station was closed about 1:20 p.m. because of the rally. It remained closed until about 4 p.m., when protesters began to disband.

BPD arrested one individual about 4 p.m. and apprehended him for being intoxicated in public, according to BPD spokesperson Sgt. Andrew Frankel. Officers left the scene about 4:20 p.m.

On Friday, the city of Berkeley issued a press release stating that sticks, pipes, poles, pepper spray, eggs and any other instrument that can be used as an “implement of riot” would be banned in the park Saturday. Police seized numerous prohibited items Saturday, according to a BPD advisory, including a slew of sticks, wooden dowels and poles. Confiscated items included a stun gun, mace, knives, bear spray, an axe handle, pepper spray and a can filled with concrete.

“We have a number of officers at the park. Our mission is to safeguard our community while ensuring the peaceful expression of free speech,” said BPD Officer Byron White.

The Free Speech Rally was organized by Rich Black, who was also behind the “March 4 Trump” rally that took place last month and erupted into violence, resulting in seven injury evaluations and at least 10 arrests. Two of the arrests made at Saturday’s events were warrant arrests based on follow-up investigations into the March rally.

The rally featured multiple controversial far-right speakers, including Lauren Southern, a right-wing radio host, and Nicki Stallard, a Republican gun advocate and spokesperson for LGBT gun group Pink Pistols.

“(I’m) hoping to support free speech, especially in an area like Berkeley infested with the militant left,” Southern said.

Several of the individuals present at the rally did not actively engage in the demonstration. John Paul, a Bay Area resident, set up an easel and canvas at the intersection of Shattuck Avenue and Center Street so he could paint the scene of the protest. Manu Hussain, who attended the event with his wife and his infant daughter, said his family came to observe the rally, but not in support of President Donald Trump.

Hussain said he brought his daughter because he felt it was symbolic for her to witness her first protest.

“I see the same thing, people having heated conversations and expressing their anger,” Hussain said. “People are ready for confrontation. … I do not feel the desire for confrontation.”

The Defend the Bay! Bloc Party & Cookout counter-demonstration was set to take place two hours before the Free Speech Rally — scheduled for noon — though attendees of both events were in the park by 10 a.m. The goal of the counter-protest, according to its Facebook page, was to shut down the Free Speech Rally before it began.

“We’re here to take a stand,” said BAMN organizer Yvette Felarca. “We’re here to stand against … the whole Trump administration.”

At this time, there appears to be no damage to Downtown Berkeley businesses and no injuries to anyone not involved with the event, according to a BPD advisory.

Contact the Daily Californian News Staff at [email protected].

• Jim James

Oh look, it’s a Soros-paid shill.

• GrimnerTheMad

Wow. You seem to equate getting ogled at work and or having a tough time finding work when you’re pregnant with being forced to wear a burka, having no vote, and your word only counting for half of a mans in court as somehow equivalent? You are citing the completely debunked idea of “collage rape culture” even though statistically men suffer close to equal rates of sexual assault as women? A dress code you don’t like is equivalent to throwing gays off of buildings? You suggest I need to be taught how not to be a rapist? You openly discriminate against “white Men”?
    You are racist, sexist, and a bigot. Your own words prove this.
    You failed gender studies? Uh…. ok…
    So, if Islamic countries are so great, why don’t you move to one and see what happens when you openly talk your hate filled rhetoric there. You should treasure freedom of speech, because it allows you to express the the hate in your post with no repercussions.

• lspanker

Diversity – the state of being diverse.

In other words, you still can’t define it. Is that a mental limitation on your part or simply a refusal to do so?

• lspanker

What about Islam is incompatible with western idealogies. Everything you have said about western ideas of equality seems completely in line with the most extreme interpretations of Islamic law. It’s treatment of women and homosexuals is… like yours will be if women ever do get equality.

somebody should, like, look into the possibility that the Bible was largely… translated, compiled, censored, and published by, like, white men or something

How many “women of color” do you think were literate in Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic back them?

Men seek to control women’s bodies in the workplace. Fox News wouldn’t allow them to wear pants. They aren’t given maternity leave.

Men seek to control women’s bodies on college campuses by sexually assaulting them and then giving them weird looks in gender studies classes whenever the professor talks about rape. Oh gosh, that’s a personal experience!

I have to say this much: while there are plenty of posters here whom I disagree with, you have posted one of the most idiotic, nonsensical and uninformed screeds I have seen in a long time. You’re clearly an ignoramus whose small mind has been stuffed full of absolute nonsense…

• lspanker

That’s where you go For s*x!

Beats your mother… all she does is lay there and wonder when you’re brother’s coming home…

• lspanker

(and yes, it’s not of good form for me to make such comments, but sometimes certain people set themselves up for it)

• Jay Beswick

No story unless Yvette Felarca is interviewed in it! The Grand Wizard of BAMN, organizer of California riots and California Teachers Union funded! A good reason to support vouchers and bring down the teachers union.

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

Traitors like you Berzerkeley lefties deserve whatever you’re called or what happens to you

• Tpgavin

Easy son.

• lspanker

Unlike you, he can articulate his point as a grown adult.

• roccolore

Liberals hate free speech.

• KillerMarmot

By liberals I think you mean non-liberals who are now often referred to as liberals.

• lspanker

We’ll be fair and say leftists, then let the people who call themselves “liberals” decided for themselves if they wish to be old-school liberals and support free speech, or identify with the totalitarian left…

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

These Antifa thugs who got beat up had it coming. Its high time we take America back from these traitors.

• KillerMarmot

The free speechers showed up to demonstrate. The Antifa showed up to disrupt the demonstration using brass knuckles and mace.

I have no difficulty determining which side bears most responsibility.

• FreedomFan

The masks and rabid demands for censorship make it pretty easy to spot the bad guys.

• FreedomFan

“Free speech has an air of white supremacy”
    Perfectly stated. Leftists are trying to kill the Constitution and personal liberty.
    Democrats have always been masked, violent thugs–from the KKK to Blac Bloc.

• Nunya Beeswax

That’s kind of retarded. The Black Bloc doesn’t vote Democrat.

• FreedomFan

Yeah Black Bloc are big Trump fans, huh genius?

• Pietro Gambadilegno

They hate Trump and Republicans. They hate Democrates.
          In summary: They hate.

• Nunya Beeswax

And to compound your stupidity, you assume that there are only two choices.

• FreedomFan

How many genders are there, comrade?

• Nunya Beeswax

Depends on the language. There are three in Latin.

• FreedomFan

Yer smarter than the average Marxist.

• Nunya Beeswax

Well, that’s because I’m not a Marxist.

• FreedomFan

I see. Yer just a Black Bloc wannabe. Carry on.

• lspanker

Nunya is nothing of the kind, and if you had been around for a while, you would know that he his made his dislike for them quite clear.

• FreedomFan

He talks like the Sphinx.

• Pietro Gambadilegno

That’s because he is making fun of you.

• FreedomFan

He’s vewwwy smart. Must be a Cal grad.

• lspanker

I’m a Cal grad myself, and I think I have made it quite clear where I stand on this issue as well. Come on now, you don’t like it when the hard-core leftists make blanket statements, so please try not to go down the same path.

• lspanker

I have no problems understanding Nunya. We have our disagreements, but he’s certainly no supporter of Antifa/Black Block types as you seemed to suggest.

• Nunya Beeswax

Wrong again. I hate those guys.

• CalAlum99

“…and others threw bagels and rocks.” Bagels? My goodness!

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

And when they threw the cream cheese and lox it was a REAL mess.

• Arnie Santori

Alt Right average IQ is below sea level. Ignorant people, who now have computers, to communicate with one another. Pathetic.

• FreedomFan

Some Trump supporters are just as fascist as Democrats.

• lspanker

I’m a conservative and a Cal grad (BSChE 1995). When did you attend Cal again?

• ESPM360

Beware left. The days of no push back from the right are over. Beating up Trump supporters as you did in San Jose and Costa Mesa are not going to go your way any longer. See you in the field.

• Pietro Gambadilegno

I say the same to you: stay out of Berkeley.

• Khalisnky

I’ll just leave this here:

• lspanker

Excellent!

• drx1

Here’s a short clip …
    Brittany Pettibone speaking clips at Battle of Berkeley

Rumble in the Berkley Jungle – 4 min

The Battle of Berkeley in 81 seconds

• Freedom

The 1st video is worthless since you can barely hear what she’s saying.

the second one is a great example of the aggressive violence perpetrated by the so-called pro-trumpers.

The third is just more of the same.

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

Looks like the leftists started it and are just reaping what they sowed. Its high time these agitating malcontents got their heads handed to them by patriotic Americans who are tired of their progressive horse hockey!

• Freedom

Go watch it again. Damigo attacks 3 different people in 15 seconds and he’s off camera for 5 of those seconds (0:18-0:32).

Then witness the other trumpistas attacking. The maroon shirt and the yellow Jesus shirt.

Notice how they advance and yell “Charge”

• jake

MLK Jr is smiling in his grave. He knew first hand that you can’t stop voicing free speech simply because thugs threaten and commit violence against you. What the peaceful free speech marchers did yesterday reminds me so much of the courageous Selma Alabama marchers of the 1960s with MLK Jr. Even while being assaulted, they continued to march and voice free speech. The klan could not stop the freedom marchers of the 60’s, and the Berkeley left wing Terrorist could not stop the 2017 freedom marchers yesterday.

• Freedom

Yeah, they were really fighting for their civil rights yesterday, just like in Alabama.

You keep telling yourself that.

• jake

Learn ur history friend. Klan thugs tried to block the peaceful Marchers in Selma. Liberal thugs tried to block peaceful marchers in Berkeley. In case you don’t know all citizens has civil rights in this country. Freedom of speech is a civil right. Peacefully assembling and marching is a civil right. We stand side-by-side with our brothers and sisters of Selma Alabama. We are the 2017 freedom marchers. Yes, MLK Jr is smiling today. Freedom has won and the Berkeley terrorist were defeated by the freedom marchers of 2017

• Freedom

The klan were murdering people, bombing churches, burning houses and crosses.

The civil rights marchers in Selma did not come armed.

You have no idea what you’re talking about.

• lspanker

You miss the point. The lefties beating people up for exercising their free speech rights makes them no better than the Klan.

• Tizzie Lish

You don’t know, unless you are one of them, that the people beating up people were lefties. Masks obscure who is inciting violence and no one knows who the masked inciters are.

• lspanker

You don’t know, unless you are one of them, that the people beating up people were lefties.

Come one now with your garbage. The Black Bloc didn’t just start up yesterday, they have been at it for YEARS. You’re just another deranged liberal fruitcake, completely detached from reality,

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

Put the bong down, girlie girl

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

The Klan was part of the Democrats

• jake

Don’t try to dumb down. The clan wore hoods The klan denied committing violence too. The Berkeley terrorist wore hoods. History is repeating itself. And just like the evil klan were driven away, so will the hooded Berkeley terrorist. What we saw yesterday was Selma all over again. Indeed, Selma 2017 is upon us. And we stand together to fight the hooded Berkeley terrorist. U no longer control the narrative. We have our freedom back and intend to exercise our speech. We will not stop until all of the hooded Berkeley terrorist are defeated and tried for somewhere right violations. AG Sessions is no stranger to hooded thugs. He prosecuted. and sent to jail in Alabama. He help defeat the klan. He will not tolerate a new black hooded Klan that tries to intimidate and valet the civil rights a peaceful loving American patriots.

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

The Klan was the thug arm of the Democrat Party

• drx1

So

• jake

Finally Americans are waking up to the alt left terrorist thugs that occupy the city and campus Berkeley. If the police can’t protect us against these thugs, we will protect ourselves and walk over them like the dirt they are.

• Tizzie Lish

right wing loonies are a lot like the ManBoyLyingDog president. They just spew made up nonsense to fit their own agenda, truth be damned. The is no alt left terrorism. the right made that up to garner attentin and, or so it seems, have fights and instill fear. The right nutters succeeded, shutting down our farmers market because they seed fear in Berkeley as they signaled their true intentions were inciteful and not at all about free speech.

Berkeley would not stop a group from having speakers. No speakers yesterday, did anyone notice? Just righties looking to fight and lefties standing up to their factic of using fear to incite that violence.

• lspanker

right wing loonies are a lot like the ManBoyLyingDog president. They just spew made up nonsense to fit their own agenda, truth be damned.

This from the woman who tells us the following:

* Men resent the power woman have because they can have babies, and men can not.
        * People living in Africa are happier than those living in America, and certainly would never want to come here.
        * The Black Bloc is comprised of right-wing agent provocateurs trying to make liberals look bad.
        * Berkeley would not stop a group from having speakers.

And you wonder why a talk show host and Berkeley alum says that liberalism is a mental disorder?

• jake

Oh now u leftwing but jobs are going to tell us what’s required to have free speech. Do you’re homework, we did have speakers although not required. Moderate liberals and independents are turning against ur tactics in droves. Keep it up. Trump will win easy in 2020. Kind of like Bush did after his first win in 2000. Remember how u all made up the original fake news and said he stole Florida? Lol He win by more there 4 years later. Why? Because moderates and independents were tired or the leftwing terrorist protest and lies about a unfair election. Ha ha. Same thing in 2020z We took the House. Then the Senste. Then the White House. Then the Supreme Court. And not we taken Berkeley. Soon it will be the rest of California. The illegals are leaving in mass numbers. Order has been restored. The Berkeley terrorist days are numbered. America patriots or tired of the lawlessness in that rat hole

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

Put a tampon in it you stupid cow

• KillerMarmot

The Antifa are used to facing little opposition to their bullying. I wonder if they were shocked that someone actually pushed back.

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

Yeah…seeing that one Antifa clown get a hard punch in the schnozz made my day.

• KillerMarmot

Will the existence of an opposition that hits back deter or encourage Antifa?

Bullies — and the Antifa are certainly that — are often discouraged by victims who refuse to be victims. On the hand, many of the Antifa may be in it for the violence. They are looking for a rumble.

• Theodor Witter 🐸🥛

I consider this rally a full success. While the media might spin their own leftist narrative (aka alternative facts), it sent a clear message to the SJWs, AntiFa thugs and communists:
    – Intimidating people with threats of violence doesn’t work anymore.
    – Using violence against your opponents will come back at you. (Don’t even think about going further, because in the end, the tough guys, the police and the people with the guns are not on your side)
    – No safe spaces for commis.

– Losers gonna lose.

• lspanker

Ooh, cry like a baby because your great proletariatan revolution isn’t going as planned. Some of us tried to warn you hard-left retards what would happened if you kept pushing your luck with your violence – now you’re seeing the consequences up close.

• Anax of Rhodes

A sad day for free speech when people resort first to violence. :-(

• dimitri

Civil war….drums are beating in the distant horizon. More to come, no doubt.

• David Harrington

Why are Dernald’s little minded suckers coming from the dumb belt to cause trouble in Berkeley? There are plenty of other misled comrades at home in Missouri etc to cheer them on to nowhere. They are just looking for fights and riots. SAD! VERY SAD! Dernald please tell your flying monkeys to stop stirring up rational enclaves like Berkeley.

• lspanker

You should have asked the question when all the anarcho-commie turds descended on Ferguson, MO. The hard left wanted violence, and now is apparently shocked when they got what they wished for…

• zzz

Why for years has the Bay Area been the rioting zone for west coast anarchists? I find your complaint interesting considering the history of the Black Bloc types. Trumpians are late on the riot scene, the Black Bloc types have been destroying property on May Days for years.

• Tizzie Lish

I’ve been living in Bay Area for eleven years and there have been no riots.

And I don’t think anyone knows who the Black Bloc jerks are. It is too easy to project that they are lefties when they could be paid by righties. The masks are not leftist style.

• lspanker

JFC, you lie.

t is too easy to project that they are lefties when they could be paid by righties.

Except the Black Bloc and the violence and mayhem they bring predate Milo, predate Trump, and even predate Bush II. You’re not even interested in dealing with reality. You’re like the Baghdad Bob of Berkeley.

• zzz

“Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead.”

Benjamin Franklin

If they were being paid to riot the secret would last about 15 minutes.

If you go to their web pages you can see their politics, they are anarchists and communists. They try and distance themselves from the left but they latch onto all the same causes. masks may not be liberal, but it is leftist.

They have been rioting in the Bay Area for years, there are now chapters in a fair number of areas, Denver, Portland Seattle, etc… wherever leftism has reached a certain point, they explicitly state they are happy to use violence as a weapon. They claim violence as a tactic so I’m happy to give them credit.

They have been latching onto protests and using them for cover to riot repeatedly in the Bay Area and elsewhere.

• GrimnerTheMad

But the KKK wear masks, and they’re a Democrat Party institution. What about them?

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

God will deal with Berzekeley….at 10.1 on the Richter Scale…..

• Fandom Cheergurl

Why are the liberal protesters always dressed in black with face masks? Are they embarrassed to show their face?
    By the way, many people of different ethnic background support President Trump. Perhaps these anti-Trump protesters need to take off their racist-spectacles and look around. President Trump and his administration are enforcing the law and those opposed to his policies don’t like it!

• WedjLok

Once again, the “tolerant” Left shows it true colors by dishing out violence to anyone that does not share their mentally unstable views. Ironic how all of the past remarks about such movements as the Tea Party and people being called racist for many other colorful words, and there was not violence at those events. But every time these Leftist nutjobs get together, it always ends up violent. Just goes to show the mentality of them all.

• mlight

Were you there? I didn’t think so.

• Pietro Gambadilegno

If you lived in Berkeley, you would know that the black bloc and others who advocate violence represent a small fringe group. They do not represent the left in general. Most people on the left would like to see them arrested, so we could have peaceful protests and free speech on both sides again.

Don’t believe the lies of antifa, when it claims to represent the left.

• Rob Vance

The black bloc is only doing what other leftists would do if they had balls. Nice attempt at distracting from the real connection that exists. Not buying it. Socialists have been using this technique for a long time – call it hard/soft, call it what you will. It leads to the same place –
        where the irredeemables go to the camps.

• Pietro Gambadilegno

Not true. Have you heard about what the ACLU has done to defend freedom of speech – even for Nazis?
          https://www.aclu.org/other/aclu-history-taking-stand-free-speech-skokie

You are just showing that you are ignorant of history.

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

The ACLU was founded by a Communist and stands for All Criminals Love Us. They’re a putrid subversive organization that also defends terrorists and murderers. Eff ’em

• Pietro Gambadilegno

so you agree that some on the left do back free speech even for Nazis.

No matter how much you dislike them, you have to admit that they are on the left and that they do support free speech.

• lspanker

• Tizzie Lish

Most Berkeley left activists were in SF at the rally to demand Trump’s tax returns.

• lspanker

Isn’t it hilarious how a mob of people who for the most part advocate sponging off the government, care sooooo much about a man who had probably paid more in federal income taxes than any 1000 of them? It’s all part of the ongoing tantrum over losing an election, nothing more.

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

In 2005 he paid more than $38 million in taxes…more than you and the rest of you losers will ever see in your pathetic lives.

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

Horse manure.

• WedjLok

Sorry, it’s not just Berkeley. It’s all over this country (and others). It has happened in my city as well, just not on that scale (yet) and that’s mainly because our city is much more conservative and the police here have a tighter grip on reality, as well as updated profiles of the regular troublemakers, and they keep a close eye on them during their “protests”.

I can’t say whether or not that antifa claims to represent the left as a whole, however, the left is far more tolerable of these tactics (the past Tea Party rallies and the left’s response to them is a good example). However, antifa is a disruptive, communistic based philosophy, and so they have a LOT more in common with the left in general.

• lspanker

I have to laugh when I see the side wearing masks and burning American flags whining about the opposition being “bullies”…

• David Power

To understand what’s happening here, first you must understand that the Left is conducting a four pronged assault on White Western Culture…

– Multiculturalism.
    – Feminism.
    – Mass Immigration.
    – Abortion.

And each prong is tipped with a poisonous Lie…

– Diversity is our strength.
    – Women don’t need Men.
    – Islam is a religion of peace.
    – Unborn children are subhuman.

Anyone daring to fight back or even talking about fighting back, must be immediately silenced by any means possible. Including violence.

• Gennady Notowidigdo

THIS. 100% well said!

• baybutter123

Way overblown. Don’t fight hyperbole with more hyperbole.

Multiculturalism
      Diversity is our strength, but we need a strong collective identity as well

Feminism
      The issue with 3rd wave feminism is not the idea that “women don’t need men”, it’s the hijacking of the social sciences with radical gender theory as well as the confusion of equal opportunity with equal outcome.

Mass Immigration
      See Sam Harris’s last appearance on Real Time. The war with Islam should be a war of ideas. We need to empower moderate muslims, not enact hamfisted and inflammatory immigration laws.

Abortion
      Abortion should be legal as a matter of personal liberty. Unborn “children” are also not human the way that you and I are. The brain doesn’t even begin to form until about the 5th week of pregnancy.

• David Power

You need to sue that collage. It’s turned you into a fool.

• baybutter123

How do you sue a collage?

• jake

Liberals. The most racist bigoted people on this planet. End discrimination, abolish Affirmative Action. Government sanctioned discrimination against babies born with white skin and a penis

• Nunya Beeswax

If Max Ernst were still alive, he’d be worried.

• ApplegateRanch

By hiring a lawyer. Geeze, are you really that ignorant?

• TNT

Unborn children are human, just in an early stage of development. They are not like you or I but neither are geriatrics (unless you are one because I am not).

• Tizzie Lish

Males have hijacked nearly all theories about everything for millenia and women only have been able to contribute their theories for about 100 years. At the turn of the 20th Century, in this country, women were chattel, owned by men just as men owned cows.

Women attempting to apply new lenses (theories) to social sciences and every other subject is as much their right as it is male right to have theories.

• lspanker

Wow, you’re a complete loony, even for a feminist.

• GrimnerTheMad

“Women were owned”. What man hating bullshit. Women and children first in the life boats. Fathers and husbands laying down their lives for their families…..
          Tizzie, I’m going to guess you don’t have a healthy relationship with your own father and seek to project that onto the rest of the world. I’m sorry for you and I hope you don’t continue to fill your life with hatred for half the human race.

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

Get back to the ironing, heifer…..but first get your man a beer and fix him a sammitch.

• Pietro Gambadilegno

This is the guy who said: “affirmative action insults my intelligence.”

Now, why don’t you try to show us that you have some intelligence to be insulted.

• suqsid4

>> Abortion should be legal as a matter of personal liberty.

Liberty defined through killing. You’re an idiot.

• Hussein Obama

Exactly David, the left hates the melting pot

• mlight

David – college could have helped you out a bit. Feminism doesn’t mean women don’t need men and it has never meant that. Not in the 60s and not now. I’m not going to explain what it does mean, you can do that yourself. Look up diversity and multiculturalism too while you
        are at it. Your world view is a little small. Good luck with that.

• lspanker

Look up diversity and multiculturalism too while you are at it.

I have asked those on the left to come up with a rigorous definition of “diversity” AND present an argument as to why it’s so desirable, and so far none of them are willing to do it. Why is that again, other than the fact that they like to change the definitions of words as they go for whatever is politically convenient at the moment?

• zzz

Diversity isn’t a good thing, it also isn’t a bad thing, it’s just a thing.

When the left talk about diversity they do not mean diversity of thought for the predominate culture, asking a leftist what diversity is will always be a futile question as the answer is always going to be based on who you are talking about and who you are when talking about it. It’s a fluid concept based on the races and religions of the people involved. It helps if self loathing is a factor.

Thats just my guess.

• catluvr

Diversity is a good thing. However, some so-called diversity is detrimental to society. For example, immigrants from countries with a civilized culture are helpful. Immigrants from stone-age, violent cultures are detrimental. Common sense.

• Mackalia

For the Left “Diversity” is like a bag of M&M’s, everyone looks different on the outside but on the inside they’re all the same, like a bag of bright, colorful, candy coated chocolate. The differences are literally superficial, everyone has to have the. exact. same. beliefs about everything.

DIVERSITY is THE new Conformity!

“Are we to believe, after all, that students emerge from high school already radicalized, armed with the language of victimstance, and dedicated to the principles of Foucaultian post-modernism or Judith Bulter’s radical feminism? Of course not. Students are indoctrinated into the ideological gestalt of the Total University the moment they arrive on campus. This is why their protests appear to be more performance art than substance, more rhetorical than conscientious, and ever more clichéd. Their protests are not acts of defiance, as they maintain, but acts of compliance.”

The University as a Total Institution, John Paul Wright.

• catluvr

WRONG! Everyone is not alike inside. Most people have similarities and can get along very very well. However, some cultures have a rotten core which cannot mesh with others. Example, Germany and Jews during WWII.

• catluvr

They won’t answer. They are afraid someone will call them a name. Words are their weapons; that’s why they insult and call names all the time. Also, they have no critical or independent thinking skills.

• GrimnerTheMad

“I’m not going to explain what it does mean” Of course you

• Tizzie Lish

1. It would take a fair bit of writing to explain all the misunderstandins misconceptions of the words he wrote.

2. He will be better off getting educated about gender equality, diversity. Does he actually know ANYthing about Islam. It sure doesn’t seem like he does. He seems like he has been poisoned by others hate of those who are different.

3. I think the central issue of men seeking to dominate and control women (and their bodies) is women can have babies and conceive them with any man. Men NEED women to have babies and they just can’t stand not having the power to bring new humans into the world. I believe men’s fear of women’s power is deep and very few men get that this fear is at the root of misogyny. For survival, all women need is sperm and as they propagate new males, each generation can generate new sperm. Men know this but are in denial: women do not need men. Only sperm.

• GrimnerTheMad

Ridiculous. I suppose that gender studies courses are the place to get a proper education on these topics? Islam is an ideology incompatible with western ideas of equality And justice. It’s treatment of homosexuals and women alone should inspire, at the least, caution. Men seek to control women’s bodies? What men? Where? Hateful feminists rhetoric. Show me these men. The men I know love their wives, daughters, and mothers.

• Nunya Beeswax

“Seeking to control women’s bodies” is code for being anti-abortion.

• GrimnerTheMad

Ok. I thought most anti-abortion activists were women. How does this become a gendered thing?

• C Bierbauer78

Jim Kopp, the abortion assassin, wasn’t a woman until he was sent to prison. Now he’s Bubba’s Wife!

• lspanker

He will be better off getting educated about gender equality, diversity.

Please define what you mean by “gender equality, diversity”. Do those have concrete definitions, and can you likewise explain why they are so desirable in the first place, or are they merely virtue-signaling touchie-feelie buzzwords whose meaning flexes as politically expedient?

• blackjackbouvier

Never had a GF even once? So sad.

• stormyseaward

Gender equality – the idea, crazy as it may seem, that women and men deserve equal rights and equal pay. Furthermore, women should have rights to reproductive health care and the same choice to not have a child as a man – that one is pretty big. Diversity – is the state of being diverse. Variety. When applied to gender equality, it means understanding and respecting the intersevtiinality of gender within different groups. Like, gender differences have differing levels of significance and create different limitations for different groups of women. It also means respect for trans women and gay women and disabled women and stuff. It’s like, basically, what ways is your life different from that of a white male?!? What can we do to make the chances for success in your life more like that of a white man’s?!? Idk why, when you clearly embrace your role as a white man and place it so high on a goddamn pedestal, you don’t understand why other groups would want equal access to that lifestyle. It is so confusing.

• lspanker

Gender equality – the idea, crazy as it may seem, that women and men deserve equal rights and equal pay.

Men and women have equal rights. As far equal pay, please present your argument as to (1) why there should be “equal pay” for men and women, when even men are not paid equally among themselves, (2) what criteria should be used to determine “equal pay”, and (3) who should be in charge of enforcing it.

Diversity – is the state of being diverse.

In other words, no specific meaning, to be interpreted as convenient to the moment. Thanks for telling me what I already expected.

it means understanding and respecting the intersevtiinality of gender within different groups.

WTF?

Like, gender differences have differing levels of significance and create different limitations for different groups of women.

Huh?

It also means respect for trans women and gay women and disabled women and stuff.

Who defines “respect” and how is it enforced?

What can we do to make the chances for success in your life more like that of a white man’s?!?

Taking personal responsibility for one’s destiny, as is expected from most white men in this country, would be the first step.

Idk why, when you clearly embrace your role as a white man and place it so high on a goddamn pedestal,

Evidence that I do such, please.

It is so confusing.

Given your lack of interest in applying logical thought processes to what you just posted, I’m not surprised.

• GrimnerTheMad

More racist and sexist rants against “White Males”. Do you truly see the white male as both God and Devil in your sick religion? Both all powerful creators of civilization and the heartless persecutors of all other demographics?
            Try replacing the word “white male” with “Jews” or “Black Women” before you post, unless you LIKE to virtue signal to other racists.

• lspanker

I think the central issue of men seeking to dominate and control women (and their bodies) is women can have babies and conceive them with any man. Men NEED women to have babies and they just can’t stand not having the power to bring new humans into the world.

ROTFLMAO! I’m upset because I can’t have a baby?

You got that completely backwards. It is WOMEN who desperately want to have babies because it justifies their existence as a woman, it is women who need men to not only conceive babies but support them as well, and is the reason they are willing to hook up with some real bozos to do it. You’re a real hoot, Tizzie. All the women I have ever met who peddle that nonsense are the types who hate men because they are either too unattractive to find one in the first place, or just too annoying/unappreciative/miserable to keep a man around for any period of time.

• blackjackbouvier

Taking a guess – you’re single, right?

• lspanker

Yep,single,and quite happy to be that way.

• Pietro Gambadilegno

Both men and women are wired by evolution to want to have babies – for very obvious reasons. If someone’s genes programmed them not to want babies, those genes would die out.

Most animals act in the way that their genes dictate, but of course, people have the ability to make decisions that go against their evolutionary programming.

• Pietro Gambadilegno

You need to study a bit of basic evolutionary psychology. It is too much to explain in a comment, but take a look at the chapter on gender differences in any textbook: there is a very clear evolutionary basis for the differences between males and females among birds and mammals – including humans – and it has nothing to do with your dogmatic fantasies.

• stormyseaward

Church.

• lspanker

women do not need men. Only sperm.

Does that mean our government can stop forcing men to pay women child support? Is that really what you want?

• Nunya Beeswax

Diversity is, like zzz says, a thing. We already have cultural diversity in the US. It’s got both good and bad effects.

As far as multiculturalism goes, here’s my observation : you can have the cultural cohesiveness that comes with nurturing and protecting your minority culture, or you can have assimilation and all the benefits that come with it. If you choose to stay true to your minority culture, there is inevitably going to be some friction between your culture and the dominant culture, especially in areas where there are strong prohibitions. And if you choose to assimilate, to become fully American in culture, then you lose your patrimony. It’s a trade-off.

Of course, there is another effect of cultural diversity, and it’s that the cultures begin to affect one another. Again, this is neither good nor bad–it’s a natural process. Cultures borrow things from each other all the time. Cultural appropriation happens as well, and is also inevitable. It’s fine to express disapproval about insensitivity, but whining because everybody else has discovered the deliciousness of kebab (for example) is just silly. Get over it.

• suqsid4

You’re an idiot.

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

What a maroon!

• Tpgavin

“White western culture” thats the problem right there. You are a racist and don’t know it. I’m white btw

• lspanker

You’re an idiot who screams “racism” whenever your small mind can’t handle the facts.

• blackjackbouvier

Did you even date in HS?

• lspanker

Do you have anything do add to the discussion?

• lspanker

Never needed to, given that your mother was willing to give it away… :O)

• David Power

So in your book…

Black culture = good
        Hispanic culture = good
        Asian culture = good
        Native American culture = good
        White culture = bad

Oh, and you’re a self-loathing Liberal twit btw.

• John Jakob

and every one wants to come and live in the countries that white culture built . wonder why that is . every muslim country and every black country with a black leader are cesspools of humanity and dictatorship . and they all want to access the social system paid for by whites .

• Pietro Gambadilegno

Have you ever been to Japan? Taiwan? South Korea?

• lspanker

I have spent quite a bit of time in both Japan and Korea, and I can tell you this much. Those people don’t have any higher regard for Africans or Muslims than anyone in America. That’s not to defend them, that’s just a statement of fact. The idea of “multiculturalism” in Japan is alien and bizarre as far as they are concerned.

• Tizzie Lish

My sister, white, who now lives in Shanghai and has lived in S. Korea, Japan, Egypt, Kuwait, Albania. She spent her last year of college studying in Japan. She has said the Japanese are very racist, that they believe all whites are dumber than the Japanese (altho they ‘act’ polite). Sis has said that the Japanese in general tend to look upon whites as many in this country racistly look down on blacks and since she is a racist bigot, she found it particularly appalling that so many Japanese people assumed she was an idiot.

She also reported that Egyptians as a whole really really hate the USA, even though they are one of our largest recipients of foreign aid. We don’t hear about Egyptian immigrants to this country, do we? A sidebar paragraph!

• lspanker

Sis has said that the Japanese in general tend to look upon whites as many in this country racistly look down on blacks

You know that’s not correct. They tend to look down on blacks a lot more than whites.. Having made several dozen trips and spent the equivalent of over a couple of years in Japan, I know what I speak of. Wakarimasu ka?

• Pietro Gambadilegno

my point is that he said:
            every one wants to come and live in the countries that white culture built
            But white culture did not build Japan, and I don’t see them fleeing their country.
            Clearly, they are not multicultural. They are a very insular culture.

• lspanker

I won’t argue with your point there – ’tis a fair cop. I was just interjecting my particular experiences in Asia…

• lspanker

white culture did not build Japan

True to a great extent, but if you recall your history of modern Japan, the arrival of Commodore Perry’s Black Ships gave the Meiji Emperor a sobering wake-up call, and actually spurred an effort by the Japanese government to recognize some of the benefits produced by western society and to learn from the whites, given that the French, British, American and Dutch were called upon to provide assistance with railroads, weapons, naval vessels and the like, which resulted in a complete reversal of the isolationist path pursued for centuries by the Shogunate.

Japanese may regard gaijins as being barbaric and uncouth, but not necessarily stupid. which is why I took an exception to Tizzie’s comments. My experience with the Japanese is that how one acculturates to them is often viewed as a marker of intelligence, so if Tizzie’s sister was regarded as stupid, it was in all likelihood due to her behavior, perhaps the tendency of some self-centered people not to try to learn something about the language or culture of a country they are visiting, or a lack of observation or respect for their customs.

• Pietro Gambadilegno

You are right that the Japanese tend to adopt the best from other cultures they come in contact with. But I would not call them a country that white culture built.

Tizzie’s sister shares genes with Tizzie. Nuff said.

• stormyseaward

Ok. No it isn’t.

• lspanker

Ok. No it isn’t.

WHAT isn’t? You care to be specific?

• Tizzie Lish

Have you ever been to Zambia, Namibia, S. Africa? yes there is poverty for many but the quality of life is usually better than here. Don’t be fooled, btw, if you are blessed to spend time with indigenous tribes in Namibia or Zambia by what looks like primitive living: they are happy and the things that make them unhappy tend to come from white european culture.

• lspanker

Funny, but many of the people I know from South Africa are glad to leave that place.

• GrimnerTheMad

You should move there.

• Ann Knowles

Tizzie what a silly reply. I have been to and spent time in all those countries and more. Good Greif quality of life? washing their clothes in ditches sleeping on the streets with news papers for blankets. I cant even remember how many loaves of bread I brought to distribute to the homeless boys some as young as 4 with runny noses dirt covered and sleeping together for comfort don’t tell me about quality of life as for those still living in their mud and grass huts how can they be happy when they beg money just for food and basics and to buy their hand made jewelry begging you to buy it and you can see their skinny kids starved there is no happiness their just existence. Of course some do better than others but your comment is just ridiculous and all the deaf of handicapped children abandoned on the streets we collected to start a deaf school. They are NOT happy they are clawing at survival every one of them would leave to come to America if they could

• stormyseaward

You’re insane. What kids have you ever given “loaves of bread” to?!? That isn’t even a pragmatic food to take starving ppl.

• lspanker

Who are you to call others “insane” when you come to this forum insisting that the USA invented slavery? Nobody here needs to take a deranged loon like you seriously.

• GrimnerTheMad

Holy cow!
            Was that really said? Are these people trolls? I came back here today and some of this stuff is crazy! I was showing my coworkers. They never come back to defend these points.

• Bob

Well Tizzie, you can’t be a feminist because you’re “normalizing” some legitimate rape cultures with that post. And let’s not forget the rampant female genital mutilation that occurs in Africa.

I acknowledge that we’re a spoiled people who have raised an entire generation of unthankful, politically retarded brats but that doesn’t change the fact that Western Culture puts all others to shame. Ours is the only culture that is self-reflective. That means we argue, and think, and argue some more and as a result, our culture actually changes thanks only to internal forces. For example, we Westerners engaged in slavery, like every other culture on every continent, but unlike them, we came to realize the evil of slavery on our own. We not only outlawed slavery in the West but shoved that correct idea down the throats of every other culture in the world. Thanks to our righteous efforts, every country in the world has outlawed slavery (shout-out to the African country of Mauritania which was the last to outlaw slavery in 1981!) though slavery is still openly practiced in parts of Northern Africa and the Middle East, which is the heartland of human chattel slavery, if you will.

Sorry but no culture and no political system has ever done more good for more people than Westernculture and European liberal democracy. Mic drop!

• stormyseaward

The United States invented chattel slavery and the Atlantic slave trade and colonization’s impact on the African continent are still felt. Yawn. Female genital mutilation was also taken to the content by foreign cultures.

Slavery as practiced in the United States was uniquely horrific and oppressive, don’t fool yourself. We didn’t exactly act right following the civil war. We never gave out a single acre or mule. We entered the era of Jim Crow and bone you act like white ppl built this country, freed the slaves, and taught the rest of the world how to be kind and loving to others – as you openly oppose other cultures. Go eat a bag of black dicks, dude.

• lspanker

The United States invented chattel slavery and the Atlantic slave trade

You’re an idiot. Slavery has existed since Biblical times (and probably even before that) and the Spanish and Portugese were engaging in the Atlantic slave trade a full 200 years before there was a United States of America. Please don’t bring such nonsense here and pretend you have a clue as to what you are talking about. You sound like one of those ignorant fools who “learned” everything they know from Louis Farrakhan or one of his fruitcake acolytes.

• GrimnerTheMad

Thanks for this onsite! I often struggle to find signs that our civilization might have what it takes to break the cycle of empire that I see us following.

• Jeff Bogner

Low IQ White trash you mean.

• jake

End discrimination. Abolish Affirmative Action. Or true Americans will

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

I’m a Black man and I find Affirmative Action demeaning and it insults my intelligence.

• jake

Then maybe u will demand we end government sponsored discrimination. By abolishing Affirmative Action. U know, the law that violates the US Constitution by disadvantaging babies born with white skin and a penis.

• Tizzie Lish

White western culture has conquered, usually cruelly, most of the world save, gee I wonder if this means anything, the Muslim world and parts of Asia. But White Western ‘Culture’ has eviscerated cultures all over the globe — not, this white person believes (I am white) because they are superior but because they are inferior and will stoop to violence to get what they greedily want.

We have no idea what a globally diverse world with the shared values of kindness, sharing and nonviolence would look like mostly because whites act like the neo-nazi protestors have acted in Berkeley: violence, bullying, etc.

I have expected some whites to get very ugly as the human race, including the population of this country, gets to the point where whites will not be the majority. Whites afraid of having more Latinos in ths USA than white europeans act like children having tantrums instead of seeking to contribute to a near, shared, diverse and caring culture.

• lspanker

We have no idea what a globally diverse world with the shared values of kindness, sharing and nonviolence would look like

And you think removing white folks and the effect of Western Civilization would help? My, you’re quite the loony. You’re almost as big of a fruitcake as OpenFullHeart and justiceplease.

• Pietro Gambadilegno

Tizzie Lish and OpenFullHeart are the same person. She lives on Oxford St.
            JusticePlease is a different person.

• lspanker

That answers one question… and for the record, I don’t want or need to know where these people live.

• GrimnerTheMad

You have a very racist view of history Tizzie. You know the history in gender studies is “revisionist”?

• lspanker

She’s a loony.

• lspanker

a near, shared, diverse and caring culture.

Like those dead women and girls raped, murdered, and buried in the desert by your “caring” narcotrafficantes, correct?

Female homicides in Ciudad Juárez
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_homicides_in_Ciudad_Ju%C3%A1rez

Thrown from bridges, horrifically mutilated, raped or simply ‘disappeared’: Inside the Mexican state where 900 women have either vanished or been murdered and 1,200 raped in a single year
          http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3239700/Thrown-bridges-horrifically-mutilated-raped-simply-disappeared-Inside-Mexican-state-900-women-vanished-murdered-1-200-raped-single-year.html#ixzz4eSfv2cud

Mexico’s epidemic of missing and murdered women
          http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/mexicos-epidemic-of-missing-and-murdered-women/article25137141/

And of course idiot feminists like you want open borders, right?

The stupidity of your type knows no bounds…

• Pietro Gambadilegno

The Bantus did the same in Africa. The Chinese did the same in Asia. The Aztecs did worse in Mexico.

Ants fight constant wars for territory.

Territorial expansion is wired into humans and other animals by evolutionary pressures. It was not invented by white western culture.

• ApplegateRanch

Have to wonder if she even knows (or cares) that her beloved, peaceful Muslims used the sword…and artillery…not once, but twice, to invade Europe, all the way to the gates of Vienna. Never mind their military conquests of Iberia, North Africa, the Middle East, Persia, and India, among others.

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

You live in a dream world…put the bong and the crack pipe down..

• Jeff Bogner

Spot on!

• Tizzie Lish

Nonsense.

• Wabbit

Here you are, practicing your free speech: http://www.modbee.com/news/local/turlock/article144886889.html

We’ll beat you like we beat your hero, Adolf.

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

According to Godwin’s Law, you lose, LOSER!

• lspanker

That’s Wabbit’s stock in trade, and the reason he has to change his handles on a regular basis.

• Wabbit

Wow. This could very well be the most stupid comment ever left by a troll here, and competition is difficult. Congratulations, WINNER!

• Wabbit

This photo is from Berkeley. From the demonstration we are discussing here. Godwin’s law is about people who connect everything to Nazism. I didn’t make the connection – the Nazis came there.

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

I’m Black and I agree with you

• stormyseaward

Diversity isn’t our only strength, but it IS a strength that the people of this nation have collectively chosen to support over the alternative time and time again. Feminism does not mean women don’t need men. It is simply the notion that women are equal to men despite gender differences. I would point out that western values – as in, those first formed in Ancient Greece, the birthplace of western culture – have traditionally run in opposition of these two values. Nobody on the left wants mass immigration. That is absurd. Abortion is hardly an assault on white, western culture, but the denial of access to abortion is absolutely an assault on white, western women as well as all women. I think the supporters of the right really overvalues white, western culture while failing to recognize that politicians who employ these little racist dog whistles really get into power and do everything possible to allow the very wealthy to become wealthier.

Basically, nobody cares about those issues except YOU. Everybody else considers them a given. Feminism? Multiculturalism? Abortion? Immigration?!? LMAO… the entire world is on board with these except for absolutely archaic, brutal societies.

• GrimnerTheMad

The entire world is on board with feminism? No. Not even the majority of women are on board with feminism. As for the rest of those issues I think people are entitled to and should have nuanced opinions on these issues. Multiculturalism, abortion, and immigration are tough issues and there are strong arguments on all sides. To think otherwise is pretty narrow minded. Also to think that “nobody cares about these issues” is silly. These are important issues that matter to lots of people, and they should. They reflect a lot on our cultures collective morals. Often the “feel good” position isn’t one that favoures “the greater good”

• HATU

As usual the police stand by and let free speech get trampled. Shame on Berkeley!

• baybutter123

The police are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. There is no simple answer for how they should approach these situations.

• Bruce

baybutter thats BS , they are to keep the street quite . the second group is all ways in the wrong , THEY are there to start trouble .

• Tizzie Lish

No one would have been ‘there’ if Trumpers, few from Berkeley, had not decided to come here and rumble. Did you note there was no evidence of sound equipment or a platform for their speakers, absolutely no attempt to have the neo-nazi speakers speak? They could have set up a small platform for a stage, brought in sound equipment and offered speakers but no sign of that: just right winger idiots looking to rumble.

• GrimnerTheMad

Wow. You are biased eh? A group gathers, another comes solely to disrupt, and the disruptive group is the victims?

• lspanker

Tizzie is a classic left-wing Berkeley loony, completely out of touch with the real world around her.

• GrimnerTheMad

I know. I don’t know why I think it’s possible to debate someone into open mindedness or tolerance. It’s important to call out faulty logic when you see it. It’s interesting how the lefties in this thread assume that conservatives would shut down other opinions if they’ve had the power to. Classic projection.

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

Do you have a problem with the Bill of Rights?

• Freedom

That barrier they set up to keep the opposing protesters separate was pathetic. It should have been wider and if they really could put up a better “wall” between them they should have placed police officers in between to bolster it – not necessarily a wall of cops but maybe every 10 yards or so.

• Pietro Gambadilegno

I have seen police do that, but only after they got aid from the National Guard. Local police forces don’t have enough people to do what you want to do.

• Tizzie Lish

Esp. at unpermitted rallies where the organizers manage to evade paying for the extra costs to Berkeley. Why does Berkeley allow unpermitted events like this and why doesn’t Berkeley ask for payment for the added costs?

• lspanker

Esp. at unpermitted rallies where the organizers manage to evade paying for the extra costs to Berkeley.

You lefty kook-doodles are a laugh. Once minute, you don’t want them to have permits, the next minute you’re upset that they DON’T have permits. Face it, you just can’t deal with your little Berkeley sanctuary being invaded by the real world.

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

“Free” speech, toots. Man…I can’t wait until God sends that well-deserved 10.1 with the epicenter right at Berzerkely

• Pietro Gambadilegno

You’ve made another comment that insults your own intelligence.

Why don’t you try saying something that is worth saying?

• Ken Bingham

Put these pigs in prison for the rest of their lives. They are swine and subhuman vermin. Communists and anarchists are terrorists.

• Matthew Newgarden

The Free Speech Movement leaders at Berkeley in 1964 backed a totalitarian ideology and once they got in power at the universities they imposed censorship on everybody else.

• baybutter123

A bit of an oversimplification, but hard to argue with.

Then again, if this new “free speech” movement on the right had it’s way they would do the same. Instead of censoring ambiguously defined “hate speech”, it would be ambiguously defined “unpatriotic speech”. We had a taste of this post-9/11 with the whole “You’re either with us or against us” narrative.

• Russell Dummerth

You are absolutely wrong about that. Noone in the free speech movement has ever, or would ever support or advocate for censoring or shutting down opposing views. They might criticize it but never shut it down.

• baybutter123

Only because they lack the cultural hegemony to do so. Things change when you have power on your side.

• Pietro Gambadilegno

So you are agreeing that no one in the free speech movement ever supported censoring or shutting down opposing views.

But you are claiming to be clairvoyant and to know that they would shut down opposing views if they could.

It may shock you to hear that there are many places where those with power (or “cultural hegemony”) do allow free speech.

• baybutter123

Can you read the Breitbart comment section and tell me in good conscience that these are earnest advocates of free speech? I don’t contend that we have a free speech problem – we do. I’m suggesting that “free speech” is quickly becoming a disingenuous sword-and-shield for the right in the way that “social justice” has for the left.

• zzz

“I’m suggesting that “free speech” is quickly becoming a disingenuous
            sword-and-shield for the right in the way that “social justice” has for
            the left.’

I think there is a tipping point around beliefs systems, get enough progressives together and they will start attacking non agreement with their buzzwords just as the right have in the past.

I don’t think the post 9/11 Americanism is any where near as bad as the post WW1 anti-communist or the 50’s and 60’s anti communism. In the Bay Area the lefts authoritarianism has reached a tipping point so they feel entitled to act like HUAC members circa 1952.

I think free speech on the right is actually a call for free speech, the far right now are being hectored the same way the far left was when they called for free speech. The free speech thing on the right seems to me to be around college campuses where open debate is now a joke, as a minority ideological group they now can advocate for free speech from a position of the minority, as the left used to do.

• baybutter123

Yes, in the academy it is an earnest fight for free speech. At nonsense events like this, no.

All of this started with academia’s embrace of post-modernism and cultural marxism. It started in the academy and it has to end in the academy. This is a war of ideas.

A stolen mash-up from Slate Star Codex (http://slatestarcodex.com/) that BCR would do well to heed if they happen to be reading:

“I think of respect for free speech as a commons. Every time some group invokes free speech to say something controversial, they’re drawing from the commons – which is fine, that’s what the commons is there for. Presumably the commons self-replenishes at some slow rate as people learn philosophy or get into situations where free speech protects them and their allies.

But if you draw from the commons too quickly, then the commons disappears. When trolls say the most outrageous things possible, then retreat to “oh, but free speech”, they’re burning the commons for no reason, to the detriment of everybody else who needs it.

If principles are stronger than partisanship, then invoking principles is a great idea to rally people to your cause. If partisanship has grown stronger than principles, then even an incontrovertible proof that a certain principle supports your own tribe is going to turn out to be a gigantic booby prize. It won’t make the other side reconsider what errors have led them to contradict such hallowed ideals. It’s just going make half the population start hating the sacred principles necessary for society to function.

Attempts to “promote free speech” and “raise awareness of free speech” are basically about test cases – done to promote the principle, rather than to use the principle. And if you’re going to do that, you had better do it well.”

• zzz

Link no work.

When I think of post modernists running debate I think of the

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_affair

The Berkeley Republicans are being needlessly annoying I agree, it would be interesting to see what would happen of they could get David Starkey or Douglas Murray. Coulter is just a ridiculous clown, I still think the protesters need to deal with her if she comes.

When I’m working at home I will put one of these on and let it run

https://www.youtube.com/user/UCLACommStudies/search?query=rockwell

After a few hrs George Lincoln Rockwell or William Schockley will come on.

I find it weird that kooks like that could show up then, but Milo Ysomething can’t.

• Tizzie Lish

no one stopped the pro-Trumpers from having their speakers speak, put up a platform, use sound amplication and present their speakers. There wasn’t even a token attempt to have their alleged speakers speak. The lefties came to object to the content of the announced speakers — lefties have free speech too so they can show up to object and disagree with the right wing speakers. No one stopped the right wing from putting on their speaker show and yet they made NO effort to hold speakers. They came hoping to fight.

• lspanker

no one stopped the pro-Trumpers from having their speakers speak, put up a platform, use sound amplication and present their speakers.

What happened when Milo tried that?

The lefties came to object to the content of the announced speakers

When was the last time anyone from the Black Bloc came to get up on a soapbox and articulate a clue? They came to fight and break things like they always do.

• Terrence Jeffrey Johnson

Go somewhere, Trigglypuff…

• lspanker

Things change when you have power on your side.

That’s probably why people were willing to elect Trump. He’s far from perfect. but Hillary gave us plenty of clues where she was heading…

• baybutter123

Of course. My point is that while the optics may be better for the underdog right, they are just as tribal. Not a justification for anything, just a caution. The end goal should be for truth and reason to prevail, not political vengeance.

• Russell Dummerth

And that with us or against us narrative was aimed at other countries around the world in our fight against terrorism. There were plenty of people openly condeming Bush and his policies. And noone was trying to take away their right to speak.

• baybutter123

With all the screaming about patriotism and “supporting the troops” in response to any criticism of American war efforts, you can be sure that they would gladly silence people for “treason” if they were able to. Blood and soil types inevitably move in that direction if they gather enough momentum. Rabid tribalism is a bipartisan feature.

• Pietro Gambadilegno

Cheap cynicism. No evidence.

• lspanker

With all the screaming about patriotism and “supporting the troops” in response to any criticism of American war efforts, you can be sure that they would gladly silence people for “treason” if they were able to.

But they didn’t, so that sorta takes the wind out of your sails a bit, doesn’t it?

• baybutter123

Didn’t because they couldn’t due to insufficient cultural/media clout.