Civil rights activist Sylvia Mendez speaks in Berkeley on integration

sylviamendez-copy

Civil rights activist Sylvia Mendez gave four speeches in Berkeley to honor the 70-year anniversary of her family’s historic 1947 Mendez v. Westminster court case Thursday.

Mendez, who was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2011, spoke at Thousand Oaks Library, Longfellow Middle School and the UC Berkeley Center for Latino Policy Research about her role in integrating schools in California and her work for the Latinx community in public education today. Mendez v. Westminster desegregated public schools in Orange County. Soon after, former California governor Earl Warren signed a bill desegregating schools in California, making it the first state to integrate schools.

For the past 22 years, Mendez has been going to schools across the country to speak to students and teachers about her journey. She said she has found that today, schools are more segregated than ever.

“If parents can’t move out of ghettos and barrios, (their children) can’t go to the white, ‘good’ schools,” Mendez said during the event.

Mendez said she is fighting to make sure Latinx and low-income students at de facto segregated schools get the same education and resources as students from schools in wealthier communities.

The Mendez family lived in a Mexican neighborhood in Santa Ana then moved to an Anglo neighborhood in Westminster to tend a farm they rented from the Munemitsus, a Japanese-American family who had been sent to an internment camp.

There were only two schools in Westminster at the time: 17th Street Elementary, an all-white school, and Hoover Elementary, the Mexican school.

Gonzalo Mendez, Sylvia Mendez’s father, asked his sister to enroll his three children at 17th Street Elementary. When his sister went to the school, the children were denied enrollment because of their Mexican heritage.

Mendez said the Hoover Elementary had broken electricity and no playground. The school was next to a farm that kept an electrical fence to divide the children from the crops.

“We weren’t being taught to be smart. We were being taught how to be maids and how to crochet and how to quilt,” Mendez said during her speech.

Gonzalo Mendez went to the school board, and they told him there was nothing they could do, so Mendez took the case to court. The school district appealed, and Mendez won the case with California in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, which led to the desegregation of public schools in California. The United States federally desegregated schools seven years later after the U.S. Supreme Court’s Brown v. Board of Education decision.

Mendez said she was a nurse for 33 years but when her mother, Felicitas Mendez, became ill, she had to quit to take care of her. While Mendez took care of her, her mother encouraged her to tell the story of her case and the struggles of the Latinx community.

“I told my mother I can’t do that, I’m a nurse, and she told me ‘Sylvia, someone has to do it,’ ” Mendez said during her speech.

Mendez sent letters to all the schools in Orange County to get their permission to tell her story. Mendez introduced a bill to get her court case taught in California public schools. The bill was initially vetoed by Arnold Schwarzenegger but was reintroduced and passed, making the case a part of state curriculum last year.

In 1997, Mendez Intermediate School in Santa Ana was made in honor of Mendez’s case and Felicitas and Gonzalo Mendez High School in Los Angeles was made in her parents’ honor in 2009.

What I tell my students is that they must persevere, and my mother always told me we are children of god and we deserve to be treated equally,” Mendez said during her speech. “Yes, we still have racism and prejudice, but we must persevere.”

Contact Jessíca Jiménez at [email protected] and and follow her on Twitter at @jesscajimenez_dc.

• James Clemons

Why are the schools in the “white” “privileged” areas better? Is it only because they get better resources? To yell racism is pointless and accomplishes nothing. I am half mexican but look white so what am I. Can we stop concentrating so much on race and maybe take a real look at why these schools in these areas are truly failing. If you really believe its systematic racism and prejudice, I would like to see an example? Where is the systemic racism? Give a real example?!? It seems to have a lot more to do with parents and cities ideology. How can we get poor parents to care about their children’s education?

• lspanker

You bring up a subject that is a source of frustration to many of us. Despite the self-congratulatory view of themselves being “educated”,”tolerant” and “enlightened”, Berkeley progressives have an inherent dogmatism that rivals the 15th Century Catholic Church in its complete intolerance of anyone questioning the dual bogeymen of “institutionalized racism” or “lack of funding” as being responsible for the ongoing failure of our K-12 public schools to educate our young people. They are extremely hesitant to let these excuses go as it would force actual accountability on teachers and administrators, something many of them clearly do not want.

• James Clemons

And it would actually force accountability on the minority parents who can’t be touched in the progressive politically correct social hierarchy progressives have created. I mean its so strange, rappers can have horrible things to say about women in their songs, (I love rap by the way, lol) completely demeaning to all women, yet since blacks outrank women, they get away with it. Accountability will never happen for those Berkeley progressives and the far right. It’s just two groups way to far out of reality.