BPD releases names of 20 individuals arrested in connection with crimes at Free Speech Rally

march_juliankilchling_staff-copy
Julian Kilchling/File

Berkeley Police Department issued a Nixle alert Monday with a list of 20 individuals who were arrested in connection with violence that erupted at the Free Speech Rally on Saturday at the Martin Luther King Jr. Civic Center Park.

Charges include assault with a deadly weapon, battery and committing a criminal offense while wearing a mask, according to the alert. Police will continue to review video footage to identify individuals involved in criminal activities Saturday. BPD is also soliciting photos and videos from the public, which can be uploaded using any web-enabled device.

Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguín issued a statement Monday regarding Saturday’s demonstration.

“Berkeley values are rooted in the ideas of free speech and peaceful protest. Unfortunately outside groups chose Berkeley as the location for a confrontation with intentions to create violence,” Arreguín said in his statement. “We are committed to bringing perpetrators of violence to justice and protecting the right for peaceful assembly. … The safety of our residents and our businesses will continue to be our top priority.”

Below is the list of 20 individuals and the charges they are facing, as reported by BPD:

• Kyle Chapman, 41, of San Francisco, for a warrant for alleged battery from the March 4 demonstration at the Martin Luther King Jr. Civic Center Park
  • John Cookenboo, 27, of Albany, for allegedly inciting a riot, for alleged possession of switchblade knife and for allegedly wearing a mask while committing a criminal offense
  • Jonathan Dalili, 32, of Berkeley, for alleged battery
  • Allyn Jensen, 30, of San Francisco, for alleged vandalism and for allegedly wearing a mask while committing a criminal offense
  • Genevieve Jones, 27, of Berkeley, for alleged battery and violation of a Berkeley municipal code
  • Dennis Luke, 36, of Huntington Beach, for alleged assault with a deadly weapon
  • Sean O’Brien, 35, of Oakland, for alleged violation of a Berkeley municipal code
  • Robert Peete, 51, of Berkeley, for alleged assault with a deadly weapon
  • Addae Reciado, 19, of Richmond, for allegedly resisting and obstructing a police officer
  • Lee Robinson, 68, of Berkeley, for alleged public intoxication
  • Levi Romero, 23, of Palmdale, for alleged battery and violation of a Berkeley municipal code
  • Robert Rundo, 26, of San Clemente, for alleged battery on a police officer and for allegedly resisting and obstructing a police officer
  • Nicholas Ryan, 24, of San Mateo, for alleged battery and violation of a Berkeley municipal code
  • Rachel Schwarz, 33, of Oakland, for alleged violation of a Berkeley municipal code and for allegedly resisting and obstructing a police officer
  • Robert Scott, 39, of Oakland, for alleged battery and violation of a Berkeley municipal code
  • Christopher Smith, 37, of Martinez, for alleged battery
  • Unidentified female juvenile, 17, for alleged battery
  • Moira Vandewalker, 21, of Albany, for alleged violation of a Berkeley municipal code and for allegedly wearing a mask while committing a criminal offense
  • Enrique Yarce, 22, of Santa Rosa, for alleged battery and violation of a Berkeley municipal code, for allegedly wearing a mask while committing a criminal offense and for allegedly resisting arrest
  • Vincent Yochelson, 23, of Oakland, for alleged violation of a Berkeley municipal code and for allegedly wearing a mask while committing a criminal offense

Harini Shyamsundar is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @hshyamsundar.

• JimRossi

Mayor Arreguin lives in a BS fantasyland, just like UC Berkeley administrators, that’s enabling extremists of all kinds. Berkeley = international laughingstock.

• roccolore

Were they all leftists?

• code 6

They should revoke the POST certificates of every copper at that riot who sat back and watched.

• steve from berkeley

Top of the list, Kyle Chapman = alt-right meme-hero “Based Stickman.” Glad to see him go down.

• roccolore

Yet you’re okay with fascist liberals who riot and loot.

• Rob Kester

Berkeley has already scrambled his brains

• Wabbit

And who does not appear? Neo-nazi organizer Nathan Damigo, caught on camera assaulting a woman: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/04/16/viral-video-shows-white-supremacist-sucker-punch-berkeley-anti-trump-protester/

Shame on you BPD.

• Mfer

I’m not defending hitting women. However, she put herself in the middle of a brawl. She wasn’t an innocent victim in all of this.

• Rob Kester
      • Shirkhan

RIGHT. She was walking in a street where an innocent neo Nazi was hanging out, then threw herself into his punch! She assaulted him!! She is to blame! He is the victim!

• lspanker

No, she had a mask on and jumped into a brawl. Do you really think anyone’s going to buy the BS that she was some innocent victim? Both of them are equally guilty as far as I’m concerned.

• lspanker

NOTE: I had heard stories from others that she was throwing bottle but those were hearsay. Given that there’s now photographic evidence of it, I would say that her behavior is far more dangerous and criminal than someone who was merely engaged in mutual combat.

• Rob Kester

She was down with antifa throwing M80s too https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QcZ0WPO1ZG0

• Rob Kester
    • zzz

You are opposed to equal rights.

• Rob Kester
      • Shirkhan

Where do you see her assaulting anybody with a bottle in the photo?

• lspanker

The third pic in that system clearly show a cylindrical object in flight, which would be consistent with a bottle flying base first when thrown with an overhand motion. Others reported her throwing bottles as well, and given that she chose to put on a mask and join the fray she’s clearly no innocent bystander.

• Rob Kester
        • Rob Kester

She also defends people who were throwing M80s. Don’t white knight this one, she doesn’t deserve it. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QcZ0WPO1ZG0