UC Berkeley implements new 2-degree program between College of Engineering and Haas School of Business

haas_mraphael_file-copy
Mikaela Raphael/File

UC Berkeley’s College of Engineering and Haas School of Business are offering a new two-degree program — the Management, Entrepreneurship and Technology, or MET, program — that will begin in fall 2017.

The MET program is offering a full bachelor of science degree in business from the Haas School of Business, as well as the option of a bachelor of science degree in either electrical engineering and computer sciences or industrial engineering and operations research from the College of Engineering.

According to Marjorie DeGraca, the program’s executive director and the assistant dean of the Haas School of Business, MET has an acceptance rate just under 3 percent, making it more selective than most Ivy League universities’ undergraduate programs. It is only available to students beginning their freshman year on campus this coming fall.

“(MET) is (a) very strenuous, very rigorous program and because of that we really had to enroll students that academically were at the top of the class,” DeGraca said. “These are students that may still choose to be a CTO or a CFO, but we believe they’re going to get … a more well-rounded education.”

Michael Grimes, head of Global Technology Investment Banking at Morgan Stanley and a UC Berkeley alumnus, is the founder of the campus’s MET program. Grimes worked to create a founding board for the program and then pitched the idea to Shankar Sastry, dean of the College of Engineering, and Richard Lyons, dean of the Haas School of Business.

Grimes credits the concept of the program to Dr. Bill Hamilton, the Ralph Landau Professorship of Management and Technology at the University of Pennsylvania. Hamilton started the Management and Technology Program in 1977 and launched the Jerome Fisher Program in Management and Technology at the University of Pennsylvania in 1978.

“(MET is) for people that are not neatly put into a box,” Grimes said. “(It’s) for people that uniquely see themselves in both the tech world and in leadership management.”

The program has received approximately 2,500 applications for the upcoming fall semester, but only between 30 and 40 students will be admitted to the inaugural class and about 50 will be admitted each succeeding year.

According to DeGraca, funding for the MET program is entirely external. Upwards of $10 million has already been raised in an endowment for the program, with contributions from a variety of individuals, including alumni of the two colleges involved and members of the tech community.

Meredith Mao, a senior at Mission San Jose High School, will be amongst the first students to enroll in the new program. Mao said she decided to attend UC Berkeley instead of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology because of the unique opportunities provided by the MET program.

“This program has so many options waiting for you,” Mao said. “This program was just so great in that it was really made for me.”

Contact Shayann Hendricks at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @shayannih.