Cal Men’s Crew Defeats Centurylong Rival Washington

mcrew_michaelpaiva_courtesy-copy
Michael Paiva/Courtesy

As Tupac once said, “Trust me, I never lose.”

Last weekend, the Cal and Washington men’s crew teams, the top-two rowing teams in the country, were pitted against each other. Although centurylong rivals Washington and Cal both won two races each during the Montlake Cut, the Bears ultimately won the Schoch Cup, keeping the coveted trophy in their possession for a third straight year.

“We got a great rivalry, a great tradition, there was a huge crowd there. … It’s a lot of pressure, but our guys handled it really well,” said Cal head coach Mike Teti.

After taking Montlake Cut, the Bears headed to Tacoma and continued to dominate four races at American Lake against No. 20 Oregon State.

In the Montlake Cut, Washington took the win for the men’s 3rd Varsity 8 race, beating out Cal with a time of 5:46.40 versus 5:50.39 — a difference of just about four seconds. Cal’s freshman 8 beat out Washington with a time of 5:52.45 versus 5:57.59. The Huskies took another win in the 2nd Varsity 8 by the skin of their teeth — 5:40.58 versus the Bears’ 5:42.57.

In the race for the Cup, Cal’s Varsity 8 came out victorious in a similarly slim win. The team came in at 6:10.67 against Washington’s 6:12.59 and swooped the cup alongside the Cal Women’s Varsity 8, which also reigned victorious at Montlake Cut.

“I think it’s great to watch both varsities win — both the women and the men — and I think it was a great day for Cal,” Teti said.

With a fresh win to their names, the Bears headed to face Oregon State. They finished first in every event they competed in, including the Varsity 8 (5:40.82), 2nd Varsity 8 (5:49.96), 3rd Varsity 8(5:45.68) and Freshman 8 (5:49.79).

The Bears will compete next April 29 during the Big Row against Stanford— Cal’s last regular-season race — in Redwood Shores, where Teti is already looking forward to defending his Pac-12 title.

Ashley-Grace Vo covers men’s crew. Contact her at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @ashleygracevo