Demonstrators gather on Sproul Plaza, in Martin Luther King Jr. Civic Center Park for Ann Coulter protest

coulterprotest_danielkim_ss
Daniel Kim/File

Groups from across the political spectrum gathered on Sproul Plaza and at Martin Luther King Jr. Civic Center Park on Thursday to protest the now-canceled Ann Coulter event.

Demonstrators gathered on Sproul Plaza and chanted phrases such as, “Say it loud, say it clear, refugees are welcome here!” UCPD set up barriers and congregated on Sproul Plaza, partnering with several neighboring law enforcement agencies to prevent potential violence at the protests.

Approximately 30 Berkeley Police Department officers were stationed at Martin Luther King Jr. Civic Center Park.

As of 1 p.m., UCPD had made two protest-related arrests. One individual was arrested on suspicion of carrying a knife on campus, while the other was arrested and charged with wearing a mask and providing false identification to a police officer. BPD made two arrests in relation to the protests, according to BPD spokesperson Byron White. According to a BPD Nixle alert released about 9:11 p.m., five arrests were made in connection with the protests, including:

• Mark Wilder, 52, of Irving, on suspicion of carrying a concealed dagger
  • An unidentified juvenile on suspicion of possession of a controlled substance
  • An unidentified individual on suspicion of resisting arrest
  • Donque Addison, 28, of Oakland, on suspicion of resisting arrest
  • Stephen Hall, 48, of Oakland, on suspicion of attempting to incite a riot and violating probation

“Our plan is to facilitate peaceful expression of free speech,” said city spokesperson Matthai Chakko. “If there are any crimes that occur, we will be looking to arrest and do everything we can to get them prosecuted.”

The demonstrations on Sproul Plaza began subsiding about 12:45 p.m.

The protests began largely in reaction to the cancellation of Coulter’s speaking event at UC Berkeley. In March, Berkeley College Republicans and BridgeUSA invited Coulter to speak on campus toward the end of April. After discussions with the campus administration, however, the event was postponed to September because of active security threats.

After the campus announced the postponement, Coulter insisted that she would visit the campus Thursday, as originally planned. But Wednesday, Coulter announced that she would no longer be visiting the campus due to lack of support, and that her event was canceled.

UC Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks and Mayor Jesse Arreguín released a joint statement Thursday morning, stating that they will not endanger the Berkeley campus and community “by permitting an event to be held in a venue that (their) police force does not believe to be protectable.”

“Creating an environment that prevents violence is not censorship, rather it is protection of free speech,” the statement said. “Ann Coulter did not take up the University’s offer to have the event held at a time where we could ensure safety. To be clear, the decision to cancel the speech was that of Coulter, not the University.”

Many community groups who had planned on protesting at Coulter’s appearance Thursday decided to continue their demonstrations, even though the event was canceled.

Raphael Kadaris, a member of Refuse Fascism, addressed onlookers on Sproul Plaza with a megaphone.

“Anyone who cares about free speech should be worried there’s a fascist regime in the White House,” Kadaris said.

Several conservative groups gathered at Martin Luther King Jr. Civic Center Park to protest the cancellation of Coulter’s event.

“I am here to defend free speech,” said Lauren Southern, a conservative activist and writer. “Show Antifa it is not their land, and violence will not be tolerated.”

Individuals entering Sproul Plaza may be subject to search for weapons, banners and explosive devices, according to a sign posted on a pillar outside of  Martin Luther King Jr. Student Union and a UCPD Nixle alert released about 1:52 p.m. The alert declared Sproul Plaza an “event area,” notifying the community that the area would have limited access.

Dajah Walker, a Berkeley High student, said she called her father to take her out of school for the day because she didn’t feel safe. Todd Walker, Dajah Walker’s father, said he was already on his way to pick up his daughter when she called him. He had heard about the protests on the news.

“This shouldn’t be going on right across (from) a school where kids are trying to learn,” Todd Walker said. “I wasn’t going to take a chance with my daughter getting hurt.”

Glen Abalayan, a third-year philosophy student at UCLA, said he decided to travel to UC Berkeley when he discovered that Coulter was visiting the campus. On his way, he found out that Coulter had canceled her planned speech.

“We want to defend our right to free speech,” Abalayan said. “You can’t silence somebody with threats of violence.”

Officers from UCPD, BPD, Oakland Police Department and Alameda County Sheriff’s Office had covered the entirety of Sproul Plaza by Thursday morning, and UCPD Officer Sean Aranas said he expected to be on Sproul Plaza all day. The Student Union and Golden Bear Cafe were both closed as of noon.

BPD and UCPD released Nixle alerts about noon, advising community members about the protests and warning them that there would be heavy police presence in Downtown Berkeley and the south campus area. Both departments emphasized that while they supported the expression of free speech, they will “actively be looking to arrest people committing violence or other crimes.”

Contact The Daily Californian News Staff at [email protected].

• tess

time to round them up, lock them up and charge them with terrorist acts. this CANNOT continue – it’s anarchy and the American people need to demand that law enforcement handle them (whatever it takes – shoot them, tayzor them, haul them off – they are breaking the law and should be dealt with as such !!!

• David Sheldon

When the V for Vendetta clowns see who is attending THIS rally, they will soil themselves and head for home: “Mom, I’ve got laundry!”

• FreedomFan

A Berkeley degree will be worth about the same as toilet paper to potential employers.

• David Sheldon

In leftist utopia Venezuela – toilet paper is quite valuable!

• Chantal

Antifa = Jerry springer audience !

• tazzman

Illiberal fascism.

• Troy Dynes

The fascist left is intolerant of thought diversity.

• WBCarson

Marxists never are

• Fred

All far leftists never are

• WBCarson

Im my opinion Joe McCarthy was 100% correct in his findings and in his warnings.

• Sean_Alexander

I wonder if it is possible that the idea of allowing violence at these protests is a pretext to outlawing “large gatherings”. And the wonder of wonders, who defines large?
    The Berkley PD doesn’t seem to do much about it. In Baltimore the loon of mayor there said give them space to destroy, not much happened in Ferguson.
    Will interesting to watch the evolution of these “protests”.
    But as I remember, it wasn’t the Tea Party rampaging around breaking stuff.
    These other protests are way too large to claim it is the work of an agent provocateur.

• Fred

They are bused in paid thugs and goons to attack are republicans and conservatives, and to send them to hospitals

• FreedomFan

At Berzerkely, they have “safe spaces” for every strange group imaginable, but none for the one that actually needs a safe space: The Conservative Minority.

• Buzz

Free speech is under attack. Time to stand up to these little left-turd, crybaby, bed-wetting snowflake libs and crack a few heads together.

• 0315715

Looking forward to seeing leftist malcontents skulls come in contact with some police batons..

• Fred

the paid thugs and goons will most likely run away – they would realize they are not being paid to be sent to the hospital only the students should be sent.

• calimani

Bullets would be better. Much better.

• Ponyexpress

This is not going any place good..
    I wonder how many will think of hiring anybody who graduates from Berkley?
    The school has become a joke.

• ScottAg83

Does anyone really care about Berkley or anything else in Crapiforn – I – A.

• Fred

many Republican and Conservatives are standing for free speech and being sent to hospitals for their beliefs.. we all should care about what is happening in Berkeley

• ScottAg83

We left Saigon for the Commies, now it is time to do the same for Crapiforn – I – A.

• h2k

I definitely respect the police. I have always treated them respectively even when I get the occasional traffic ticket.
    Having said that, I wonder what type of person would want to be hired as an officer in the Berkeley police force. In the past, they didn’t seem all that anxious to enforce the law. That is unlike any policeman I’ve ever encountered.
    Do you know what I’m saying?

• SMH

.

WHY WOULD ANYONE EVEN GO BOTHER TO PROTEST THOSE RIGHT-WING ***NOBODIES***

— ESPECIALLY NOW THAT THEY’RE:

***THREE*** TIME ***LLLOOOZZZERRRZ***!!!

SEE THE THREE BLACK WOMEN SITTING AT THE FOUNTAIN — JUST IGNORING THAT *LLLOOONIE* *LLLOOOZER* WAVING HIS FLAG AND SHOUTING?

IF NOT JUST **IGNORING** THOSE **NOBODIES**, THE REST OF US SHOULD JUST BE ***CELEBRATING*** ON SPROUL PLAZA WITH CAKE & BROWNIES & DRINKS & MUSIC & DANCING THAT COULTER WAS **BBOOTTED**!!

LET ALL THE ULTRA-RIGHT-WING ***NOBODIES*** JUST BE **IGNORED** — JUST SHOUTING TO THEMSELVES LIKE THOSE OLD CRAZY SPROUL PLAZA ‘PREACHERS’ WERE JUST **IGNORED**.

NOW THAT THE **NNUTTJOB** RIGHT-WINGERS HAVE ALREADY ***LLLOST*** –TURN THEM INTO A **NON-EVENT**.

.

• m a

Yeah, just sit back and enjoy the oppression and denial of rights and loss of freedom!!! The left’s definition of winning– losing all your freedom.

• Bryan Mason

Thank you for proving beyond a shadow of a doubt how much of a moron liberals like yourself are.

• 0315715

Your mom wants her computer back.

• joetumeroll

Congratulations smh you have been added to “The List”

• Buzz

I have a suggestion for you. Try to occasionally use your little snowflake liberal brain for some other purpose than just to hold your ears apart. I can also recommend a computer shop that can fix your stuck caps lock key.

I am a white, straight, pro-life, Christian, Republican male who has
      a job, owns a gun, and pays taxes. So what else can I say today to
      piss you snowflake libs off?

• calimani

Losers? Like with the WH? Or Congress? Or the Supreme Court? If that’s losing, I wonder what we would call you liberals. By the way, give up the CAPS thing and ***’s. Makes you look like the immature, hysterical, irrelevant, desperate, crybaby that you are.

• TroyGale

Anyone who protests violently against the right of another to speak should be jailed. These morons don’t stop to think about anything, or they would realize that they are the enemies of our Nation. Ironic isn’t it?
    They are what they purport to abhor. These are the people who hate, and who would give up their Republic in a heartbeat. They are the Left, and should be reviled by all Good Americans, no matter Republican or Democrat. The Press won’t do its job will the Police?

• computerfix3r

Is that Doc Emmitt Brown up there holding the flag?

• calimani

These hormonal, underachieving, petty, dingbat-leftist, crybabies are the biggest hypocrites on the planet. And they’re so self-absorbed and emotionally-driven, they don’t even realize it. Poseur teeny-bopper morons.

• alternet09

That’s funny, protesters with nothing to protest. LOL I guess it’s time for the snowflakes to return to their safe spaces.

• m a

Nah, I think they have to be there a minimum of ~2 hrs to pick up their check from Soros.

• Fred

They are paid to protest, assault, and beat up Republicans and destroy property in the name socialism and fascism.

• ALovari9

Twilight Zone Opening “Imagine if you can, a world where the roles are reversed and the right were treating the nuts on the left the same way. You can, in the Twilight Zone” Cue music

• Roger Meyer

They should be protesting their fascist-selves. Ever hear of the Horseshoe Theory of political science, whose theorists argue that the extreme left and the extreme right are like the opposite ends of a horseshoe, which are bent back so as to be closer to each other than either is to the political center?

• h2k

“the right” is actually the middle – if you consider the rule of law and the Constitution to the be the anchor point.
      I don’t know what “far right” means…except you “really” consider the rule of law and the Constitution to the be the anchor point.

• showboatin

It’s amazing how much free time these leeches have to do this crap. Most people are WORKING and paying taxes to fund losers like this to cause havoc. Screw California.This state needs to secede and be it’s own nation and self destruct. Oh, and take NY with you.

• calimani

I truly, honestly hope that the North Koreans detonate a nuke in San Francisco. I would throw a huge party.

• Coming to a Crosshair near you, soon!

• juanmeden

More hypocrisy from the left. Censoring speech in the name of free speech? This is how the demented mind of the typical leftist works, or rather, fails to work.

• David Sheldon

Tread carefully all you alt-left fascists. Today, you will not be assaulting Trump supporters who were not prepared to defend themselves against your base thuggery – you will be up against former military, weight-lifting patriots who eat nails for fun.

• FreedomFan

Yes Democrat black bloc auntiefa fascists prefer to pick on skinny women and gay guys.

• Brandon

I so hope some of these Berkley douchebags bring their fascist radical leftist protests to Texas…..we have guns down here children and know how to use them. And no, we don’t offer safe spaces

• Meanstreak

We Americans should handle these leftist clowns, the old fashioned way! And we still might.

• TAG

Invoke MANDATORY military conscription and maybe these rebels would lose a little of their desire to pee in their nest.

• joetumeroll

It may be time to sweep the streets of these leftist brown shirts before they get too entrenched in the fabric and we have a similar situation to Germany. Just a thought.

• shredmaster8

I hate it when haters hate on other haters, it’s like Mad Hatter’s hating the hate that haters are hating!

• IndyGirl

Excuse me, but is it not those proclaiming to fight fascism the very ones who are practicing fascism???? Please cite ONE incident where a liberal left speaker was shut down from speaking with violence, riots, and weapons. . . . Ah, that’s what I thought.

• FreedomFan

Conservatives believe in free speech, free markets and free people.
      Democrats believe in govt coercion and mob rule.

• Arec Bardwin

Ideas so good…they have to be mandatory.

• Scott

It’s messed up but they really believe that too!

• ellkah

Such generalization is completely unhelpful. Stop propagating this us vs them mentality. It makes you no better than the militants who you’re criticizing.

• ellkah

I agree, that there is a huge problem with far left individuals blocking speaking events by those on the right. But I wish all of you would understand that this is a *vocal minority*. And you might be surprised by this:

“I’ve heard of some college campuses where they don’t want to have a guest speaker who is too conservative. Or they don’t want to read a book if it has language that is offensive to African-Americans, or somehow sends a demeaning signal towards women. I’ve got to tell you, I don’t agree with that either. I don’t agree that you, when you become students at colleges, have to be coddled and protected from different points of views.”

–Barack Obama

• Really?

Before or after he was elected president. Obama said many things prior to being elected and then once elected, show his true colors. A socialist.

• Cletus Van Damme

If it’s a vocal minority, why aren’t prominent liberals and Democrats speaking out against Antifa and their ilk?

• Chi Huavara

It would appear that the Antifa morons are as uneducated as they are self unaware.

• Arec Bardwin

The “anti-fascists” are burning books and trying to stifle free speech through violence. How ironic. Unfortunately, the irony will be lost on these generation cry imbeciles. I feel sorry for their mothers.

• Brandon

Their mothers should have beat them more often. Maybe they wouldn’t be ignorant hyper sensitive snowflakes

• Fred

Agreed – they do not realize they are doing what fascists did as well as all far left groups did in 30’s Germany, and Italy, Soviet Union, China, N Korea,…

• IndyGirl

They could almost make me support abortion. Perhaps their mothers should have.

• Bob Ritthsler

The first, molotov, first rock, the first real American attacked, open fire on the black masks until none are left.

• Fred

At least it seems that the Police are enforcing Calif’s law against wearing a mask while engaging illegal activities .

• tess

AMEN a thousand times !!!!!

• Brandon

Its pretty simple really. The first time the police department in Berkley gets serious with these scumbags and throws a few of these snowflakes in jail after giving them a dose of pepper spray and I guarantee you it won’t happen again. Radical leftists feel like they can say and do whatever they want because for the last 8 years there were never consequences for their actions. Give them some consequences and watch them scramble to hide like the cockroaches they are.

• John Wallace (Party of One)

So you have to ask yourself on whose orders have the police been told to stand down? Governor Brown?

• FASCISTS claiming they’re ANTI-FASCIST….They’re PSYCHOPATHS

• Fred

Agreed – they don’t realize they are the Fascists.. someone is playing with their socialist heads.
      The Conservatives are capitalists the direct opposite to fascists and socialists,

• ranklez

The Stalinist ‘antifa’ folks were chanting;

A SLOGAN
    REPEATED
    WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

• John Wayne

They are protesting the event was canceled because someone or a group threatened violence and that silenced free speech? So they are claiming Donal Trump is a fascist because we won’t allow Illegals to remain in the country? Or that he imposed a ban on SOME Islamic countries? So these people want a free and open border?

• James Bombard

When Soros is done with antifa they will be flushed out just like Himmler flushed out Ernst Rohm and the bfownshirts

• Northstar

Their Communist. Lead around like puppets by the Communist party. Calling themselves the “Resistance”…Time for Americans to unite and form a fully armed militia. So this Commie uprising and so called terror resistance can be put down.

• UK1981

Who are the fascists here? Somebody needs to buy these a$$e$ a dictionary.

• Derek Fors

Stand for liberty and defend free speech!

• FreedomFan

Democrats have always been fascists. Maybe their violent, censorious behavior at Berzerkely will finally make the country wake up.

• Nathan Carter

The country woke up in the last election and rid ourselves of that crooked party. It’s that party’s minions and overlords that are financing this ruckus. Screw Obama, Hillary and all of the Fascists Democratic Party of losers.

• mrca

Remember Bull Connor sicking the dogs and spraying fire hoses on demonstrators. George Wallace standing in the school house door while the Klan arm of the democrat party used violence and death to intimidate folks they disagreed with and tried to intimidate. Union thugs with axe handles. All democrats. By the way, the symbol of mussolini’s facism, was where it’s name came from, an axe surrounded by a bundle of sticks tied to it. Fascio in italian.

• Philo Beddoe

Are they going to arrest the thugs who wear face masks and attack people randomly and destroy property?

• FreedomFan

Yes the bwave Berzerkely police are finally enforcing the law which forbids wearing masks. That’s why the auntiefa thugs scampered away like cockroaches.

• Brandon

Funny the “antifascists” groups that were threatening violence and riots because of Coulter, don’t even realize that it is they who are the fascists. Shutting down someone’s speech simply because they espouse a different viewpoint is totalitarian in nature. Actually you could even take it a step further….the governments definition of terrorism is using violence or the threat of violence in order to achieve a political end. The radical leftist rabble rousers threatening violence because someone is going to speak they don’t agree with would fit the definition of terrorism. I move to label all radical far left George Soros funded groups terrorist organizations

• FreedomFan

If you want to know what Democrats are up to, just listen to what they are accusing their opponents of doing.

• George Fowler

I sure hope for some blood and violence. Maybe even a killing … that would be so cool …

• Roger

surely you are jesting. Or are you?

• George Fowler

Just a little irony. But I honestly would not care if some bloodletting did happen to let the morons know that this isn’t a freaking game …

• Roger

Look up Irony. I do not think that word means what you think it means. And who exactly are the facists…? Assumedly the folks with hoods and masks, right?

You can’t really be an advocate of “bloodletting” can you? As (of if) you answer, please point out one ‘facist’ policy, procedure or law that has occurred since 1/20/2017 as a result of the election.

• George Fowler

“… the expression of one’s meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.”
            Nope. I used the term precisely as I intended to, Roger. I think they are all children.
            I take neither side as being adult.
            I think that a little bloodletting would clear the air.
            What’s a revolution if no one is willing to die for their beliefs?

• Roger

Sigh. Just another aged troll trying to accomplish through incendiary posts what you did not have the chutzpah to do younger in life. Make a statement and go out for the “protest”. Get the attention that you so apparently desire but can’t seem to fulfill with your own actions. Geez…

• George Fowler

I hate to bring it up, Roger, but this aged troll was at Kent state … I do know a bit about mobs and protests.
            So if you would kindly stuff your sighs …

• SMH

.

**NOPE**!!…: HE’S — George Fowler — REALLY A **NNUTTJOB**!!

HAVEN’T YOU FIGURED THIS OUT YET ABOUT ALL THOSE **LLLOOONIE** **THREEE-TIME** **LLLOOOZZZERRRS**!!?

.

• George Fowler

Hee hee! Yeah, SMH … I must have given you a wedgie on another post, no? :-D

• Roger

sigh. there is no discussion with fools. and you are a fool.

• Paul Griggs

It’s about time the government started arresting lawbreakers. You can’t have legitimate protest if too many bad actors are breaking the law.

• Rusty W

Anti Fascists acting like Fascists, this so cool!! Popcorn at the ready.

• daddio and the deplorables

Starting to remind me of 1930s Germany…

• Scott

Work on that! Somewhere in your post you can find our chant ..

• River

Still waiting on some water cannons!

• WBCarson

F-cking Marxists.
    And they call us the facist and violent ones??

• Fred

Progressives, Fascists , Marxists, Communists and Maoists are all much the same – all Socialists.
      All bad for the People

• WBCarson

All in our schools training our kids from government provided Pre-K to college.

• KerrFee

Only in Libtard land area schools.

• glamdeluxe

Common core is everywhere. The department of education has corrupted American education and should be eliminated. Repealing the 16th amendment is the only solution. The repeal of the 17th would be needed first for the repeal of the 16th. It’s going to be a rough fight.

• JustKyne

Students graduated with a lot more intelligence before the Dept. Of Ed. was created. It exists for the teachers union – not the students!

• glamdeluxe

control of the curriculum is the goal.

• Roy Baty

Wait till the Right decides to Fight.

• HoosierMom92

I am ready for a face off. Are “they”?

• FlotsamSam

Well, you see what happened when there was a backlash. The ANTIFA scum stood their ground when it was just yelling back and forth, but as soon as that cowardly scumbag hit the guy in the head with the bike lock and the shiz hit the fan, they all ran off like cockroaches when the light are turned on! They are up for a fight when they have superior numbers, but when confronted by a matched force, they run for the hills.

• mccauley444

When confronted by anyone willing to fight back they whimp out

• Rich Betterman

ya they are liberals. the men are weak and them women are ugly.

• Tizzie Lish

such a classy comment. . .

• Rich Betterman

Truth is sometimes not classy …

• Rich Betterman

Did you cry when obama and Hillary lost so bad?

• C Bierbauer78

Yes. Ann Coulter turned tail and ran after encountering even theoretical opposition!

• WBCarson

We need to soon because as usual the GOP says nothing and sits spineless in DC

• Buddy Buck

The DC Lawmakers see their Jobs as Careers and do not want to do the things that Help America. They want to help themselves only. Most are failed Lawyers.

• Vin

“Wait till the Right decides to Fight.”

That’s probably when the Bezerkely cops would decide to intervene….unlike how they sit on their hands when hooded antifa gang up on individuals on the right.

• Hermen

yeah… it’s called the ‘rule of law’. (you call PD) We already fought a civil war, it didn’t end well.

• Roy Baty

The Civil War ended well, so did WWI and WWII, sorry to upset you, snowflake. YOu can float candles down the river, not me.

• DrJ3ckyll

Carry a wooden cane for defense. You can carry them anywhere without fear of confiscation.

• I wouldn’t send my kid to Berkeley if it was the last university on Earth!!!

• WBCarson

You would be a fool-or a marxist- to do so

• Raymond Beck

Berkeley isn’t a university, except in name. It’s an indoctrination brainwashing center for “liberal” nazis, run by Janet Napolitano, who laughed at students complaining about rising tuition, and shut down their protests, as she gouged them for all they may ever earn, and laughed at how they are good obedient dogs to their “liberal” professors. Janet knows nothing about education, and everything about nazi indoctrination. Janet is the supreme promoter of violence and censorship, the antithesis of reason and diversity she pretends to promote.

• TexanForever

Today’s SA brownshirts who beat up anyone in the streets voicing a different opinion. Hitler and Goebbels would understand.

• guest

what is sad is that the ex head of the Dept of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano, who now heads the Regents of the University of CA. cannot provide even the most basic level of security, and whose soft prior responses has only encouraged more and more violence and heckler’s veto.

• TexanForever

So true. Berkeley is now past liberal. … It’s just plain bizarre and weird. … Perhaps Soviet would be a better word. Marx lives.

• C Bierbauer78

TSA provides no secutity either, only the appearance of security. So did you have a point? Think hard, guest!

• Brenda Macedo

Ann has blood on her hands…the militant groups she’s encouraging to come and “protect” her at Berkeley are inciting violence with teen agers….inciting violence to further her own career. The goal of beating up as many college students as possible is the aim of groups like Oath Keepers and Proud Boys…Proud Boys are just little boys who have a long way to go to become men…cowards who punch women in the face. look at the videos.

• guest

Going to a riot is not a dress up party, Ask Reginald Denny.

If you go to a protest dressed in Black and decide to participate physically, verbally or both.. Things might just not work out well for you, no matter what side you are on.

But then as a woman if you want totally equality, well there is good and there is bad that come with it.

• Rich Betterman

the women are ugly and the men are weak.

• Old Timer

She failed as Governor of Arizona. Then Obama selected her for his animal pack. Her first week in that office, she almost caused an international incident with Canada. She was a walking disaster.

Then she moved on to Berkeley. My God, how the fascist Democrats reward their own.

• Tizzie Lish

Napolitano is head of the entire UC system statewide. She does not run UC Berkeley. She oversees all UC campuses. Dirks is Chancellor of UC Berkeley.

Geez, all the newbies commenting here have such wide ranging complaints. They say Berkeley and UC (two separate entities) are suppressing free speech but here Raymond Beck writes that UC is about nazi indoctrination. Liberal nazis?

• Hermen

lol…as far as those self-centered Marxists are concerned …. IT IS!!!

• Minxey

My 14 year old daughter wouldn’t even want to go there if it was the last one.

• Pattée Cross ✓ᴺᵃᵗᶦᵒᶰᵃˡᶦˢᵗ🇺🇸✝🇺🇸

ANTIFA = HATE
            ANTIFA = FASCISM
            ANTIFA = CENSORSHIP
            ANTIFA = ANTI 1st AMENDMENT
            ANTIFA = BOOK BURNING
            ANTIFA = DARK AGES REDUX

• blake sanders

ANTIFA = hired help for George Soros’ agenda to destroy America.
            Hired Help – drug addicts, dropouts, young losers without jobs that agreed to march and attack others for MONEY! They have no idea what the main objective is – it’s not theirs! It’s Soros.

• Shootist

Progressives, Socialists, Marxists, Communists and Maoists are all much the same – all Fascists. (fixed).

Inside of every liberal is a totalitarian screaming to get out.

• Steve Whitlock

These leftists are NOT fascists- they are Marxist revolutionary useful idiots. Fascism is a form of right wing authoritarianism. Read a book and stop using their language.

• WBCarson

Exactly right and the “free speech movement” of the 60’s was no free speech, it was to give Marxist the right to politically organize on college campuses.
            and we all know from history Marxist revolutions always start in the universities first

• daddio and the deplorables

Nope. Fascism is a form of Socialism. Check out Mr. Mussolini.

• AR-15 for ARII

Not to mention the National-SOCIALIST (=NAZI) Party of 1930s Germany.

• WBCarson

Hitler stole his Fascist idea from Mussolini. Only a state ran form of Capitalism played a larger role in Nazi Germany

• AR-15 for ARII

WBC Carson, “state run capitalism” IS the definition of Socialism!

• WBCarson

Yes and no…it was a bit more decentralized in Nazi Germany
            It did not resemble the USSR and their Central Committee planning

• johnonthespot

Not really. “The State” under the Nazis controlled your business determining what you made, how it was made, how much you sold, who you sold it to – “the state” was their boss.

• J***h2

Except in Nazi Fermany the industry owners such as Speer made millions serving the state, but in USSR factory managers had lots of perks but didn’t amass fortunes like Germany!

• WBCarson

Right, my point as well.
            Even if factory owners ran their shops, the still had to kiss the parties a-s.

• Arthur Fonzarelli

Dig deeper, the entire Nazi movement was an occult ideology and worship of ancient Germanic false deities fostering the Aryan superior philosophy that stirred the people and the troops into a mass frenzy of totalitarian entitlement.

• Arthur Fonzarelli

Also, the Nazis learned how to build concentration camps efficiently from the Russians who had already perfected it’s usage against their own people.

• Freeurmindz

The Nazi’s were a socialist society entrenched in a culture of the occult but the higher ups where deep into the religion of mystic Gnosticism. Yes they were deep into the occult as were the Communist leaders of Russia under Lenin as its leader. Karl Marx was very much into the occult of Lucifarianism which is basically Gnosticism aka white AND black magic which is rooted in the Kabbalah which teaches that Lucifer is actually your friend because he teaches you to harness and control black magic along with the more commonly practiced white “magic”. Also Japan was deep into the occult before and during WWII.

• Arthur Fonzarelli

Quite awesome, to get a response that even further illuminates (I know, coincidental) those practitioners of the Luciferian construct throughout history, is refreshing. Thanks for the additional information!

• Shootist

Hitler was a nut. He would say anything to gain power. I do not believe he had any ideology beyond gaining and keeping power, for himself.

• Tizzie Lish

You have described our deranged man-baby prez except the current prez also wants to rape wealth for himself and other rich folk with his power.

• Shootist

Trump as Hitler? That meme died two months ago. You should really try to keep up.

• lspanker

Never mind Tizzie… she’s a well-known Berkeley fruitcake. Even the other liberals want nothing to do with her…

• Shootist

LOL

• lspanker

Thanks for letting us know you’re a complete kook, Tizzie AKA OpenFullHeart.

• Feldwebel Schultz

Read Mein Kampf for an accurate description.

• Freeurmindz

aka socialism. Aka the Nazi party. aka the national socialist party of Germany.

• Nicholas

Next you’ll be saying ISIS is Islamic.

• C Bierbauer78

Next you will be claiming that the USA is a Christian Nation! Sick!

• WBCarson

Mussolini.rejected Socialism and Marxism and democracy. But yes, in the Fascist system the state is the main focus and the body of the public to serve the state.

• Mike

Mussolini was a socialist and former communist.

• WBCarson

Just read his paper while homeschooling my daugther. He was a journalist who was a Socialist who left their ranks and formed fascism.
            Its an interesting read…wish i had the link.He goes into detail about what is wrong with
            democracy, socialism and communism.
            For instance, he didnt believe religion should be erased from society

• Mike

Mussolini did not reject socialism. He used it to create the fascist state, just like Hitler, Franco, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc., etc. Liberals just make up excuses, like fascism, to explain away the many flaws in the socialist system. Yet, somehow, all fascists are “far right wing,” despite even you admitting they were socialists, which is anything but right wing.
            They always were and always will be left-wing socialists.

• WBCarson

i read his paper written after his March on Rome.
            He laid out exactly what was wrong-and right-about each.
            Socialism as we know it today did not resemble Pre WW2 socialism .
            He tried to fold elements of each into it. but still had a hate of democracy which he saw as weak and bowing to the whims of the masses. He loathed Marxism
            Strong state control yes, a form of socialism as we know it now, yes, but in his words back then it was not socialism

• PlainOldTruth

He never, ever rejected them. He adapted them. Look at Marx’s writings on race and you’ll see a bit of Hitler. Look at other bits and you’ll see Mussolini. Mussolini was a great admirer of Marx’s socialist model during his heyday.

• glamdeluxe

Not so. Always a collectivist.
            http://www.historyguide.org/europe/duce.html

• Shootist

No, Mussolini never rejected socialism. In fact he was the editor of the Italian Socialist Party newspaper.

• Mike

Ever notice how the far-left liberals admit Mussolini was a socialist and left-winger, yet, somehow, he turned “far right” when bad stuff started happening? It’s truly delusional thinking on their part.

• WBCarson

They run the schools, they rewrite the history and what our kids are taught

• daddio and the deplorables

more like wishful thinking.

• PlainOldTruth

Correct. Looks like Mr Readabook (Whitlock) needs to read a book.

• Jamie Frada

Good I’m glad other people realize this no matter how hard the left try to change the definition, fascism originated and belongs to the political left. Although if you were to believe what the google definition says.then you would think it belongs to the political right. It’s a perfect example of the left changing the definitions of words to fit their delusions no matter what eveidence exists against their propaganda.

• Buddy Buck

And History Books too have been changed for indoctrination purposes.

• Humility

Hitler was a socialist, you idiot. Are you sure you aren’t one of those useful idiot liberals?

• WBCarson

Nobody is an idiot who understands the danger these types of thugs and thier communist bosses pose to the USA

• Humility

Based on the statements this person made, I’m pretty sure he does not understand much

• WBCarson

The thugs in Berkley would bash his, yours and my head anyway

• Humility

That depends on what their leaders tell them to do. In his case I think he is one of those thugs.

• WBCarson

Obama built it over 8 years while using the IRS and the government to squash our side.

• Danceswithdachshunds

Fascsim and socialism are virtually the SAME – they BOTH need a dictator.

• WBCarson

Those thugs are not splitting those types of hairs
            Just know they hate us, our form of government, history and country

• WBCarson

If not at first, both will degenerate into a dictatorship.
            Europe is Socialist even if they have elected members of their respective countries Parliament.
            Here comes the EU…..which reeks of totalitarianism and erosion of States Rights to a powerful central committee ran from Brussels

• Mike S

Fascism is not right wing. It is left wing and always has been. If you read a history book, you would know that that the NAZI party was an acronym for the national socialist workers party. Fascist are Marxist. One in the same with the only difference is tactics.

The anitfa are using the same tactics as the brown shirts.

• WBCarson

Fascism has been defined by the Left of today as “right wing” but in Germany post WW1 when communist and fascists were fighting in the streets it was understood that both were Left wing

• alex488

Not if you consider their goals – single party dictatorial government empowered to mobilize people to address any economic problems. The only difference between liberal fascism and right wing one is that liberasts don’t mind completely destroying their own country and its identity in the name and on the way to an undefined altimate nirvana.

• WBCarson

Both believed in a strong state and had a disdain for democracy, yet hated each other.
            go figure

• Carl

Marxism/Communism, Socialism, and Fascism ALL stem from a Darwinian system applied to government. All of them focused, to some degree, on evolutionary theory and its application to civic theory. Hitler was the MOST Darwinian (master race, evolution of the species through genetic purity), but all of Communism/Marxism is based on class struggle and evolution through conflict toward the perfect state (in their mind, Communism). Mussolini who, like Hitler, was influenced by Nietzsche and the belief in social Darwinism, believed that violent struggle was the way toward social transformation.

The myth that somehow Fascism or Nazism is more “right-wing” than Marxism is absolutely silly and based on the notion that somehow Hiter was more “nationalistic” than Communism. This notion is easily dismissed when we view both Soviet and Chinese Communsim, or even Cuban communism. Once communism becomes entrenched within a state, that state becomes HIGHLY Nationalistic because it sees itself as the “evolved” state. This contrasts to American “nationalism,” for example, where Patriotism is typically associated with love of God and love of country, and not some blind adherance to the “evolved state.”

• genetics73

If only they were useful.

And for your information – Fascism/Nazism/Communism are all the same in ideology, behavior and totalitarian power quest. The Hitlerites learned their methods from the Bolsheviks; the Nazis of Germany and the Italian Fascists were all self-proclaimed socialists. The only significant difference between Nazism and Soviet-style communism was the official racial ideology of the former. The Communists were and remain “equal opportunity oppressors,” without regard to race.

To repeat – these ideologies, regardless of the name have in common the all-controlling, all-embracing power of the State, totalitarian control of society at a political, economic and civic level; they are all Hobbesians, and the Leviathan State is what they promote. All within the State, everything for the State, nothing outside the State; the rest is a distinction without a difference.

• WBCarson

We have already thought more about it than the thugs at Berkley.
            For them its about the process of destruction of this society to bring about a Marxist state

• rr_nyc

No you idiot. Learn history. Fascism and Marxism only differ in the totality of economic control and one is nationalistic while the other is globalistic.

• PlainOldTruth

“Mussolini is a man no less extraordinary than Lenin. He, too, is a political genius, of a greater reach than all the statesmen of the day, with the only exception of Lenin…” – Georges Eugène Sorel (2 November 1847 – 29 August 1922); French philosopher and theorist of revolutionary syndicalism. His notion of the power of myth in people’s lives inspired anarchists, Marxists, and Fascists. It is, together with his defense of violence, the contribution for which he is most often remembered.

• glamdeluxe

It’s all marxist. Mussolini was an avid follower of Marx and Engels. The left right pyridium is propaganda. You read a book. Try this one. http://www.historyguide.org/europe/duce.html

• Shootist

No, you are incorrect. The meme you mentioned has been carried by leftist historians as a way to differentiate between Italian Socialism and Soviet Communism.

“In a country where the sole employer is the State, opposition means death by slow starvation. The old principle: Who does not work does not eat, has been replaced by a new one: Who does not obey shall not eat.” -Leon Trotsky

This applies equally to Fascism as it does to Communism. Both grant the State total control over the means of production and the output. The only real difference is that under Fascism, the paper title to property is privately held (for what it’s worth), whereas under Communism all property is owned by the State.

Fascism, in other words, is a form of “socialism” that seeks to end class warfare by requiring the classes to work together, the rich to help the poor (preferably voluntarily) while all are bound by loyalty to the State, which needs to earn that loyalty by providing glory and honor and grand buildings and great institutions, great celebrations and victories in war.

Communist, socialist, marxist, fascists. No matter what you call them they are all totalitarians.

• John Wilson

Fascism (and Nazism) is a form of left wing socialism. “Nazi” is an acronym. In English it stands for “National Socialist German Workers Party.” When left wing adult children refer to Republicans as Nazis, they are showing us their lack of knowledge of world history.

• Taffy

Fascism is on the right with it’s nationalism and desire of a homogeneous society, and it’s on the left with large central govt control and planning.

So, it doesn’t apply exclusively to either, but to both in certain ways.

Doesn’t really make sense for someone on the left to call someone on the right a fascist, or vice versa.

• Aeffesstoo

Exactly! Everyone is using the wrong labels. What we are talking about is totalitarianism versus freedom..

• Taffy

Yep. Totalitarianism is taking authoritarianism one step further, not only do they want to control your behavior, they want to control the way you think.

• John Wilson

Not my work but I found it interesting…

“Fascism

The only official definition of Fascism comes from Benito Mussolini, the founder of fascism, in which he outlines three principles of a fascist philosophy.

1.”Everything in the state”. The Government is supreme and the country is all-encompasing, and all within it must conform to the ruling body, often a dictator.

2.”Nothing outside the state”. The country must grow and the implied goal of any fascist nation is to rule the world, and have every human submit to the government.

3.”Nothing against the state”. Any type of questioning the government is not to be tolerated. If you do not see things our way, you are wrong. If you do not agree with the government, you cannot be allowed to live and taint the minds of the rest of the good citizens.

• A Son of Liberty

You really should stop and think before correcting someone who isn’t wrong, but 100% spot on.

Fascism was Mussolini’s brand of… wait for it…. socialism! That’s because he was a… wait for it again… socialist!

And Nazis were… (I’ll bet you guessed it, didn’t you?) Yes, socialists. National Socialists.

Go read a book yourself, Steve.

• Arti

Definition of fascism
            1
            often capitalized : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts (((nation and often))) race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition………….. remove nation and you have the perfect defenition of a leftist.

• Freeurmindz

@Steve Whitlock. Actually your wrong. Right wing Authoritarianism is an oxymoron. Far right is limited government. Farther right is anarchy. The farther right you go on the real/original political spectrum before the liberals messed up everyones head; the less government control you have. Anything else is a scale with no meaning and one that goes in circles or loops and is therefore useless unless your purposely trying to mislead. So authoritarianism is a far left scheme of government. It is actually you who are using their messed up words. Hitler and Mussolini where far leftists. I mean the Nazi party literally translates to the national socialist party. The left pretends that the Nazis where far right or that fascism is a mechanism of “the far right” but how would a limited government without an unholy alliance of government and private sector ever be able to infringe upon a free society like the Nazi party or Mussolini’s fascist authoritarian government did. So maybe you sir, with all due respect, need to “read a book.”

• Shootist

right wing authoritarianism is an oxymoron. the Right wants smaller government, not leviathan government.

• Feldwebel Schultz

Ehh, no. see below.
            http://i.imgur.com/knfPhJG.jpg

• tednugentlives

Hitler Disagreed….

• WBCarson

We saw what happened to him

• Jaime Allred

The Marxist/Communists Protestors are all Pavlov DOGS!

• WBCarson

Useful fools. Notice how its the 1969 old Marxists who are usually behind it and using our youth to do it

• Jaime Allred

If you use twitter use #PAVLOVSDOGS
            Trying to Get the Truth Out!

• Friedrich

All names describing the selfish government form of COLLECTIVISM!

• Hsialin

99.9% Communists

• task

Finally people are getting to see that liberalism and fascism are indistinguishable.

• Farley

Damn, I sure hope so.

• ChicoCDM

Don’t forget the Muslims. Same tactics with a “religious” twist.

• Rich Betterman

The men are weak and the women are ugly and boy have they been losing for a decade now. They had little Obama but even so, he got crushed in congress.. He was a lame duck for 7 years!!! ha ha liberals. so insignificant.

• blake sanders

I think Dead Fred is a professor at Berkley! Am I right, “Fred”?

• GenEarly

All Tyranny, and destroyers of Liberty……….if we let them.
        https://westernrifleshooters.wordpress.com/2017/04/24/good-question-14/

• Brenda Macedo

Ann has blood on her hands…the militant groups she’s encouraging to come and “protect” her at Berkeley are inciting violence with teen agers….inciting violence to further her own career. The goal of beating up as many college students as possible is the aim of groups like Oath Keepers and Proud Boys…they are just little boys who have a long way to go to become men…cowards who punch women in the face. look at the videos~

• TheBBP

They think that if they shout it loud enough and often enough that people will believe it.

• WBCarson

No, they react with anger-as they have been trained to do.
        Marxism is an ideology of social struggle and war. Changing the system with social disorder.
        They view us exactly as they speak about us and as they treat us-with contempt and pure hate.

• Contrarian

And we shouldn’t let the media refer to them as “Anarchists”. No authentic Anarchist would organize to demand more government. These are Marxists and all of America needs to see them as the threat they are.

• WBCarson

Or “antifa”
        We are not fascists but the media calling the Antifa gives them legitimacy as if they are battling fascists. As if WE are fascists they are fighting

• ImaHippyBurning

We will have to become so in order to put these little miscreants back in their holes!

• Farley

Whatever the name, label, brand, whatever.. it doesn’t matter what we call them or they call themselves. It’s the violent, intolerant, intimidating behavior exhibited by these thugs that’s all that matters…. the same tyranny history has seen before.

• Hermen

They are mentally ill with Trumpomania. He lives 24/7 in their heads ‘rent free’…. and boys and girls I’ve got news for you. HE’s NEVER GOING TO LEAVE YOU! It’s like atheists who think more about God as the result of their hatred and reaction than Christians do.

• Caitlin Wolford

Umm, there wasn’t actually any violence.

• Noovuss

Ummm, the lefties actually committed violence last time and have threatened to use violence again.

• Caitlin Wolford

Both sides committed violence last ti me and have threatened to use violence again. Meanwhile, only one side keeps getting caught by the FBI and Homeland Security trying to bomb or shoot up schools (hint, it’s your side, 7 times in the last year alone).

• Noovuss

I got another hint for you, stop the lies.

• Skid Mark

KEK

• FreedomFan

“UCPD has already arrested one individual at Sproul Plaza for failure to identify themselves (sic)”
    Grammar much? Did that person suffer from multiple-personality-disorder, perhaps?

• cc

maybe it was a multiple-gender-identity situation and it refused DNA testing to confirm the chromosomal fingerprint

• fourscoreandseven

FF: LOL! [ Just yesterday, I was reading the directions for a “yoga” type of exercise, and the FIRST line said, “place your right hands behind your back.” (I lost faith at that point and moved on.) ]

• FreedomFan

This ignorant phrasing is being used by EDITORS at the Berkeley newspaper. Sad.

• pixxa

Probably afraid to specify gender. Can’t be doing that, now, can we?