Ann Coulter says she is no longer speaking at UC Berkeley

coulter_jasmanyflores_staff-copy
Jasmany Flores/Staff

Ann Coulter said she will no longer be speaking on campus April 27, calling it “a sad day for free speech.”

Coulter canceled her event because she lost the support of the Young America’s Foundation, or YAF, and campus student groups, the Berkeley College Republicans and BridgeUSA. At a press conference Wednesday afternoon on the Savio Steps, Coulter’s lawyer and members of BCR said they will go forward with their lawsuit against campus administrators, seeking an injunction to an alleged “high-profile speaker policy.”

YAF, a conservative group that was partially funding the event, pulled its involvement in the event Tuesday because of safety concerns. The group, however, will continue to pursue the lawsuit against the campus.

“The excuse used by UC Berkeley to suppress speech here in this case is one manufactured by the university’s inaction compounded by city of Berkeley’s police department’s inaction,” said Harmeet Dhillon, Coulter’s lawyer, at the press conference.

In March, BCR and BridgeUSA invited Coulter to address the campus community April 27. The campus postponed her event to September on April 19 but then extended an invitation for her to speak May 2 instead of April 27. Coulter refused to speak May 2 and had publicly stated she intended to speak on campus April 27.

“The BCR will continue to invite conservative speakers to this campus in an effort to secure the mantle of the home of the Free Speech Movement,” said BCR member Troy Worden at the press conference.

During the press conference, Reiko Redmonde, manager of Revolution Books on Durant Avenue, led a protest challenging BCR. Students participated by taking turns addressing spectators with a megaphone.

Hoku Jeffrey, a national organizer for By Any Means Necessary, or BAMN, said he considered Ann Coulter’s cancellation “a real victory.” In an address to the crowd gathered on Sproul Plaza, former ASUC presidential candidate Richard Alvarado added that racism and xenophobia should not be tolerated anywhere.

“They have been given media time and (have been covered by) news outlets,” Alvarado said of BCR in his speech. “(It’s) untrue that they’ve been somehow persecuted.”

The campus has not heard from Coulter directly, according to campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof. During a campus press conference Wednesday afternoon, UCPD Capt. Alex Yao announced that campus police will continue with planned security procedures in place for tomorrow.

During the press conference, Mogulof also denied the existence of a “high-profile speaker policy,” stating that every campus event is assessed on its own merit. Yao added that in the case of any event occurring on campus property, UCPD conducts an independent review and threat assessment.

“Based on intel, protesters are still going to come here,” Yao said at the press conference. “UCPD’s job is to safeguard everyone’s first amendment rights, right to assemble on campus (and) also security.”

Yao said at the press conference that UCPD will have a “very, very low tolerance for any sort of violence on campus” tomorrow. He also encouraged students to look to Nixle and WarnMe for security updates.

In an email sent to the Berkeley High School community, Berkeley High Principal Erin Schweng detailed a series of security measures that the high school will be taking tomorrow to ensure that its students remain safe during potential protests. These measures include the presence of extra safety staff, the closure of the Allston Way entrance of the high school after 9 a.m. and consistent contact with Berkeley Police Department, according to the email.

According to Mogulof, the campus has spent potentially more than tens of thousands of dollars on security for this event. Mogulof said at the press conference that should BCR approach campus with a desire to reschedule Coulter’s talk, campus administrators remain ready to collaborate with the organization.

In a campuswide email, UC Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks advised campus students and staff to avoid Sproul Plaza tomorrow if they do not wish to participate in any potential protests. Dirks encouraged students who do wish to participate, however, to protest safely. Access to Sproul Hall and the Martin Luther King Jr. Student Union will be restricted, according to Dirks’ email.

BridgeUSA at Berkeley began discussing pulling its support of the event Friday when Coulter announced that she would be speaking on Sproul Plaza the following week, according to BridgeUSA at Berkeley Co-president Manu Meel.

“It appeared at some point that when she was going to go on Sproul and make this speech, it was becoming more of a spectacle than anything else,” said BridgeUSA at Berkeley Co-president Pranav Jandhyala. “Her public appearance on Sproul would have had very legitimate safety and security concerns for our campus and turned our university into a battleground.”

Despite the cancellation of Coulter’s talk, multiple demonstrations have been planned for tomorrow, including a “Fight the Right!” rally at Bancroft Way and Telegraph Avenue and an alt-right rally at the Martin Luther King Jr. Civic Center Park.

Contact The Daily Californian News Staff at [email protected].

• Tall Texan

Look who got the last laugh?? Coulter and Milo coming back on free speech week. Ain’t life grand?

• Best

Looks like the Alt-right is now going to replace the Swastika with the ok sign. Funny how in the 30’s they hijacked the symbol of good luck and turned it into hate. Bravo Alt-right! You’ve just won the Orwellian/Joseph Goebbels Award for double speak. It wasn’t that long ago you shouted down and harassed BLM and all those who dare have an idea that is differing from yours. Next up, the push to purge all Freedoms from America first targeting the UC Berkeley Campus to ensure the White Supremacy Master Race is preserved.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

The erosion of free speech is what happens when you let the true fascist thugs, currently masquerading as anti-fascist, rule by threat and application of violence.
    How is this any different from the threat and application of violence by their predeccessors Mussolini’s Squadristi, Franco’s Falangist, NSDAP’s SturmAbeilung, and the NAZI SS ?

It isn’t

Maybe 50 years ago, there was a successful “Free Speech” movement at Berkeley but that has been killed and buried by the cowards in the administration and the BAMN and antifa thugs in the streets.

One only has to compare two images from different times.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6QPbmLVAAEglfp.jpg

• C Bierbauer78

“Coulter canceled her event because she lost the support of the Young America’s Foundation, or YAF, and campus student groups, the Berkeley College Republicans and BridgeUSA.”

Coulter alienated her own supporters, than backed out and ran away. Looks like she wouldn’t speak unless guaranteed a friendly audience and she had already lost support from the white wing wackos of Berkeley.

Whatta’coward!

• Anax of Rhodes

The only reason there were security concerns over Coulter’s is because of the threat of violence. The only reason there was a threat of violence is because of radical leftist organizations. They successfully held the university hostage over a mere difference of opinion, and backed off when the school system paid the “ransom:” cancelling Coulter’s event. The police department is not in charge of the safety of UC-Berkeley: these organizations are.

Now citizens will take matters into their own hands. They won’t rely on the police to enforce freedom of speech; they will enforce it themselves. Congrats. You have manifested your own anarchy. And if the event from two weeks ago was any indication, with free speech supporters running you out of the streets, you will not end up on top.

What a sad time for the same university that championed free speech decades ago, where challenging ideas fall away in favor of fists and sticks. Y’all are on the wrong side of history.

• Yasi Safinya

And you are absolutely right, my hope for peace and my desire to engage in a discussion with someone who views the world differently superseded my need to check my spelling and grammar. Apologies if not doing so added to your suffering or caused you to feel disrespected. I still love you.

• FreedomFan

gag

• Yasi Safinya

While it’s painful to see that you believe your best choice is to continue to be hurtful and critical and cruel…it further proves the need for peace. I am sorry for whomever it was that harmed you; you didn’t deserve it.

• Yasi Safinya

Agreed there is never a legitimate reason to beat someone up. If you are hearing me justify physical assualt, you misunderstood or you chose to misunderstand as a way to continue legitimizing hate speach…again, a huge contributor to the pertuation of this divide.

I am not a Berkeley grad nor was I raised in Berkeley. But I find it fascinating that you have chosen to react with violent (diminishing) language to mere written statments of mine with which you disagree but are inable to relfect on why the students of Berkeley are unwilling to bring into their space an ethos that perpetuates what they perceive to be harmful.

Tell the “speach is not violence” rhetoric to the youth in our schools who are verbally humiliated and harassed by bullies, to people of color who are called vile words just because they exist, to the children who grow up in homes where there is domestic violence and all they heard where the words, to the immigrant communities who are seeking asylum and words telling them they their suffering is meanless, to the women who are told every day that they are undeserving of having the right to make choices. These are words causing harm. Gandhi had a daily practice of reflecting and owning the harm he inflicted on anyone–a man of peace owned his impact. And victim blaming versus taking responsibility, putting the blame of being “too sensitive” or “too reactive” on the person who feels belittled or harassed or ashamed is the behavior of a person to does harm. Take responsibility, perhaps then we can begin to find peace among one another.

I know that others may have reactions to my words. Again, this is ALL about reaction to our life experiences that inform and influence our behaviors. Believe me when I say…I love you all.

• FreedomFan

My apologies. I assumed you were educated at Berkeley based upon your lack of communication skill.

I never claimed that there is never a reason for violence, only that someone’s speech (note spelling) is not one of them.

I also note that, while you agreed that speech is not violence, you then called my speech “violent”.

(Not to be pedantic, but you might consider losing the goofy, stilted language, riddled with grammatical and spelling errors. It makes you look foolish.)

• Yasi Safinya

I hear your response, and it’s not atypical of what people often say…people who harm often are not reflective of the multiplicity of ways they engage in this act. Violence is not limited to a physical assualt. Taking responsibility of the many ways we harm one another requires self reflection and more expansive ways owning our impact in one another.

And being an attendee at a prestigious institution that may provide opportinities (and I emphasize may) does not absolve any violence people have experienced in their lives.

• FreedomFan

Speech is not “violence”, comrade. The fact that you are offended by what someone else says, doesn’t give you the right to beat them up.

Also the fact that this garbage is what you are taught at Berzerkeley means that it is no longer a “prestigious institution”. Attending such colleges now makes students even dumber. Turn on the news; UCB is now a national laughingstock.

• MrEFQ

“Violence is not limited to a physical assualt.”

I don’t know where you learned what violence is.

The definition of of violence is physical force intended to hurt or kill.

• C Bierbauer78

Ding Dong the Witch is fled
    Which old witch? The Wicked Witch
    Ding Dong the Wicked Witch is Fled…

You all know the song, sing it with me!

• FreedomFan

Democrats are misogynists. Isn’t it obvious by now?

• SMH

.

White supremacist sucker-punched woman at Trump protest:

.

• SMH

.

SEE: “White supremacist sucker-punched woman at Trump protest”:

.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

What ?
      You’re babbling about hillary again ?

• FreedomFan

University of California President Janet Napolitano Hid $175,000,000 while demanding tuition increases from students. The school system in California is corrupt. Why doesn’t DailyCal bother to write about this? Why are they helping to hide the fetid corruption from the students?

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/447078/janet-napolitano-audit-university-california-president-hid-175-million

• BunnyRabbit

Trumpflakes need to get their noses bust if the come to Berkeley to cause trouble.

• FreedomFan

Good luck, comrade. Be sure to cover your face like your KKK buddies.

• MrEFQ

You sound like a violent person. I suggest you get some therapy for that before you end up in jail.

• FreedomFan

I have a feeling that today, Berkeley thugs will have a few speakers they don’t like regardless…

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/04/26/uc-berkeley-gears-up-for-violent-protests-over-coulter-speech-cancellation/

• Stan Morgan

Unmask – Photograph.

The next time you must physically engage one of these Leftist thugs – probably right after one has assaulted you – your only focus should be is to rip the mask off so they will be captured on video or photographed. Some of these Thugs have jobs and their employers are not going to be appreciative of their extra curricular activities.

Being unmasked is what truly scares them.

Ask Eric Clanton.

Further once identified press charges if given the opportunity and follow through.

Consult a lawyer as to whether there is possible further legal action.

Unmask – Photograph!!!

Unmask – Photograph!!!

Unmask – Photograph!!!

Unmask – Photograph – Identify!!!

• SMH

.

**OOOO**!!… YOU’VE REALLY **SCARED** US **NOW** STAN MORGAN

— ***THREE*** TIME ***LLLOOOZZZERRRS***:

NO *MILO*!!

NO *HOROWITZ*!!

NO *COULTER*!!

***HA-HA-HA*** …!!!

.

• roccolore

The fascist left had no problem when Mahmoud Ahmadinejad spoke at Columbia.

• SMH

.
      **SSO**!!?…

(Ha-ha-ha…)
      .

• roccolore

Just proves how hypocritical you fascist Democrats are.

• SMH

.
          *DOUBLE* **SSO**!!?…

(Ha-ha-ha…)
          .

• roccolore

You fascist Democrats think you’re funny when you show your support for the Muslims who hang gays. Of course, you’re black and ignorant.

• SMH

.
            *TRIPLE* **SSO**!!?…

(Ha-ha-ha…)
            .

• roccolore

Racist blacks like you are the losers and cowards.

• SMH

.

BERKELEY IS CERTAINLY NOT PERFECT.

THERE IS SOME WHITE LIBERAL RACISM — & SOME WHITE LIBERAL RACIAL HYPOCRISY — HERE — THAT *ALSO* NEEDS TO BE EXPOSED.

**BUT**…, MOST PEOPLE HERE AT LEAST *TALK* ABOUT BRINGING SOCIO-CULTURALLY DIVERSE PEOPLE INTO MUTUAL RESPECT — AND RECOGNIZING SUCH HUMAN DIVERSITY’S **HUMANITY**!

WHEREAS ALL WHITE-SUPREMACIST NATIONALISTS — & THEIR BCR SOUTH ASIAN **WHITE-WANNABE’S** — & THEIR HATE SPEAKERS — TALK ABOUT IS **DIVIDING** PEOPLE — & “MAKING AMERICA *WHITE* AGAIN” (…ALTHOUGH IT’S *WAYYYY* TO LATE FOR *THAT* ANYMORE).

YOU WHITE-SUPREMACISTS NATIONALISTS *PURPOSELY* PICKED A *DIVERSE* CAMPUS & COMMUNITY TO COME SPEW YOUR RACIAL HATE IN.

GO *AWAY*, WHITE-SUPREMACISTS…: WE HAVE NO USE FOR YOU — & YOU WILL ACCOMPLISH _ABSOLUTELY **NONE**_ OF YOUR GOALS HERE, …EXCEPT FOR A FEW CYNICAL PHOTO OPS.

WE HAVE *ENOUGH* WHITE-SUPREMACISTS — (OF *ALL* COLORS) IN BAY AREA POLICE DEPTS — & IN SOME WHITE JUDGESHIPS — LIKE HAYWARD’s _** ‘JIM CROW’ CRACKA JUDGE SCOTT PATTON**_ — & WHITE PROSECUTORS — […WHO DON’T *PARTICULARLY* CARE IF BLACK/BROWN PEOPLE ARE GUILTY *OR* INNOCENT…] — LIKE OAKLAND’s _**PROSECUTOR BROOKE PERKINS**_ — & WE DON’T LIKE THEM EITHER!

.

• SMH

.

BTW EVERYONE PROGRESSIVE…:

ISN’T IT JUST **WONDERFUL** THAT A FEDERAL JUDGE IN **SAN FRANCISCO** JUDICIALLY GAVE TRUMP _THE *FINGER*_ TODAY…

:-)

.

• Yasi Safinya

What’s happening at UBC is a reaction, not a holistic act. It’s a reaction to feeling silenced by the current administration, to feeling powerless from stopping the wall, the ban, the dismantling of environmental protections, the attack on women’s right’s, the lies, the deceit, the oligarchy. To separate what is happening at UCB from the hatred and destruction and divisiveness oozing out of Washington is shortsighted. While this reaction stifles an opportunity to learn more about “the other side,” seeing this reaction as though it is an isolated incident unrelated to the the hopelessness many in communities (like those on the UCB campus) are experiencing is short-sighted and inelegant. When someone harms someone, it’s that person’s responsibility to take responsibility. It is not the responsibility of the individual who was harmed to “make it right.” When the presence of a person or community and their ethos stir up reactions in another community, memories of having been harmed, stricken, mutilated, paralyzed, then are we saying it is the victims responsibility to “take the high road?”

Is criticizing this act getting us any closer to one another? Are we learning to understand one another? Are we opening our hearts and minds in an effort to expand our empathy and become more elevated as humans?

And if not, and you are glad for that, then the protesters were right…you are fueling the wedge between us, you are the perpetrator, you are violent!

• vincent

If you are attending UCB and are legally present in this country, you are not a hopeless and marginalized person. You are a student at one of the most prestigious public universities in the world and will have significantly better career and social prospects than the average American upon graduating. Words are not violence. Advocating for policies you strongly disagree with is not violence. Violence is violence.

• FreedomFan

Blah blah blah. Why do Democrats at UCB hate women and gay speakers so much that they burn down things and beat up people?

• Mercyneal

Berkeley is an embarrassment and a disgrace

• SMH

.

AIN’T IT **WONDERFUL**…?

HOME SWEET HOME…

HA-HA-HA!!

ALL YOU WHITE-SUPREMACIST-NATIONALISTS…GO LICK YOUR WOUNDS…

.

• SMH

.

COULTER WAS GONNA DIRECTLY GET _**$20,000**_ FROM THOSE COLLEGE REPUGlicans FOR A ONE-HOUR SPEECH TALKIN’ *SMACK*!!

IT’S NOT LIKE SHE’S GIVING HER MATHEMATICAL DISCOVERY SOLUTION OF THE UNIFIED FIELD THEORY — OR GIVING HER DISCOVERY VERIFICATION OF THE PROOF OF *STRING* THEORY.

YO **COLLEGE REPUGlicans**!!… **I’LL** GIVE COULTER’S SPEECH — IF YOU GIVE *ME* **$20,000* FOR ONE HOUR’S WORK!!

I’LL EVEN SHAVE MY LEGS…, GIVE IT IN A TIGHT RED MINI-DRESS…, RED HIGH-HEELS…, BRIGHT RED LIPSTICK…, AND A LONG BLONDE WIG!!

I’LL BE JUST AS BOMBASTIC, NASALLY, & VERBALLY OUTRAGEOUS TOO!!

I’LL EVEN RECITE COULTER’S CLAIM THAT THE FUKUSHIMA NUCLEAR RADIATION CATASTROPHE ACTUALLY *INNOCUATED* PEOPLE AGAINST *CANCER*!!

GIVE ME A *CHANCE*!! …I’LL MAKE COULTER SOUND LIKE A GODDAMN **COMMIE** COMPARED TO MY SPEECH!

HEY, I **AGREE**…: IT’S ALL THOSE NEEGROES…, & MEXICANS…, & AYE-RABS…, & MOZLEMS…, & FEMI-NAZI HARPIES (LIKE THE ONES ACCUSING BILL O’REILLY)…, WHO’VE BEEN CAUSING THE DOWNFALL OF GOOD WHITE-AMERICA!!

LET’S _”MAKE AMERICA **WHITE** AGAIN”_ …!!

I’M EVEN *BETTER* ‘CAUSE I’M *BLACK* AND I’LL SAY IT.

[C’MON BROTHAS & SISTAS…!! — IT’S MUHFUKIN **$20,000**!! — JUST FOR TALKIN’ *SMACK* FOR ONE HOUR!! …YO I GOTS TA FIX MAH *CREDIT*!!]

YO REPUGlicans!!… DO I GET THE **$20,000** ONE-HOUR GIG???…

.

• SMH

.

NOW COULTER HAS TURNED AGAINST SOME OF THE COLLEGE REPUGlicans!!

–AFTER COULTER **CUT-&-RAN**!!…

HA-HA-HA…!!

.

• s randall

She probably pulled out because the UCPD couldn’t rent the Popemobile for her.

http://www.freewoodpost.com/2013/02/28/popemobile-listed-for-sale-on-vatican-craigslist/

• Hugo Estrada

An thus the publicity stunt came to a close.

• SMH

.

AND THE TOWNSPEOPLE REJOICED!!

–AND WERE ABLE, CAMPUS AND TOWN, TO GET BACK TO THEIR NORMAL BUSINESS.

–AND THE OUTSIDE WHITE RIGHT-WING **NNUTTJOBS** SLUNK BACK OUTTA TOWN…,

…TO GO SSSLITHERED BACK *UNDER* THE SLIMEY ROCKS FROM ELSEWHERE THAT THEY SSSLITHERED FROM UNDER TO GET HERE.

.

• Anne is white and berkeley is afro brown , jew yellow and south Asian red and so there you go.

anne is white and Berkeley ise

• Stan Morgan

There is not a democrat alive who would survive a debate with Ann Coulter.

Coulter won this round too but the cry bullies at Berkeley are too stupid to see it.

You morons just wrote her next book.

• CSears

Yawn.

• Anne this is all DNA. Brown are not intelligent by Science standards and so USA is long gone. no solution. They used violence from 1960s to current. Most illegals are murderers and get out of jail like 10 times and the media are all brown pro Mexican, pro Iran, Pro Syria and thus liars. $35 trillion is the price tag of illegal usa since 1965ad

• mogden

Congratulations, you have shown that Ann Coulter is more of a liberal than you are.

• SMH

.

COLLEGE REPUGlicans…: * * * THREE TIME LLLOOOZERRRS * * * ! ! !

HA-HA-HA … !!

.

• brown apes are most violent beside afro dark apes.

• the tolerant left strikes again

• Dave Swenson

The left are a disease in this country. Proven today at Berkley.

• SMH

.

AWWW… **BBOOO**-**HHOOO** to the white-supremacist nationalists…

.

• lodule16

There are, literally, thousands of school-aged children in this town who are able to spell the word “Berkeley”.

• FreedomFan

The appropriate spelling is “Berzerkeley”, comrade.

• Phineas Bogg

Shameful of UC Berkeley… The steps in Sproul Plaza are named after Mario Savio for his Free Speech protests in 1964, but now UC Berkeley’s current student body has morphed into weak, entitled, snowflakes.

Current student body are the children of the liberals… this is what has become of their offspring.

• Merle Kessler

Will nobody think of poor Mario Savio?

• SMH

.

YO MARIO!!… *HIGH-FIIIVVVES*!!…

DINGGG-DONGGG… THE WITCH IS GONE!!…

.

• CSears

If the current student body are the children of liberals then liberal parents must sure get their children to work hard in order to get into UC Berkeley. I suppose that conservative parents might want to up their game.

• Anax of Rhodes

These kids surely aren’t in the Engineering department(s) at Berkeley. Every big state university has a program or two that’s respectable and challenging. But I imagine those students are too busy working on projects and homework to spend time protesting speakers they don’t like.

• CSears

I did EECS as Cal and I can’t remember a single conservative. Maybe they weren’t memorable.

• Anax of Rhodes

Most engineering and science students and professionals I’ve met keep their politics to themselves. Most that eventually open up tend to lean libertarian (not necessarily conservative, just “live-and-let-live;” a practical libertarianism). They want to get their jobs done, quietly go home, and enjoy beers over their weekends. I believe it’s the rigorous nature of the work, at school and at the workplace, that keeps minds focused on tasks at hand, away from navel-gazing and political pontificating.

Yet here we are, lol, doing precisely that. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• CSears

You’ll find that Silicon Valley voted solidly for Clinton. I do know a few ‘libertarians’, Republicans really, in the Valley. But only a few. I’ve never seen a single Trump bumper sticker in the Bay Area.

• SMH

.

*DON’T LIKE* IT HERE, *DON’T COME* HERE.

.

• Phineas Bogg

I’m just there to get my knowledge & my degree with UC Berkeley’s stamp, then I’m out.

• SMH

.
          GO FOR THE **ACCELERATED** PROGRAM.
          .

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable
  • sffoghorn

The libertarian snowflake wanted a government subsidized safe space?

• and the tolerant left wanted to kill those they disagree with

• sffoghorn

Coulter just wanted her participation trophy.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

Stupid non sequitur that in no way changes the fact that contrary to your claim of:
          ” Open the political system and all of this goes away
          Freeze people out of the political system and they will express themselves otherwise..”

You are advocating freezing people out by silencing them.

• sffoghorn

The public square is not the political system, but thanks for playing!

• Boulder Commonsense

There is no libertarian involved, the YAF is a conservative group, Ann Coulter is a conservative, and obviously the BCR are republicans not libertarians. In addition, most libertarians agree that while government is charged with attempting to keep the peace and enforce laws and protect rights, it should do a good job of it. Berkeley is a government university, and of course exists within other government jurisdictions that could be of help if the campus says it is too incompetent to handle the task. The main government expenditure is on behalf of protestors who are expected to be unable to act like civilized adults and whose violent impulses need to be dealt with. The “subsidy” is to cover the cost the protestors wish to incur, not the speaker, blame them for the cost.

When an out of town speaker isn’t available on another date, attempting to reschedule it is a de facto attempt to cancel the event. People who may have built their schedule around that date to attend the date may not be able to make the rescheduled date, so its a deprivation of the 1st amendment rights of some listeners.

The protestors who threatened violence on April 27th were likely to merely reschedule for May 2nd. They should be able to make any venue “secure” for a speaker. Its questionable whether they can make any remotely credible claim they can make it noticeably more secure on May 2nd, perhaps merely that it is more convenient for them to do so. They could have asked for help from other government law enforcement if they aren’t competent to handle the issue. The Supreme Court doesn’t allow speech to be infringed merely to be more convenient for the government. If Berkeley staff are saying they are too incompetent to keep the peace there and allow freedom of speech, then those staff members need to be replaced.

• sffoghorn

Berkeley should let her speak because it is bound to by the constitution and the community should veto that because the first amendment does not apply to individuals.

The supreme irony of libertarians who want to eliminate all government except that which protects their property running to the welfare state to provide a safe space for their snowflake is too rich, too rich.

• Boulder Commonsense

The idea that civilized society in general should be a space we attempt to keep safe from violence fortunately is acknowledged by most rational adults across the political spectrum (as opposed to the modern campus “safe space” which is about limiting speech). Those who exhibit a childish inability to control their impulse for violence in response to peaceful speech they disagree with are those who are causing the government to incur an expense to deal with them.

Protecting freedom of speech that is an actual in person speech isn’t protecting property rights (except perhaps your body as your property). It isn’t the “welfare state” responsible for protecting basic rights like freedom of speech and keeping the peace, those are basic minimums of law enforcement. Those who advocate minimum government overwhelmingly agree basic law enforcement dealing with keeping the peace as one of the few services the government should be focused on, and regardless if the government takes on a task like protecting rights it should do a good job of it.

• sffoghorn

When the alt-reich seeks to reopen matters resolved decisively by wars in civilian politics, the Civil War and World War II to be precise, then they are going to have the violence they’re toying with thrown back in their faces. Not only does this discourage them from raising these politics, it makes it difficult for them to being able to recruit.

These matters were, as Clausewitz says, were resolved by the continuation of politics by war. To reopen these matters in civil politics disrespects the sacrifice made by veterans of those wars. Do so at your peril.

• Boulder Commonsense

Jewish members of the ACLU defended the rights of neo-Nazis to march a few decades ago since despite obviously finding their views repugnant, they grasped that silencing their speech would be mirroring the authoritarian mindset they represented and that the American response is to allow speech but critique it.

It isn’t clear if you realize libertarians see “alt-reich” and think that may refer to the authoritarian leftists who wish to silence critique and dissent. Tolerance doesn’t mean agreeing with others, it means peacefully co-existing with them and granting them freedoms. Those leftists who seem to match the dictionary definition of the word bigot: “a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.”. Unfortunately there appear to be authoritarian thugs now on both the “left” and “right”, paralleling the sound “clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right”.

Civil politics requires actual respect for the spirit of freedom of speech, not juvenile attempts to silence others. Such tactics call into question whether they are using them due to an inability to make reasoned arguments countering their opponents. Any reference to “veterans of those wars” is referring to generation where unlike perhaps today, the odds are the vast majority of those people grasped the spirit of freedom of speech and would find the behavior of those silencing discourse to be utterly repugnant.

I likely won’t waste time replying to a poster who I suspect isn’t likely to consider learning about the spirit of the first amendment those veterans fought for.

• sffoghorn

Government should never prior restrain speech.

The community is not bound by the First Amendment like the Congress and states are. The answer to speech is more speech to the extent that more speech can make it more difficult for other speech to occur.

Think of it like Citizens United with people power instead of money power.

These are not simple differences of opinion on which reasonable minds may vary.

The anti fa and black bloc practitioners are in general anarchists and don’t consider themselves communists or leftists.

The alt-reich here seeks to relitigate in civilian society matters resolved by war.

They do so at their peril.

• Nunya Beeswax

The “community” is kind of an amorphous idea, and if the word “mob” is substituted, the import of the statement becomes chilling. The “community” does not have the right to intimidate, bully or beat anyone into silence.

People have the right to assemble and to protest. If the organizers of an event are cowed by a protest, or made to think again about the ramifications of whatever they’re supporting, that’s not a problem. But when property is being damaged or destroyed, the law is being broken. When punches start flying, the law is being broken. People who violate those laws should be arrested, not given an arena in which to misbehave with impunity.

The end does not justify the means. Two wrongs don’t make a right. The depth of your political convictions doesn’t give you the right to silence anyone.

• sffoghorn

If unrestrained private political and corporate contributions can shout down citizens in electoral campaigns, then individual citizens can unite together to deny the alt-reich provocateurs space to speak in our communities.

The point is to raise the cost of this kind of politics so that nobody wants to pay it. Freeze people out of the political system and they will express themselves otherwise.

Open the political system and all of this goes away.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

Funny how the fascists use false claims of alleged wrongs to justify their own wronful behavior.

Two wrongs don’t make a right.
            They just make two wrongs.

You claim

And yet, by not letting Ann Coulter speak, and stopping people from hearing her, you have effectively “frozen out people”
            And in the process infringed on their right to speak and hear FREELY.

You are NOT advocating ” Opening the political system.”
            You are trying to justify closing it.

And you’re not even aware of the fact that your words are the opposite of the actions.

• sffoghorn

You all whined that Bush II lurched to the left when he came to DC. Trump seems to be continuing on most salient policies of the Obama administration.

Yet you all do not complain. I am sure that in four or eight years time, you all will whine that Trump also was captured by the leftists in DC.

This is what disconnect from any sort of generally accepted terms of discourse in political studies gets you.

Words have meaning unless you’re in the Alice in Wonderland of the alt-reich where they mean whatever you want them to mean.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

1) Spare us from ignorant strawman arguments like:
            “You all whined that Bush II lurched to the left when he came to DC. “
            And who do you mean by: “You all “ ?

2) Trump has already reversed a bunch of Obama policies.
            But hey,
            Go ahead and list those”
            “most salient policies of the Obama administration.”
            Let’s see if you even have a clue about that.

3) Then you launch into another stupid strawman with another stupid
            “You all “ generalization.

4) Indeed words may have meaning.
            Too bad yours seem to have none, other than to create false arguments or prove your ignorance.
            Hopefully you can do better soon.

• sffoghorn

So Trump ran to dismantle NATO. He has decided NATO is cool.
            Trump ran against Wall Street and he packed his cabinet with Wall Street.
            Trump ran against intervention in Syria and now he wants to intervene in Syria.
            Trump ran to repeal The ACA and Trump has failed to repeal the ACA.
            NAFTA is still there.

By and large, Trump supporters are discovering they’ve been had again, that they are Trump Chumps. Having been softened up by decades of propaganda, you all will basically swallow anything that the propaganda tells you to.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

Actually, in a civil society, the community is ALSO bound by the principle of Free Spech.
            It’s only in dictatorships that the notion of free speech among citizens does not exist, and is actively suppressed and even criminalized under the label of “dissent”. In some cases, like the Soviet, it resulted in the governement even encouraging children to snitch on their parents for committing such illegal speech.

How far are you fascists willing to go to squelch debate among free people ?

• sffoghorn

There are neither legal nor cultural requirements on the citizenry to allow haters to preach hate in the public square.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

By using silly and misleading labels like “alt-reich”, you only demonstrate your own ignorance of history. Which make your references to historical events an exercise of nonsense.

Not to mention that for anyone seeing “reich” from the left, brings a smile at the ignorance of the user
            (Just for the record, fascists were left-wing socialists.
            Look it up.)

Winston Churchill and Huey long had it right when decades past they stated:
            “The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists”

But then hypocrisy has always been one aspect of the left.

• sffoghorn

You all would decry Long as a communist were he around today. “Every Man A King” is as communist as it gets.

• Arafat

An article in the National Review raised the following point: Napolitano was head of Homeland Security for four years under Obama. But, evidently she cannot even protect a guest speaker on the campus she’s charged with running.

She, more than anyone else, should be fired.

• sffoghorn

Napolitano administers the entire UC system that is the flagship public higher ed system of the nation.

She does not administer the day-to-day goings on at UC Berkeley.

I am not a fan of Napolitano.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

Once again, you demonstrate the failure of your eduaction.

• sffoghorn

No, Coulter and her acolytes are all butt-hurt that the state did not provide them the warm embrace of regulation to ensure that she could spew hatred.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

Nice spin
          Too bad it’s total bullshit.

• Sam Spade

LOL we win. Learn a lesson. Thugs will always loose in the face of collective opposition

• Khalisnky

Actually, there’s just been an announcement that Alt-Right figures Gavin Mcinnes and Lauren Southern, among others, are planning in coming to town and giving their own speeches/rally.

• SMH

.

BBRING ‘EM **ONNN**…

WE’LL GIVE THEM A HEARTY WELCOME TOO!!…

.

• Anax of Rhodes

You didn’t, lol. They spoke with barely any opposition. Though Coulter’s event cancellation was the bigger prize, granted.

• SMH

.

Anax of Rhodes: “They [Gavin Mcinnes and Lauren Southern] spoke with barely any opposition.”

THAT’S BECAUSE NOBODY CARED — NOT EVENT THE MEDIA.

BECAUSE THEY ARE COMPARATIVE **NNNOBODIES**.

AND THEY CERTAINLY DIDN’T SPEAK ON CAMPUS!!

.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

You lose on three points

1) It was the thugs who silenced her with the threat of violence
      2) Anytime Free Speech is infringed, society slides one step closer to some form of dictatorship, usualy some variant of fascism
      3) Ulitmately Ann Coulter has won. And NOT Berkeley or the fascists who silenced her.
      She can now wrap herself in the flag, while at best you fascists get to wear Red Coats, or worse the uniforms of your predecessors, Mussolini’s Squadristi, Franco’s Falangist, NSDAP’s SturmAbeilung, and the NAZI SS.

Only a deluded fool, or a useful idiot, would call that a win.

• LordAjax

Looks like the Golden Bear is now going to be replaced with the Swastika. Bravo Berkeley! You’ve just won the Joseph Goebbels Award for intimidating those who dare have an idea that is the polar opposite of yours. Next up, the push to purge all Conservatives from the UC Campus to ensure the Liberal Master Race is preserved.

• Sam Spade

The only brownshirts were coming to invade under the guise of free speech

• sffoghorn

The only thing that made the Nazis bad was the propaganda and authoritarianism, huh?

The genocide, war crimes, crimes against humanity and crimes against peace were footnotes for contemporary “conservatives.”

• Stan Morgan

They were Leftists Einstein.

• sffoghorn

Lemme guess, you graduated from the Fox News school of political science?

• C Bierbauer78

Stan buys his opinions at Liars “R” Us!

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

As opposed to you two, arming up at Ignorance “R” Us..

If you or your parents paid for your education, you should try for a refund.
            You’ve been cheated.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

As opposed to you two being graduates of Ignorance “R” Us ??

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

As oppsed to what ?
            SOSDIP ?
            The School of Socialist Denial, Ignorance and Propaganda ?

The term “fascist” evolved from the Italian National Socialist under Mussolini, adoting the Roman Fasces as their symbol
            Hence Fascista –> Fascists –> Fascism.

The term then crossed over to describe all the other National Socialist groups in Europe and even the US.

• sffoghorn

I went to a top tier flagship state university and took my degree in political science, comparative politics, in a deep red state.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

So ?
            Apparently you didn’t learn much.

Maybe you need to talk to a lawyer about getting a refund.
            Because clearly, you haven’t even been taught the basics.

• sffoghorn

My political analysis is both descriptive and predictive and prescriptive.

That means it explains why things are the way they are, how they will turn out all things being equal and what interventions would change outcomes.

And I can engage in political analysis without insulting people who don’t totally agree with me which seems to be the upper bound on your analytical capacity.

• john

You are very impressed with yourself. You confuse education with the ability to think for yourself. There is a difference.

• sffoghorn

I am thinking for myself. You refuse to acknowledge that others can arrive at independent conclusions via independent analysis. That is similar to the insular liberal. You want a safe space where anyone who does not agree with you is deemed a moron or stupid and you are protected from any threatening thoughts because they make you butt hurt.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

Your maybe learned how to think, although that’s not evident.
            But clearly you have a GIGO problem.
            You lack the ability to evaluate your basic input for quality.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

Ah yes..
            Smug liberals with a greatly overvalued sense of their worth..
            As in:
            “I went to a top tier flagship state university and took my degree in political science, comparative politics..”

A complete description can be found here.
            https://www.vox.com/2016/4/21/11451378/smug-american-liberalism

The poor thing doesn’t realize that others may have gone to better schools and studied more difficult subjects.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

All that came AFTER they took power.

Maybe you need to study up on history and look up the meaning of words like
        sequence and consequence.

Currently we are fighting a battle to prevent the left, be they communists, fascists or any other socialist variant from taking over the country.

• sffoghorn

There is no left in the US. The Democrats lost because they chased Republicans to the right and lost their base. Communists don’t bail out Wall Street and get paid to speech to them about how they’re safe from populist rage.

If you think that anyone you don’t like politically are leftist fascist communists then you are operating within a political context not connected to reality.

Mussolini did not run as a socialist. He ran as a fascist against the socialists and communists.

As far as Hitler, goes, the key word in his party was National, as in Trump’s nationalism–America first. The whole point of the party was to drain support from the Socialists and communists.

Mass political hallucination, detaching term from any reference and allowing it all to float like plasma in free space.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

An outright lie of:
            “There is no left in the US. “
            won’t fly bub.
            Bernie Saunders is pretty much hard left.
            the *neo-fascist antifa* thugs are definitely hard left
            BAMN is most definitely hard left.

And don’t try fancy footwork by trying to conflate communists with Democrats, although with Bernie Saunders, that claim is valid.

Unlike such as you, I don’t bother with projection, nor with projecting emotions on others
            If I call someone or some group fascist, it’s because the description fits then.

Mussolini was a lifelo and founded the Italian National Socialist party, which got the name “fascist” when it adopted the Roman Fasces as their symbol.
            And the reason that communists and other socialist clashed with the fascist is simply because they were fighting among themselves for the same space. Just like the Bolshevik, Memshevik and all other socialists have done for over a century.

And no Hitler was a National Socialist as opposed to an International socialist, aka Communist.
            And your attempt to conflate Trump to fascism by using “national” has got to be your most stupid argument yet.
            Heck, even Obama is more fascist than Trump.
            We only have to look at his corporatism with ObamaCare and GM.

No need to describe yourself in the last paragraph.
            It’s evidently clear with the delusional nonsense that preceded it.

• sffoghorn

Bernie Sanders is a 1960s era liberal. Liberals are reformists, not leftists. Liberals operate wholly within the confines of capitalism.

You should not take political science education from propagandistic media outlets. Reading source material is not that difficult.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

Bernie Sanders is so much of a Communist that he actually honeymooned in the Soviet
            But even if you ignore that, you can NOT ignore that he’s a self-described Socialist.
            And that is undeniable from his platform when he ran for candidate to the Presidential election.

One has to wonder what propaganda source nourished your ignorance.

Unlike you, bub, I have first had experience with Communism
            And your fantasies to that reality are on par with Disney retelling of fairy tales.

• sffoghorn

Sanders politics are a watered down version of the Democrat Party platform of 1968.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

BWAHAHAHAHA…

Riiiiiiiiight…

Makes me think of Bill Cosby’s Noah skit.
            When God asks Noah after a hissy fit.
            “How long can you thread water ?”

• sffoghorn

If you think that anything but right wing conservative is leftist communist, then you are not to be taken seriously. If all you can do is insult, then it is time to block you.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

Spare us the either or, with a really false or clause, strawman.

If you can’t debate without using false arguments, you should block yourself.

And by the way, when did I insult you.

• SMH

LordAjax: “Next up, the push to purge all Conservatives from the UC Campus to ensure the Liberal Master Race is preserved.”

…SOUNDS GOOD TO *ME*!!…

:-)

.

• AR-15 for ARII

Liberals will learn that their ‘War on Americans’ is doomed to failure. We have not yet begun to fight!

• SMH

.

**OOOO**…!!!

NOW WE’RE **SCAAAARED**…!!

BUT YOU ULTRA-RIGHT-WING **NNUTTJOBS** HAVE **ALREADY** LOST:

***THREE*** TIME ***LLLOOOZZZERRRS***!!

NO *MILO*!

NO **HOROWITZ**!!

NO ***COULTER***!!!

***HA-HA-HA***…!!!

.

• C Bierbauer78

So send us an e-mail when you are ready. We aren’t holding our breath.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

The April 15 rout of the *neo-fascist antifa* thugs was the equivalent of the Battle of Concord.

• SMH

.

“Battle of Concord”!!…: WHAT **HILARIOUSLY INFLATED** SELF-IMPRESSION YOU ULTRA-RIGHT-WING **NNUTTJOBS** HAVE OF YOURSELVES!!

.

• SMH

.

ANN COULTER DATED A **LIBERAL** **DEMOCRAT**!!!

From Wikipedia:

[ANN COULTER] began dating Andrew Stein, the former president of the New York City Council, a liberal Democrat — [ A ***LIBERAL*** **DEMOCRAT**!!!???…: FROM NEW YORK *CITY*…??? …NOT EVEN A *DIXIECRAT*???…].

When asked about the relationship, Stein told the paper, “She’s attacked a lot of my friends, but what can I say, opposites attract!

On January 7, 2008, however, Stein told the New York Post that the relationship was over, citing irreconcilable differences — [I.E., HE GOT HIS ‘BUCKET LIST’ FANTASY DONE…: FOR A CHANGE A **REPUGLICAN** GETTIN’ SCREWED…]

.

• Lucius

What an incredible role reversal. Fifty years ago it was liberals who faced violence on college campuses if they voiced an opinion. Now it’s conservatives. Perhaps, both ideologies are really two sides of the same coin. At the end of the day, both want to accumulate power and silence the opposition (by any means necessary).

• SMH

.

Lucius: “What an incredible role reversal. Fifty years ago it was liberals who faced violence on college campuses if they voiced an opinion. Now it’s conservatives.”

…SOUNDS *GOOD* TO *ME*!!…

Ha-ha-ha…

.

• Mercyneal

Um, no

• SMH

.
          Um, **yyehhhs**…
          .

• Paul King

They offered her another day during “dead week” because of credible threats and she pretended that no students will be on campus so it was unacceptable. I work there and the libraries are FILLED with students. She’d probably get more people coming.

She made a fuss about this week b/c it serves her agenda, nothing more. It has nothing to do with free speech.

• FreedomFan

Yes she forced YAF to bail too, comrade.

• skeptical1776

“She” is not really the subject.

The syphilitic Berkeley left and its Nazi tendencies are the topics.

• sffoghorn

Has there been genocide in Berkeley? Has anyone in Berkeley committed war crimes or crimes against humanity? Have there been crimes of war against the peace?

Have you no shame?

• yep, uC Berkeley runs Military Complex

• sffoghorn

But that is at the national labs, none of which are in Berkeley.

• skeptical1776

Go and screw yourself.

You Maoists and pol-potists have murdered more millions of people than Hitler himself.

Too bad your mom couldn’t afford a condom.

• sffoghorn

Looks like the little snowflake is all butt hurt.

• skeptical1776

Your late syphilitic mother, the cheap joy of the sailors’ community, should have taught you some manners.

• sffoghorn

My mom is not Ann Coulter.

• skeptical1776

All her night customers – all the trash with a quarter to buy her services – can testify to that.

• sffoghorn

I am quite familiar with Ann Coulter’s taste in sleaze.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

Only in your fantasies.

You seem to be suffering a bad case of fact-freeism.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

That’s for sure.
            You’d be a lot smarter had she been.

• sffoghorn

Since I’m paying the taxes to finance your social security and medicare, you should thank me instead of insulting me.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

What makes you stupid enough to imagine I’m receiving Social Security and Medicare.
            Even though I have paid into them for over 25 years.

Sonny, you’re not even close to paying for me.

• sffoghorn

Indeed. The Democrat/Republican economic policies have worked out fine for me and mine. It is the 60% who are frozen out of the political system and the economy by both the Democrats and Republicans that concerns me.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

Suuuure they do.

Stop with the virtue-signaling.

• sffoghorn

No virtue signaling at all.

I don’t like living in an environment where people with whom I grew up are excluded from the real economy and have completely crap lives due to no bad acts of their own.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

LOL
            Most definitely virtue-signaling.

Being poor in the US is the equivalent of being rich in most 3rd world countries.

The MAJOR problem with poverty is not the ability of people to get out of it.
            It’s that their behavior insures they stay poor.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

Stupid non sequitur and appeal to ignorance and emotion

Have you no brains ?

• sffoghorn

Fascism is worse than pretty much everything else because it delivered death on an industrial scale as it expanded imperially.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

Did you train to be a professional ignoramus ?
            Or did it just come naturally.

German Fascism is responsible for about 20,000,000 victims
            The Soviet, under Leninist and Stalinist Communist rule is responsible for about 60,000,000, Mao’s communist rule is responsible for even more.
            It is estimated that socialism in whatever form is responsible for about 200,000,000 democides in the 20th century.
            So at best the fascists represent 10% of the total body count.

Murder by Communism
            https://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
            20th century Democide
            https://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/20TH.HTM

• sffoghorn

The issue here is the introduction of fascism into US civilian politics, not the bad acts of Stalin. Nice try!

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

It’s definitely hard for someone like you to make ANY kinds of claims regarding fascism, since clearly you are COMPLETELY CLUELESS about fascism.

The equivalent would be you trying to claim:
            “The issue here is the introduction of vector analysis into US stock market operations…”, by someone completely clueless about vector analysis.

It sounds great.
            But anyone in the know recognizes the abyssal ignorance.

• sffoghorn

Fascism is the unification of party, corporation and state based on nationalism and expansionist empire. The Democrats were there for all but the nationalism. Trump added nationalism into the mix and sealed the deal.

Fascism is defined as extreme right wing

fas·cism
            ˈfaSHˌizəm
            noun
            an authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization.
            synonyms: authoritarianism, totalitarianism, dictatorship, despotism, autocracy; More
            (in general use) extreme right-wing, authoritarian, or intolerant views or practice.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

LOL
            Any idiot can copy paste blindly and stupidly from some dictionary
            Notice that it’s defined as right-wing purely arbitrarily. Much like pin the donkey.
            The problem with dictionaries is that they only reflect common usage and not necessarily CORRECT usage.
            https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benito_Mussolini

————————–

Fascism is applied to National Socialism
            Ironic when you consider that International Socialism, aka Communism, was only differentiated by that “inter” part.
            And let’s not forget that historical” Authoritarian, Totalitarian, DIctatorial , despotic and Autocratic” nature and history of Communism.

So what makes it’s near twin, socialist Communism, Left-wing, while fascism is declared right wing ?

Meanwhile.
            In slightly more learned environments than Google.
            http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/Fascism.html
            http://townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/2012/06/12/socialist_or_fascist
            http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/7-quotes-prove-adolf-hitler-proud-socialist/

Now we will discover if you actually suffer from Cognitive Dissonance
            Your response with give us a clear Yea or Nay

• Veronica Cawelti

The fascists are allowing their charges to run wild on the Berkeley campus. Those kids will be failures because they can’t face the real world. Death rates from alcoholism, drug abuse and suicide will be going up and up. Watch.

• Lucius

If conservative speakers face “credible threats” if they speak at Berkeley, then Berkley’s got the problem. Let’s not put the cart before the horse.

• Paul King

Well, the police said there were threats from both sides of the spectrum. They didn’t release any details so we don’t know.

Yeah, they wanted to deal with the “problem” by having her speak at a different time and venue for safety reasons. You don’t like how they wanted to deal with it.

• Lucius

If Milo’s event was any predictor, I think you and I well know where the threats of violence are originating. Let’s dispense with needless speculation.

• Paul King

I think you misread what I wrote. I said the POLICE said there were threats from both sides of the spectrum. Since they refused to give any details, we don’t know. That’s exactly true.

I agree that it’s probably the Black Bloc and ANTIFADA or similar groups at work as far as the threats. Both groups are pretty clearly from OUTSIDE the campus. Berkeley is in a very urban area and UCB is a public is right in the middle of it.There’s some co-mingling but it’s really innacurate to say campus liberals are responsible. The vast majority of students have protested peacefully.

However, as in the protest two weeks ago in Berkeley, both the BB and ANTIFADA leftists and the Neo-Nazi’s and Trump people were drawing blood from each other pretty much equally from what I could see from being on the ground, all in the same juvenile, counter-productive fashion.

If you’re really interested in not falsely conflating, let’s get real. When Bernie Sanders appears at a conservative institution he’s not talking about ripping away the support systems that keep large parts of population going or trying to legislate what a woman can do with her body.

There is an attack inherent in Coulter’s (and others like her) worldview towards the middle and lower classes in very tangible ways that are already being undertaken. How is that not going to be met with hostility? Most of us are THAT, not the rich.

Sanders is talking about taxing some of their parents at a much higher rate. Not really the same thing – the wealthy can take that and the only thing it really hurts is their pride.

Of course she should be able to speak and she had the opportunity – just not at the time she wanted which is something many speakers have to deal with when arranging to speak. There are limited spaces to begin with and few where law enforcement said they could maintain a degree of safety. You can think they’re lying but law enforcement tends to be more sympathetic with Conservatives in my experience.

• Lucius

Some of your comment, I do not necessarily disagree with, but I do take issue on a

“When Bernie Sanders appears at a conservative institution he’s not talking about ripping away the support systems that keep large parts of population going or trying to legislate what a woman can do with her body.

• Paul King

I think that’s the Republican platform, though dressed up in nicer language. I know they frame it differently but the goal is very much that. They don’t necessarily mean it with hostility, so to speak, but their ideology has a central component that implies that people don’t deserve basic survival and that everyone needs to earn it through our system. The premise itself presupposes that it’s even possible and that powerful people are pursuing polices based on that premise is like salt into the wound of those who are struggling.

On the abortion issue, it’s still a woman’s body and many women are likely to feel like someone trying to control women’s bodies because of their personal religious beliefs is a fundamental attack on their freedom. Again, enraging.

Conversely, Sanders talks about redistributing wealth (to some degree) and presupposes that private industry cannot provide egalitarian coverage of basic survival needs in human society. Even if you disagree with that belief, he’s not saying conservatives don’t deserve survival or control over their bodies, just that the wealthy need to pay more taxes.

One is an attack on people and the other on the pocket book of people that won’t really feel the dent. It’s different.

• Lucius

See you and I are arguing policy, right here and right now. I am not angry and you are not angry (presumably). Obviously, we don’t agree. But the point of my original comment was not to argue the merits of conservative or liberal policy, but it was to point out the very real and growing strain of violence (like actual real violence, not words as violence) within campus liberalism (not necessarily liberalism broadly) against ideas with which it disagrees. The irony is this type of violence is actually very illiberal and analogous to tactics employed by the Black Shirts in Italy circa the 1920s-30s, and dare I say, segregationists in the South in the 1960s. What I find most troubling on the left is the mainstream “yes, but” crowd, who say “yes violence is bad, but Ann Coulter shouldn’t be inflammatory.” And like it or not, you simply do not see similar violence from conservatives on college campuses.

• Paul King

I’m not arguing policy alone because I think that ignores too much. I think it’s a way of deliberately simplifying issues (and not facing the real world costs and consequences).

Yes, the Black Shirts certainly did that but the leftists are attacking the right in their hometown in RESPONSE (in their minds) to the possible rise of Trumpian fascism and the invasion of outside forces into their town. I don’t agree with the Antifada/Black Bloc tactics or much of their take on the severity of things but the Black Shirts were actively instituting credible state fascism under a rising tyrant in Italy.

For me, there is one question on Constitutional rights and one on context.

Free speech: It’s a given. Ann Coulter has a right to speak. She was given that opportunity, on a day and on a place on campus she didn’t like. I think everyone should have the right to say whatever they want. There’s no “but” except reasonable concerns about safety and logistical concerns and what venue is available.

The second issue is discussing WHY there’s a difference on liberal and conservative campuses. I was saying that difference exists – because the views expressed by a liberal on a conservative campus aren’t threatening the core audience’s communities with loss of vital services or right to healthcare, living wage, etc. That’s different from saying violence is an acceptable response to conservatives speaking on a liberal campus but that’s the context and the hostility (without violence) is a perfectly understandable response.

I don’t think the same is true when a liberal puts out his views on a conservative campus. The threat isn’t going to push the same primal buttons. How could it?

• Justin Goldberg

The only reason that policies like abortion and gay rights exist is because of free speech. There was a time when mainstream arguments would have sounded something like “abortion is murder of an innocent child, and homosexuals are degenerates trying to recruit our youth.” Using your logic, a hostile response by conservatives to liberals “threatening the core audience’s communities with [murder of children and perversion of the youth]” would have been a perfectly understandable response. Fortunately, people in our country during the 1960s-2000s were not as close-minded as you; they valued free-speech and allowed feminists and gay activists their free speech, and we were so convinced by rational arguments that we petitioned our leaders to support abortion and gay rights. This is something of which America should be proud.

Now that the tables have turned, you have shown your true colors. Shame on you.

• Paul King

Are you actually suggesting there wasn’t hostility directed at gay activists over a century of coming out of the closet, much less getting married? How many gay corpses over the years, how many beatings by cops simply for being gay – not even speaking out about it? Are you saying that Roe vs. Wade passed in a climate of civility from religious fanatics? Please read some serious scholarly work on the subjects.

You presuppose the “anti” were ever truly “mainstream arguments”. Abortion and gay marriage may have been illegal and the press and people in power may have framed the debate that way but that doesn’t necessarily translate to the population as a whole. Even the polls may have found certain attitudes but subconsciously, people just sense the irrationality and immorality of institutional barriers – often it doesn’t take much to wake them up once the climate is made possible.

Furthermore, there are very deep progressive roots going back in this country in complex ways and gay rights and abortion rights took place within a context of a much wider movement of civil rights and progressive values going way back.

The free speech existed because these movements were big and a lot of people worked very hard to make the climate possible as well as a long history of rights won in the courts.

Justice is won, it isn’t given. Don’t pretend it was a gift from homophobes or religious die-hards.

• Justin Goldberg

No, I’m suggesting the opposite, that hostility to gay rights and female rights has been endemic to the political sphere for the past century, and that only through free speech did this change.

Your framing the discussion as “people just [sensing] the irrationality and immorality of institutional barriers” is really just an appeal to emotion, which is indicative of your larger point-of-view that sees progressive values as objectively more moral or superior than conservative values. But that’s only a subjective viewpoint; progressive values can be re-framed by others as degenerate or regressive. Just as people have subconscious progressive tendencies, they have subconscious conservative ones. In any functional society, certain structures *must* exist, and it’s important we decide which of these are pertinent and which are irrational. A century ago, homosexuality was seen as degenerate and unhealthy to the family structure, and abortion was seen as the murder of innocent children and as a rejection of God (and as an impediment to tribal survival). Just as no rational person these days considers an anti-pedophilia stance to be “immoral,” a hundred years ago very few people would have considered an anti-homosexuality stance to be “immoral.”

Free speech allowed people to make the case that these perspectives were truly abhorrent. The greater population grew sympathetic to the causes (as you said, people have subconscious progressive feelings), and justice was won (through a combination of public support, legislative victories, and judicial decisions). I will absolutely agree with you that this was a victory for proactive activists and not something just handed to them, but keep in mind that these victories needed the broader support of the public (as Justice Kennedy explained in Obergefell).

Unfortunately, free speech comes with a price, as I’m sure you are aware. Socially conservative activists can make reasonable-sounding arguments that are counter-productive to female or gay self-interests. And while that’s understandably upsetting, it’s vital not to qualify their speech as less worthy of protection than marginalized people’s speech. Why? Because eventually social conservatives will deem *themselves* as the marginalized ones (and you as the oppressor), and your speech would be considered less worthy than their; you may lose the ability to fight for your rights.

• Paul King

I am skeptical of people who claim a lack of bias around issues like irrationality and immorality and I’d rather have a conscious bias than a subconscious one. You have a point but even the notions of what a functional society is, what structures should exist, what is pertinent and what is irrational are utterly tainted with culture and religion and ideology and I don’t think it’s particularly helpful to pretend that they exist in some sort of objective realm for anyone.

To not bring up the legitimacy of views has validity in evaluating evidence and research but in the context of a fraying society, I think that belongs in an academic seminar. We’re relatively cushioned in this society from the bite of real oppression but if Donny Tiny Hands and establishment forces really do destroy what they intend to and the climate scientists are right, we may have to leave the classroom and get real about class war and choose a side.

I also question the premise that morality is moral only because of the time we live in. Was slavery any more or less moral in, say 1200, just because nobody even thought to question it? To believe so is to adopt a detachment that seems suspect.

I do wonder if conservative and progressive are truly “equal” positions. I think one is regressive and one is progressive. To pretend that because a conservative sincerely believes conservative views it somehow has the same legitimacy is one of the reasons mainstream news is such a joke. For example: news shows will sometimes have a climate change denier who believes the world was created 6,000 years ago up against a climate change expert who sits among the scientific consensus.

I also do think that progressive issues are, by their nature, closer
            to issues of real world survival and relationships I don’t see how anyone can dispute that. They will feel challenges in a
            way that people who are going on not wanting to have to pay a higher tax
            rate or put up with other people marrying in a way they don’t like just can’t experience. I own that that is an intuitive take but
            there is a difference between a rich person not being able to buy a
            second home and a poor person losing their healthcare. Again, in the
            real world, not a classroom.

It’s important for thinking people to see that those two views aren’t equal. Just as you wouldn’t have a group of people who think the world is flat debating a group of people who know that it’s not in, say, 1950. They both have the right to speak but it’s ludicrous to pretend that we should just ignore what a scientific consensus means and what religious or cultural doctrine means.

All of that is really separate from the right to free speech. I do believe in that, totally. I also believe verbal “hostility” is also free speech, from both sides. It’s so obvious that I don’t really see the point of debating it. Of course everyone should have free speech. The Black Bloc and Antifada are wrong in their approach. I just understand why they see rising fascism (their perception) as something so outside civilization that we’ve left those rules behind.

The issue around that free speech here is: are Ann Coulter’s rights being abridged? The UCB police and UCB admin. stated that they couldn’t find a safe venue today for her and the people who want to see her. They offered her a space on May 5th. She doesn’t want that.

Did the administration lie? Are they acting out of sincere concerns about safety? Does that mean her free speech is being abridged? Maybe it is. Could you she come to Sproul Plaza and speak? Could they turn her away?

I don’t dismiss that utterly. Maybe the university should’ve tried harder. But I haven’t heard any arguments that are very persuasive – most just ignore what the university stated.

• SMH

Paul King: “I think that’s the Republican platform, though dressed up in nicer language. I know they frame it differently but the goal is very much that. They don’t necessarily mean it with hostility,”

DON’T BE NAIVE — AND DON’T IGNORE **HISTORY**:

OF COURSE THE REPUGlicans mean it with *HOSTILITY*.

GOLDWATER WASN’T HOSTILE?

NIXON WASN’T HOSTILE?

REAGAN WASN’T HOSTILE?

BUSH THE 1ST WASN’T HOSTILE?

ALL THOSE PEOPLE WERE *DRIPPING* WITH ANGER & HOSTILITY — AND ALWAYS RACIAL SCAPEGOATING AND RACIAL DIVISIONS AND WANTING TO TURN THE HISTORICAL CLOCK BACK TO JIM CROW TIMES.

JEFF SESSIONS USED TO BE IN THE ***KKK***!!!

BARRY GOLDWATER **OPPOSED** CIVIL RIGHTS LEGISLATION — ENDING FORMAL LEGALIZED JIM CROW — FOR BLACK & BROWN PEOPLE.

NIXON EMPLOYED “THE SOUTHERN STRATEGY” AND ALSO GLEEFULLY STARTED “THE WAR ON DRUGS” — *PURPOSELY* PUTTING MARIJUANA IN EXACTLY THE VERY SAME CATEGORY AS *HEROIN*!! — SPECIFICALLY TO TARGET YOUNG PEOPLE.

(EVEN YOUNG *WHITE* PEOPLE — THOSE WHO DIDN’T HAVE POLITICAL OR WEALTH CONNECTIONS — WERE GETTING **FIVE* TO *TEN* YEAR SENTENCES FOR *ONE* JOINT!)

REPUGlicans — WHO *SUPPOSEDLY* OPPOSE *BIG* GOVERNMENT & GOVERNMENT *INTRUSIONS* — WOULD RATHER SEE WOMEN **DEAD** FROM UNSAFE AND EVEN SELF-TRIED ABORTIONS, RATHER THEN RESPECT WOMEN’S RIGHT TO ***CHOOSE***!!

AND TODAY THE REPUGlican __*CHRISTIAN* TALIBAN FUNDAMENTALISTS__ EVEN OPPOSE **CONTRACEPTIVE** CHOICE — A POSITION WORSE THAN **MEDIEVAL**!!

(REPUGlicans — IF THEY HAD THEIR WAY — WANT TO **MANDATE** PREGNANCY & MOTHERHOOD!!

— EXCEPT FOR POOR BLACK & BROWN WOMEN, WHERE REPUGlicans HAVE IN THE PAST MANDATED **STERILIZATION**!!)

THERE ARE *ENDLESS* EXAMPLES OF REPUGlican HOSTILITY.

EVEN JUST AN UTLRA-RIGHT-WING BIG MOUTH LIKE ANN COULTER IS DRIPPING WITH HOSTILITY — AND SHE GREW UP IN ONE OF THE VERY MOST ***PRIVILEGED***…, ***RRRRICHEST***…, ***MOST EXCLUSIVE***…, ***MOST STATELY***…., LILLY-WHITE COMMUNITIES IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY!!:

WHAT DOES **ANN COULTER** — OF ALLL PEOPLE — HAVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT…?

AND WHO COULD BE MORE **HOSTILE** THAN ***TRUMP*** — *ANOTHER* WHITE PERSON BORN WITH A ***TRIPLE*** — **QUADRUPLE** — GLAZED GOLDEN SPOON IN HIS MOUTH!!

YOU’DA THOUGHT ALL THOSE RICH REPUGlicans WERE BORN DEEP IN THE ‘HOOD!!

.

• Paul King

I guess I mean that they don’t care enough about the people to be hostile. However, I think you have a good point that unconsciously, that’s what they are about.

• SMH

.
            LOOKS *QUITE* CONSCIOUS TO *MEEE*.

WHY?: DOES — JUST TO PICK *ONE* OF THEM — COULTER’S HOSTILITY LOOK “UNCONSCIOUS” TO *YOU*?
            .

• Paul King

Read Trivers (evolutionary biologist and sociobiologist) book on self-deception. These people are so lost in their indoctrination and self-justification that I don’t think they honestly see their own hostility as hostility. That’s all I meant.

Hitler didn’t see himself as a genocidal maniac despite it being obvious.

Trivers, R. (2011). The Folly of Fools: The Logic of Deceit and Self-Deception in Human Life. Basic Books. ISBN 978-0-465-02755-2

• SMH

I’LL GRANT YOU THAT, P.K.

THX! — AND THX FOR THE REFERENCE TOO!
            .

• SMH

.

I ONCE HAD A “LIBERAL” WHITE RACIST FEMALE BOSS IN A FOO-FOO CAFE BORDERING SOUTH CAMPUS.

SHE FLOATED AROUND AS THE GRANDE DAMME — AND ALSO PRETENDED TO BE A PATRON OF THE ARTS — BUT WHO WAS *SSSO* STUPID — SHE WAS ALMOST TOO *STUPID* TO *JUST* BE STUPID!

I DIDN’T THINK SHE COULD ACTUALLY MARSHALL THE MENTAL FORCES — SO MUCH AS TWO BRAIN CELLS (THE TWO SHE *HAD*) — TO *BE* RACISTLY DISCRIMINATORY.

THE *FIRST* & *ONLY* TIME I EVER CAME ACROSS SOME WHITE PERSON LIKE *THAT* — EVEN THOUGH SHE WAS RACISTLY DISCRIMINATORY.

–BUT, SHE WAS, ESPECIALLY, THREATENED BY BLACK *INTELLIGENCE* AND KNOW-HOW!

ANYWAY, I HAD TO HAVE A WHITE FEMALE ROOMMATE OF MINE *EXPLAIN* SUCH A *PARADOXICAL* RACIST TO ME.

WELL, MY WHITE FEMALE ROOMMATE EXPLAINED THAT THAT WHITE FEMALE BOSS OF MINE *WAS*, INDEED, PROBABLY TOO STUPID TO ACTIVELY *THINK* ABOUT…:

“THERE’S THE BLACK PERSON I HAD TO HIRE, BECAUSE I CAN’T BE SEEN TO HAVE *NEVER* HIRED A BLACK EMPLOYEE, BUT I’M GOING TO *THINK* OF WAYS TO BE DISCRIMINATORY AGAINST HIM.”

MY WHITE FEMALE ROOMMATE SAID THAT:

“NO, THAT WHITE BOSS, WHENEVER SHE SEES THE LONE BLACK EMPLOYEE — THAT SHE WAS SOCIALLY FORCED TO HIRE *ONE* — AND ANYTHING SHE DIDN’T LIKE IN HER BUSINESS, SHE JUST *AUTOMATICALLY* THINKS — WELL, *WITHOUT* THINKING, JUST SUBCONSCIOUSLY **PROJECTS** — “IT’S THAT *BLACK* EMPLOYEES FAULT — I’M NOT CRACKING DOWN ON HIM ENOUGH”

— AND SHE EVENTUALLY FIRED ME… — WELL, SHE HAD HER THEN LIVING *HUSBAND* DO IT.

I DIDN’T CARE BECAUSE I *PURPOSELY* COLLECTED A YEAR’S UNEMPLOYMENT — WHICH SHE HAD TO PAY *HALF* OF — WHILE — SUPPLEMENTING MY SAVINGS — I JUST TOURED AROUND THE BAY AREA WITHOUT HAVING TO WORK!!

.

• SMH

.

THE *OTHER* THING IS THAT ABOUT A YEAR LATER, A FEW OF MY FORMER WHITE CO-WORKERS — WHO ALSO USED TO WORK AT THAT FOO-FOO CAFE — & I ALL JUST HAPPENED TO HAVE COME ACROSS EACH OTHER AT A POPULAR CAMPUS COFFEESHOP.

AND WE WERE ALL CONVERSING ABOUT “REMEMBER WHEN” THIS OR THAT AT THE FOO-FOO CAFE WE USED TO WORK FOR HAPPENED.

AND SUDDENLY THEY TOLD ME “REMEMBER WHEN YOU ALWAYS USED TO GET DISCRIMINATED AGAINST BY [OUR OLD BOSS’s NAME]?”

THESE FORMER WHITE CO-WORKERS WERE VERY NICE PEOPLE.

**BUT**, I THOUGHT TO MYSELF:

‘YOU MEAN THEY SAW WHAT I WAS GOING THROUGH AT THE TIME — & NOT A *ONE* OF THEM EITHER SAID ANYTHING TO OUR WHITE BOSS — OR NOT A *ONE* OF THEM SAID TO ME, AT LEAST OVER TO THE SIDE AT WORK THEN — “LOOK, WE SEE WHAT [‘SMH’s’/YOU’RE] GOING THROUGH AND WE KNOW THAT IT’S *NOT* RIGHT”.’

THERE’S NOT A SINGLE BLACK BUSINESS WHERE IF *BLACK* EMPLOYEES SAW SOME WHITE EMPLOYEE BEING RACISTLY MISTREATED BY A BLACK BOSS, *ALLL* THE OTHER BLACK EMPLOYEES WOULD TELL THAT WHITE EMPLOYEE *&* THEIR BLACK BOSS:

“LOOK, WE *SEE* WHAT’S HAPPENIN’ AND IT JUST AIN’T RIGHT.”

.

• SMH

.

BUT IN A WAY I WAS LUCKY!…:

THAT RACIST WHITE FEMALE ‘GRAND DAMME’ FOO-FOO CAFE OWNER, GAVE A FOREIGN ASIAN EMPLOYEE *ALLL* THE *WWORST*, & *DDIRTIEST*, & *HHARDEST* JOBS IN THE FOO-FOO CAFE — JOBS — NOT *ALLL* OF THEM — NO AMERICAN WOULD PUT UP WITH — AND, ON TOP OF *THAT*, SHE PAID HIM A **SUB-MINIMUM** WAGE!!

AND I *DID* TALK TO HIM ABOUT *THAT* — WHILE WE WERE BOTH THERE!

.

• roccolore

You’re a racist black bigot.

• SMH

.
            OH NOW YOU’RE HURT ME ***FFFEEELLLINGGGS***, roccolore.

(ha-ha-ha–ha-ha…)
            .

• roccolore

Racist blacks like you get triggered when confronted with the truth.

• C Bierbauer78

Milo liked little boys like you. Luscious!

• ESPM360

Did Horowitz or Milo shut down have anything to do with free speech? Seems to be a pattern here.

• SMH

.

COULTER DEMANDED NOT ONLY THAT THE UNIVERSITY PROVIDE HER WITH *HER* DATE…

COULTER *DEMANDED* THAT THE UNIVERSITY PROVIDE HER WITH AN **AUDIENCE** TOO!!

HA-HA-HA—HA-HA-HA!!…

.

• Sam Spade

Good point! Now I’m rotfl

• Phineas Bogg

You laughed at your own joke?

It wasn’t even funny.

• SMH

.

YEAH, YOU TRUMPSTERS ARE YOUR OWN JOKE:

THE WHOLE WORLD IS LAUGHING IN DISBELIEF THAT THE SELF-SO-CALLED “WORLD’S GREATEST DEMOCRACY” ELECTED TRUMP!

— OR THAT AN **IDDIOT** LIKE ANN COULTER COULD HIJACK THE ATTENTION OF *ANY* AMERICAN CITY

— UNTIL THEY FINALLY GAVE HER THE BOOT!!

.

• Phineas Bogg

Typical Bleeding Liberal….. Screaming in All Caps while throwing yourself on your back & flailing your arms & legs as you babble a long novel that no one reads.

• C Bierbauer78

Listen, The Trumpanzee speaks, almost as if it were human!

• SMH

.

*YOU* OBVIOUSLY READ IT, Phineas…

HA-HA-HA…!!

.

• SMH

.

THAT’S NOT WHAT THE **UP** VOTES SAY, Phineas…

AND I’M *STILL* LAUGHING…:

“COULTER *DEMANDED* THAT THE UNIVERSITY PROVIDE HER WITH AN **AUDIENCE** TOO!!”

HA-HA-HA…!!

.

• Phineas Bogg

Don’t depend on the upvotes.

Down votes were disabled so Snowflakes would have better self esteem.
            It’s a digital Participation Trophy.

Until they enter the work force, then they’re gonna be shocked at what’s expected of them!

• SMH

.
            SO THEN THE ULTRA-RIGHT-WING WHITE-NATIONALIST **NNUTTJOB** — “Anax of Rhodes” — WHO VOTE FOR YOU DON’T MEAN, SH*T, HUH…?: I **AGREE*.
            .

• Phineas Bogg

Huh?

Did you go off your Meds again?

• SMH

***BLACK*** ANALYTICAL ***BRILLIANCE*** CAUSED YOU TO BACK YOURSELF RIGHT INTO YOUR OWN WHITE-‘ SUPREMACIST ‘ CORNER, HUH Phineas?…

HA-HA-HA…!!
            .

• Phineas Bogg

What corner did you mistake for me being backed into?

• Sam Spade

Thank you. You can’t have free and open dialogue when one side clearly states they are willing to physically intimidate people and the speaker encourages them

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

The only people currently arguing to silence people, or who actively go out and threaten and DO violence is the left.

It don’t see why you’re thanking someone justifying silencing Free Speech.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

It has EVERYTHING to do with free speech if you try to schedule her at a time and place that cuts access to her speech.
      Same thing with trying to schedule her in the afternoon instead of the evening
      You make it more difficult for students with classes or people with day jobs to attend, Thus cutting off some of her audience.

That arrant dishonesty of trying to argue that it’s not so is inexcusable.

• FreedomFan

Ann Coulter cancelled. Let the riots commence anyway.

• SMH

.

NOW ALL YOU ULTRA-RIGHT-WING WHITE-SUPREMACIST NATIONALISTS **MMORRONNS** CAN HEAD RIGHT BACK *OUTTA TOWN* TO WHATEVER SLIMEY ROCKS YOU ALL SSSLITHERED OUT FROM UNDER!!

——————————–

“WHITE SUPREMACIST NATHAN DAMIGO SUCKER-PUNCHED WOMAN AT TRUMP PROTEST”

.

• David Power

Ann Coulter is a very insightful and courageous woman.

• SMH

.

David Power: “Ann Coulter is a very insightful and courageous woman.”

SURRRE SHE IS…:

BILL MAHER AND — ESPECIALLY — **CHRIS ROCK** TAKE ANN COULTER **DDOWWWNNN**…:

“Real Time with Bill Maher – Ann Coulter Moment” — (1:05)

.

• Sam Spade

Now you are thinking with the wrong head

• your dad did a street urchin, so out came crap =U

• SMH

.

LIKE I SAID BEFORE…:

I HOPE THAT ATTORNEY REPRESENTING THE REPUGLlicans — WITH WHAT I ALWAYS SAID WAS HER *DEAD-END* LAWSUIT — GOT ***LLLOTTTS*** OF THEIR $$$ MONEY $$$ — FOR HER BUSY-WORK ON WHAT I ALWAYS SAID WOULD BE HER *DEAD-END* LAWSUIT *ANYWAY*!!

–ENOUGH FOR A SUPER-GREAT EUROPEAN VACATION IN ALL THE FINEST HOTELS AND RESTAURANTS!

HA-HA-HA—HA-HA-HA…

.

• David Power

A sad day for free speech.

• SMH

More on Ann Coulter…

OH LOOK AT THIS FROM WIKIPEDIA!:

Coulter has been engaged several times, but she has never married — [ ALWAYS A FIANCEE, NEVER A BRIDE…, I GUESS NONE OF HER SUITORS COULD *BEAR* TO ACTUALLY GO THROUGH WITH IT ALL] —

and has no children — [ I’VE SEEN THIS BEFORE, SOMETIMES DEEPLY DISTURBED WOMEN AT *LEAST* KNOW, THANK GOODNESS, THAT THEY *SHOULDN’T* HAVE *KIDS* TO SCREW UP EVEN MUCH *WORSE*!!].

“She was raised in a conservative household in Connecticut by Republican parents, with a father who loved Joseph McCarthy [**JOSEPH McCARTHY**!!…: SO YOU CAN SEE HOW THAT SCREWED *HER* A$$ UP].”

She has dated Spin founder and publisher Bob Guccione, Jr. — [ OF “PENTHOUSE” MAGAZINE FAME, THE **RRRAUNCHY** MAGAZINE THAT THOUGHT THAT GAPING *GYNECOLOGICAL* PHOTOS WERE *SEXY* ]

and conservative writer Dinesh D’Souza In October 2007 — [ THE SO NOTORIOUSLY ANTI-BLACK SOUTH ASIAN THAT ONE OF HIS FELLOW AND RARE BLACK CONSERVATIVES REPUDIATED D’SOUZA…: I, QUITE INTELLECTUALLY & PROFICIENTLY, ONCE PUBLICLY TORE D’SOUZA A NEW ONE, SO THE PBS NEWSHOUR INVITED ME ON TO BE INTERVIEWED ABOUT IT!!] —

.

• SMH

.

HA-HA-HA-HA—HA-HA-HA…!!!

.

• Arcadia

It’s not a “sad day for free speech”. Lying is not considered free speech. Opinions and truth are, but not lying. Hopefully these Republican student groups learned from this and will use those funds to bring in actually qualified Republican speakers rather than liars who disgrace the good name of free speech.

• David Power

And I suppose you’ve appointed yourself the arbiter of what is or isn’t true.

• vincent

Actually lying and hate speech are covered by the first amendment, outside of narrow exceptions such as if you are giving testimony under oath, as affirmed by numerous Supreme Court rulings.

• Sam Spade

Actually you are wrong

• vincent

Are you saying that my understanding of existing Supreme Court precedent as to what speech is and is not protected under the 1st Amendment is wrong or are you simply stating that you disagree with that precedent? If the former, you are objectively wrong as any cursory review of the subject matter will show. If the later I suggest you think long and hard about whether a society where those in power can silence those who are not by labelling their speech “lies” or “hate” is a society you really want to live in.

• Killer Marmot

No, actually you are wrong. Lying, in and of itself, is protected by the first amendment.

There are some exceptions. You may not lie in a way that defames or defrauds someone, for example. But these exceptions are highly restricted. In general, you have the right to lie.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable
    • FreedomFan

The level of ignorance being taught at Berkeley is truly astounding.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

Oh YAWN !
      Another idiot who thinks that only approved speech is allowed by Free speech.

You got it wrong, dummy.
      Free speech is ALL ABOUT the speech that idiots like you disapprove.

Lenny Bruce was about free speech
      George Carlin’s “Seven Words” was about free speech

You have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what Free Speech is about.

• Retired Professor

So much of the criticism of UC is wrong. Berkeley Campus and City are being attacked by outside agitators. The problems of crowd control are very difficult.

• skeptical1776

It is definitely time, first time Barry Hussy Soetero, the traitorous half-Kenyan piglet is invited to speak anywhere, for “anti-” crowds to show up and to sabotage the traitor from speaking.

…. Too bad conservatives are polite to the point of surrender.

• skeptical1776

Congratulations. What a glorious victory!

Leftist hyenas baying hysterically until they got what they wanted.

Berkeley has become synonymous with SHAME.

• SMH

.

DING-DONG THE WITCH IS GONE…!!!

HA-HA-HA—HA-HA-HA…!!!

.

• skeptical1776

“THE WITCH IS GONE”?

Oh, still celebrating the Hillary “presidency” I see.

Well, enjoy your “victories”, as they are. HA-HA-HA indeed!

• SMH

.

{ skeptical1776

“THE WITCH IS GONE”?

Oh, still celebrating the Hillary “presidency” I see.}

I DIDN’T LIKE INDEED LYIN’ CROOKED KILLERY CLINTON EITHER!!

(Even crazy Trump was right about *one* thing — and that slimey tax-evading real estate wheeler-&-dealer & SCAM artist knows *crooked* first hand!)

*THANKS* FOR *REMINDING* ME ABOUT HILLERY TOO!:

**TWO** WITCHES GONE…

*RRRINGGG* THE BELLS!!… CALL OUT THE CHILDREN (unless Milo comes back)!!…

*DDINGGG* *DDONGGG* THE WITCHES ARE *GONE*…!! THE *WITCHES* ARE GONE…, THE *WITCHES* ARE GONE…!!

.

• SMH

.

HEY DAILY CAL!…: WHAT HAPPENED TO MY POST SAYING HOW MUCH I *HATED* *HILLARY* TOO!??

.

• kwijino

Free speech started at Berkeley, and then died at Berkeley. Vicente Fox speaking for immigration? Cool. Anyone with a contrary opinion? Let’s kill them? Really.

It has been said elsewhere, but the “antifa” are facists, and ANTI-First Amendment. You antifa people are cowards with the masks, the KKK reborn as lefties.

• Merle Kessler

Can anfifa also be fa? And was Ann Coulter REALLY stifled here? She has made a good living from her speech efforts. Also, nothing’s stopping her from showing up and talking.

• kwijino

On the last part, I kinda agree with you. But to see the Berkeley administration fight so hard against it?

As a UCLA grad, I find this disheartening that the UC system is acting so poorly. I saw her at USC a couple of years ago, and there was no violence.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

antifa is fa.
          Looks like a fascsist, speaks like a fascist, thugs like a fascist
          By god, it’s a fascist

And you only have to compare their behavior to their predecessors,
          Mussolini’s Squadristi,
          Franco’s Falangist,
          NSDAP’s SturmAbeilung,
          and the NAZI SS.

• Charlie Victor Alpha

Antifa is the second to last stop on the liberal projection tour. The last stop is when they start buying firearms and supplying them to their hate filled criminal ranks, which is probably happening right now. They just can’t help doing everything they accuse conservatives of.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

I agree
            They will escalate.

And they’re also hypocrites, in that they justify their behavior and positions on the (false) accusations they make against others.

• john

The dictatorship of the loudest! How did appeasement work for England in 1939? This site makes it hard for me to get past the popups!

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

I must be doing something right..
            I didn’t even know they had pop-ups
            What browser are you using ?

Find out about the
            – Ghostery
            – Adblock Plus
            – Popup Blocker
            extensions, and install them.

Atlantic has a new tactic to make you see their ads.
            When you click on a link such as
            https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/05/the-shooting-of-jordan-edwards/525141/
            It will roll over to this.
            https://www.theatlantic.com/please-support-us/?next=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theatlantic.com%2Fpolitics%2Farchive%2F2017%2F05%2Fthe-looming-clash-between-trump-and-republicans-on-taxes%2F524994%2F#seen

The Solution is to do a copy of the ORIGINAL link BEFORE you click on it. Then paste it again go to it

• john

Your words are English, but strung together, they have no meaning to me. I will get my IT Resource lady on it, and see what she can do with it. You really are a nice guy, Attila. If I may ask, what was your first language?

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

Just to see what you were talking about,

1) I disabled AdBlockPlus
            You’re right. The side and bottom popups are not only annoying but really slow you down

2) Ghostery found 62 trackers, of which about 26 are snails that really slow down the delivery of the page because of all the additional processing they cause.

The two products above do about 95% of the work to eliminate the chaff from most web sites.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable
    • the hecklers veto has won

• SMH

.

* * * YAAAAYYYY!!!… * * *

. . . . HA-HA-HA…!!

.

• I believe thats why people call you liberal fascists. your people even wear brown shirts unironically

• SMH

.

***THREE*** TIME ***LLLOOOZERRRS***…

***HA-HA-HA***…!!!

.

• Attila Iskander – A Déplorable

Indeed

The so-called Heckler’s veto, us just a way for a minority to infringe on the principles of Freedom to speak, to be heard, and to hear.