How to take a joke

slap_schreiber
Isabella Schreiber/File

A joke is supposed to make you turn your frown upside down. And even if it doesn’t, perhaps you don’t understand the joke, or maybe you’re just not in the laughing mood. Don’t forget that harmless jokes and satire are meant to be taken lightly.

We believe that some people don’t know how to take a joke because their saltiness levels are simply too high. As dedicated members of the Clog, our daily job is to make you laugh. If you follow the following directions to perfection, with no more than an eighth of a teaspoon of salt in your system, you’ll enjoy your day to the fullest. We guarantee it’ll be pretty sweet.

1. Begin by reading, or listening, to the joke in question with an open mind – remember to be on the brink of a smile.
  2. Once you finish learning the joke, give it some time to simmer and really marinate in your mind.
  3. As soon as you’ve understood the joke, let the laughter roll off your tongue.
  4. Some of you may not find the Berkeley goggles joke that funny, nor may you find the major stereotypes amusing, but remember – the writers or people telling the joke are more likely than not including themselves in these categories.
  5. If step four is applicable to you, you’ve probably done something wrong. Repeat steps one through three again with a more open mind and full desire to experience the joy that is laughter.

Once you’ve completed all of the steps above, you’re ready to laugh your heart out! Try going to Memorial Glade or your dorm and present a joke to passerby, now that you’re an expert. You’ve learned the ins and outs of appreciating jokes, and we couldn’t be happier!

Contact Avanti Mehrotra at [email protected].