Cal men’s basketball’s Charlie Moore transfers to Kansas

mhoops_dkim_file-copy
Daniel Kim/File

Freshman guard Charlie Moore will be transferring to Kansas, as reported by Scout.com. The former Cal standout guard originally announced his decision to transfer April 13.

While he announced his intent to transfer almost two weeks ago, he left his final destination vague, with his only hint being that it would be “closer to home.”

“I just thought it was the best decision for me,” Moore said to Scout. “It’s closer to home and it’s a winning program, and the coaches were good to me.”

This season, No. 1 seed Kansas made a deep run at the NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship earlier this year where it was defeated by Oregon. The Jayhawks defeated UC Davis, Michigan State and Purdue in their March Madness run.

Moore ultimately chose Kansas over much-speculated Illinois and will join Memphis transfers Dedric and K.J. Lawson as the newest members of the Jayhawks. All three will have to sit out the 2017-18 season because of NCAA transfer rules.

Moore averaged 12.2 points in 34 starts for the Bears and collected 120 assists. He amassed several freshman-class records, including fifth in three pointers, sixth in total points and seventh in free throws made.

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Kansas defeated Austin Peay, Connecticut and Maryland in its March Madness run and was eliminated by Villanova. In fact, Kansas defeated UC Davis, Michigan State and Purdue before losing to Oregon.

Contact Chris Tril at [email protected]