Ann Coulter to speak on campus Thursday despite UCPD’s security concerns

ucpd_joshua_jordan_file
Joshua Jordan/File

Following a series of disagreements with campus administration over possible speaking event dates and venues, conservative author Ann Coulter has confirmed that she will speak on campus Thursday regardless of security concerns raised by UCPD, according to Pranav Jandhyala, founder and co-president of BridgeUSA.

Coulter was invited by Berkeley College Republicans, or BCR, and BridgeUSA to speak on campus Thursday, April 27 on the topic of illegal immigration. After UCPD learned that certain groups responsible for inciting violence at Milo Yiannopoulos’s event in February were planning to make an appearance at Coulter’s event, however, campus administration announced that it was postponing Coulter’s speech to September.

On Thursday, the campus rescinded its previous decision to postpone Coulter’s speech and extended an invitation to the right-wing author to speak May 2. Coulter, however, raised concerns that the proposed date falls during RRR week, when instruction has ended. The campus is no longer planning to host the event May 2 after BCR threatened to file a lawsuit — and BCR did file a lawsuit Monday.

Campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof said Coulter’s concerns were confusing to the administration because she initially objected to giving her speech Thursday afternoon, when students would be in class.

Jandhyala said Coulter’s concerns were misinterpreted. Coulter’s main concern was that during RRR week, students are more likely to be studying for finals and therefore might be less inclined to listen to her speech, according to Jandhyala.

Jandhyala expressed concerns regarding the negative image that recent protests have shed upon the campus. He said it is important for people outside the campus community to recognize that the violence is not a reflection of the campus, but rather of unaffiliated groups hoping to stir up trouble.

“What I’m worried about is our campus community, and our community as a whole, looking like it’s something it’s not,” Jandhyala said.

A member of BCR could not be reached for comment.

According to Mogulof, the campus is coordinating with UCPD to do whatever is necessary to protect students and members of the community. UC San Francisco’s Office of the Chief confirmed that it has been called to assist UC Berkeley’s UCPD in securing the event Thursday.

“We will have an increased law enforcement presence on our campus to ensure the safety of our community,” said UCPD spokesperson Sgt. Sabrina Reich in an email.

According to Jandhyala, despite the possibility of UCPD security at the event, violence is nearly guaranteed to break out if Coulter gives her speech on Sproul Plaza.

“We’re definitely going to try to do everything that we can to turn a speech that might end up being violent into an event where dialogue between students can be created,” Jandhyala said.

Contact Amber Tang at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ambertang_dc.

• SMH

.

COULTER SAID THAT SHE WAS COMING “NO MATTER WHAT”!!…

BUT, LIKE A **WHORRRE**…, COULTER’S GOTTA GET **PAID** TO COME.

HA-HA-HA!!…

.

• C Bierbauer78

Ann Coulter bravely ran away after all her sponsors departed in a rush. How brave of the lady crusader for hatred in America!

Guess she couldn’t stand the heat in the kitchen, but her “supporters” were even bigger wimps. In fact they were YOUUUGGE Wimps!

• Leonidas

I have been reading some of the comments from you liberal beta-male snowflakes justifying violence against anyone who dares to support the idea and the concept of the right to free speech. All of you beta-male snowflakes are cowards.
    Conservatives will stand up for their First Amendment rights. You will not take our rights away from us.

You beta-male snowflakes cannot stop us from speaking out and we are not going away.
    All of you beta-male snowflakes are cowards!

• Drive-by-Comment

Most people go to Berkeley to get a good education, but these violent demonstrations (albeit, mostly not students), and labeling opinions that differ from yours as “hate speech” that cannot be tolerated are doing the University no favors.

To restore the the reputation of Berkeley the administration needs to vigorously support the concept that, “while I do not agree with what you say, I will defend your right to say it.”

Berkeley was the home of the college free speech movement. It would be unfortunate for all if it was also the place where it died.

• alwaysthink

Ann Coulter is staging political theater by bringing her domestic terrorist thugs to Sproul Plaza. Her Alt Right Thugs will come dressed in black and have a staged fight just like the crazy Wrestling shows. Ann will run and then claim she doesn’t have “free speech”.

Real residents of Berkeley, students and town folks, just stay away. Let the Police confine this violent demonstration in the Plaza. The real world knows this is as fake as a $2 bill.

• Tizzie Lish

This country used to routinely issue $2 bills. I have had some, spent them and wish I had saved them. The phrase is as fake as a $3 bill.

Coulter’s claim she is here for free speech is as phony as a $3 bill.

• C Bierbauer78

In the end her campus sponsors all realized the truth in your assessment and beat a hasty retreat to the door, followed belatedly by Mis Coulter herself (trampling the hindmost).

• FreedomFan

Yes comrade, it’s the “right-wing” who dress in black and cover their faces like violent thugs. Is that you, Robert Reich?

• C Bierbauer78

Ann ran after her supporters in the YAF and Berkeley Repugs ran for the doors and pulled their support. Ann is a craven coward but so are her former “supporters”!

• lovestohike

Jerry Brown and the corrupt UC adminisrators do not believe in freedom of speech.

its sad –

If they cannot have police that can enforce peace, then they are not doing their job.

• Leonidas

You are absolutely right…

• Tizzie Lish

“enforce” speech? Maybe that is an oxymoron. The police presence assures peace for all reasonable people. It is those who really come to fight that refuse peace. Once any citizens engage in violence, the police can not enforce a nonexistent peace; all they can do is try to stop violence, which is not, at all, enforcing peace — it requires meeting violence with a show of strength that is, with the antifa and rising white warrior crowd, not at all about enforcing peace. It is about stopping violence, violence the police did not start and cannot be blamed for.

• C Bierbauer78

Ah yes. A society in which “peace” comes from the barrel of a gun is truly a sick and failed social experiment (Like a Red State).

• Leonidas

Ann Coulter will be there on Thursday for her speech. Unfortunately it looks like there could very well be violence perpetrated by the fascists thugs in black storm trooper costumes & wearing face masks. They will make their presence known with their iron pipes, baseball bats, locks and mace. These are the tools of cowards.
    And these thugs are cowards.
    But cowards always run when confronted.

UC Berkeley & the UC Berkeley Police Department do not give a rip about the safety of conservatives at Berkeley.
    The police stood down and allowed people to be assaulted with locks and iron bars. And also they were maced. The police did nothing. People were being beaten in the street. The police allowed it to happen.

UC Berkeley was the birthplace of the “free speech movement” and now sadly it is where free-speech is under assault by facistic thugs.

• Mitchell Hedberg

A guy in a Trump hat spit in the face of my Muslim friend’s 5 year old niece when he thought she was alone for a minute. He was in eyesight of it. He was an Olympic wrestler and the nicest guy most people ever meet. That fat bast rd ran but couldn’t get away, he got his arm broken and lost some teeth after grabbing a rock to try and hit my friend with. That is how brave you Trump voters are!

• Drive-by-Comment

Not reflective of Trump voters and you know it. A bad apple.

• FreedomFan

I doubt it. But I hope the little girl doesn’t experience female genital mutation or “honor killing” like loving Muslim families often inflict on their little girls.

And if you say your Muslim friend would never commit such atrocities, I wonder if he has ever spoken out in outrage against it.

• vincent

Obviously when you have large groups of people there will be ample fodder for anecdotes of bad actors. As far as I know there is no credible person, group or institution on the right supporting, condoning or excusing spitting on Muslim children or any children for that matter. However you have numerous op-eds and prominent people on the left excusing and even condoning the use of violence as a legitimate tactic to “shut down” conservative or right wing speakers they don’t agree with.

• Leonidas

I doubt that happened…
        But the whole world knows that you
        beta-male snowflakes are adept at “storytelling”

• C Bierbauer78

Ann turned her tail and ran after her campus supporters bolted for the exits (ahead of her). Poor Ann was left with no one to back up her hate initiative and ran for the light at the end of the White Wing Whining Wacko tunnel!