Antifa aims to preserve safety of community through response

coloredited_xinyuli_antifa
Xinyu Li/File

We would like to preface this statement by saying we do not represent every group involved in anti-fascist demonstrations here in Berkeley, or in the Bay Area. While many of our comrades may share our beliefs and opinions, we are not a unified group and we do not intend to speak for anyone but ourselves.

With that out of the way: Hello, UC Berkeley! We are those anti-fascists you’ve heard so much about recently. Let us introduce ourselves. Some of us are your fellow UC Berkeley students, while others are Berkeley City College students, UC Berkeley alumni or members of the Berkeley community.

For security reasons, we don’t usually talk to the press. But the media coverage of our actions against the current wave of far-right mobilization in Berkeley has inspired us to express to the public why it is that we do what we do.

You may have never heard of Antifa until we marched onto Sproul Plaza on the night of Feb. 1. Our struggle is global and ongoing, with a history that stretches as far back as there have been fascists to resist.

The current visibility of militant anti-fascism is due to the Trump-era resurgence of open, violent white nationalism. They’re more than just 4chan trolls spouting racist rhetoric online. Last June, when the Traditionalist Workers Party and the Golden State Skinheads attempted to rally in Sacramento, they stabbed nine people in the ensuing confrontation with Antifa. Identity Evropa leader Nathan Damigo sucker-punched a woman on camera at the rally April 15.

Our opponents push the misconception that, by militantly confronting them, we are stifling their free speech. We may be a bunch of leftists and anarchists, but we’ve still read the Constitution.

The First Amendment protects you from government censorship. It does not allow you to impose on the 14th Amendment rights of others, prevent other people from using their freedoms of speech and assembly to hold you accountable for the things you say, or guarantee you a right to a paid speaking gig on a college campus.

Ultimately, the bloc’s actions against Milo Yiannopoulos were not in response to the things he says, but the things he does. Yiannopoulos has a history of targeted harassment of transgender, Muslim and undocumented students at his campus speeches. On the night of Feb. 1, he planned to use his platform to teach the crowd how to report undocumented students to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. It was also rumored he planned to out undocumented students.

This is not protected speech. You can’t yell “fire” in a crowded theater and you can’t out undocumented students on a sanctuary campus.

Despite all of this, the UC Berkeley administration chose to put their students in danger. We decided this was unacceptable. You may disagree with our actions, but if it protected even one student from being targeted, then we are not ashamed.

Bay Area Antifa did not have any militant action planned for Ann Coulter’s event. While her views are disgusting and deserve to be protested, nobody wants to get attacked with a nightstick or go to jail over Ann Coulter. If any action had been taken, it would have been because of the extremists in attendance and looking for a fight at her speech.

But these speakers know now to expect resistance. We didn’t have to shut Coulter down she canceled once her financial backers and the administration recognized that her presence was unsafe and unprofitable.

You may have wondered where the masses of people in masks were April 27. We shut them down March 4 and April 15 because they wanted to prove they could rally in Berkeley. On April 27, they came from far and wide to fight Antifa. Instead of giving them what they wanted, we let them stand around in the park in their Spartan helmets, pretending to enjoy their open mic and getting sunburned.

Our ideology is not tethered to masculinity and strength we don’t ever have to fight on their terms. We are also aware (because again, we live here) that on a Thursday afternoon, high schoolers and middle schoolers were in class in the area where the fascists wanted to hold their street fight.

You’re probably sick of feeling like Berkeley is a warzone. We are, too. We’re tired of seeing Identity Evropa propaganda on campus and up and down the streets we grew up on. We’re tired of hearing about kids at Albany High using Nazi salutes in the hallways.

And we’re tired of fighting a second front against public apathy and misinformation.

We are anti-fascists. We are not paramilitary, outside agitators, or punks looking for a fight. We are members of this community who are invested in its safety.

We understand that not everyone can join us in this fight. All we ask is that you understand why we take to the streets.

The authors requested anonymity because of safety concerns.

Contact the opinion desk at [email protected] or follow us on Twitter @dailycalopinion.

• C Bierbauer78

TY

• Matthew Gerring

It’s cool how all these commenters want to let literal nazis run the streets in Berkeley.

• Naw. Well if you mean oppose vigilante violence then yes. If you mean approve of the Nazi beliefs at a personal level, no.

• ESG

Vigilante justice is necessary when the government and police side with facism.

Isn’t that what all your constitutional rights are for anyways? To be able to revolt against the government if it violates your rights?

• Jorge Carolinos

You mean like mayor Dough Boy McCheese being pals with a political cult like BAMN?

http://archive.is/dWKfR

ANTIFA want to infringe on people’s rights.

• lspanker

The mayor’s REAL name is Pedro “El Hombre Familial” Griffin.

• You want to do that, fight the cops, the military, the politicians etc. Don’t pretend for a second attacking these dongles in street brawls is taking on the system.

• lspanker

ESG likes to play Junior Revolutionary, up to the point when the other side starts fighting back…

• Killer Marmot

Can you give an example of “literal Nazis” running the streets in Berkeley? This is a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

• Jorge Carolinos

You think literal NAZI’s are going to take over the city of Berkeley and stand around on the streets goose stepping and whatnot for years to come if man children ANTIFA don’t start riots with them?

It’s not cool how you want America to descend into some war zone of left and right violence done by two sets of idiots with the same thinking pathology.

• Prahd Beoey

Straw man much?

• lspanker

Are you a real idiot, or do you just play one online?

• John

I guess all of those comments have been removed by moderators. All the comments I see are opposed to letting the antifa scumbags run the streets in Berkeley

• is calling out those who break the laws something that is forbidden?
    Lets be clear. illegal immigrants have violated and are currently in
    violation of federal immigration law. And Milo is not calling for
    violence or lynch mobs, he is simply arguing that the federal government
    should enforce its own laws. How is this any different than a
    journalist who “outs” criminals or corrupt politicians?

• Nunya Beeswax

“This is not protected speech.”

Wrong, guys. It is protected speech.

I will repeat to you the same thing I have said to other youngsters with a defective understanding of what the Constitution actually says : if you don’t like the First Amendment, then piss off to a country that doesn’t have it, and good luck and God bless. If you want to stick around the US, fine–demonstrate some respect for the rule of law and stop lying about what the law permits and doesn’t permit.

Using fascist tactics to wipe out fascism won’t work. You cannot erase a wrong by committing another wrong, and however noble your goals might be, if your means are underhanded or wicked then they taint those goals. Get a real morality.

• Alisha Rose Glenn

Oh lovely, the comments are full of fascist apologists. -_-

• would you like to take the time to defend the use of violence to suppress dissenting opinions? would you like to defend the use of firebombs and molotov cocktails to run milo out of town for daring to give a speech on campus?

• Nope. Racists and Nazis are awful human beings. That doesnt justify the violence these people are committing. Saying one side is wrong doesn’t mean the other side is right. Both groups are the problem.

• Killer Marmot

Denouncing left-wing fascism is not apologizing for right-wing fascism.

Quite the opposite.

• Prahd Beoey

That’s right babe! EVERYONE that objects to leftist thuggery is a fascist apologist!

• ESPM360

Antifa is ISIS JV team. Both Antifa and ISIS wear black, hide behind women, and hate America.

• lspanker

Antifa is more Little League or Pop Warner Football, but we get your point…

• Shun Kenmur

“You may disagree with our actions, but if it protected even one student from being targeted, then we are not ashamed.” (referring to the Feb. 1st Milo/Antifa Riot)

So you have no shame pepper spraying a young woman in the face during an interview and attacking an unconscious man in the middle of the street with poles so as long as it protected any students that are undocumented?

Very very telling.

• if you initiate violence you lose any credibility. You are as bad as they are.

Also you do realize that “fire in a crowded theater” was a defense of imprisoning anti-war leafleters.

And you cant claim someone was sucker punched when they’re using a bottle as a club

• Malcolm Scott

Bolsheviks, Brownshirts, etc. By any other name…..Collectivists, Anarchists and future Totalitarians.
    They had to label everyone they dislike “fascists” in order to justify their violence as required as a tool of the new vanguard.

Can we start using the word Communist? Or do we have to keep pretending otherwise while Hammers and Sickles, Clenched Fist icons, and the words “Resist” and “Fight” appear everywhere?

• unbearable

“We may be a bunch of leftists and anarchists, but we’ve still read the Constitution.” Where in the Constitution does it say you can trash private property, you morons? Your article screams of hypocrisy. You say you may be anarchists, are you, or are you not? But is that Democratic or liberal? Just FYI, every time you leftist thugs cry and protest when conservatives want to exercise their freedom of speech, you’re just making yourselves look like idiots, and, hello, you create sympathy for the right. BTW, thanks for trashing your University you @$$holes!

• Sam Spade

To Mark Neil and the community at large
    I have never been invited to any such discussion
    I do not claim to speak for or make decisions for Anti-Fa
    I am a member of the community at large who holds the respect of some members of Anti-FA
    I have a history that goes back 40 years and yes there are people on the left who disagree with me but all hold at least some respect for my dedication to what is fair and just
    I can only request from Anti-Fa that they assume a certain role. Based on my relations with them and the respect I have earned I’m confident my request will be granted.
    Can you say the same thing about your side.
    Trust me you don’t want to compare political resume with me

• freedumb2003

sam spade: on the internet, no one knows you are a dog.

As for your support of these anti-American fascists, that is all we need to know about you. If you agree with them then you, too, hate free speech and believe in violence as the way to stop speech you do not agree with. IOW standard issue liberal.

40 years? HAH! You post like a 13-yo.

• Sam Spade

your name says it all you can hide behind a screen but dont dare come out and debate me. Oh that’s right you are part of the master race and think you can threaten this community without repercussion. You and your ilk keep talking about free speech. Well here is your chance debate me if you dare. But first you have to have to figure out how to wear shoes

• Prahd Beoey

Figure out how to wear shoes! Haha nailed him!

• Prahd Beoey

Wow Sammy, you sound important!

• lspanker

He’s a legend in his own mind…

• Why do these Democrat Blackshirts hide behind their girlfriends when they swing at you?

• FreedomFan

Evil doesn’t always hide behind black masks. Sometimes you can see it staring right at you as in this article.

• TheRealMidnite

You go, antifa! Never stop fighting them, no matter how much damnation you receive from the appeasers and the quislings!

¡No pasarán!

• FreedomFan

I agree. We need more fires and mayhem from leftists!!
      Trump needs re-election.

• TheRealMidnite

Follow your leader.

• Samouil Tzondov

Sounds like a bunch of cowards.

• Micheal Rampley

Just another bunch of thugs. They are just the other side of the same coin…

• Internet Opinions

“You can’t yell “fire” in a crowded theater”

A left-wing anarchist citing “fire in the crowded theater”? This is absolutely hilarious. You do realize that phrase was spoken to justify putting anti-war socialists in prison for the horrific hate crimes, right? Those hate crimes consisting of nothing more than criticizing the United States entering World War 1, I know, absolutely intolerable. Somebody should have punched them, I guess.

By the way, here are some dangerous radical thoughts:

Breaking other people’s stuff is generally considered a bad thing to do.

Assaulting people with horrific views, absent of imminent threat, it unjustified.

Cracking down on hate speech is the rationale that has been used by the UC system to discourage criticism of Israel’s treatment of Palestinians

You’re not a freedom fighter, you’re an whiny violent child wearing a black hoodie.

• Mr. Scratch

The ruling where the statement about yelling fire in a crowded theater being prohibited (U.S. v. Schenck) has also been overturned for going on 50 years (Brandenburg v. Ohio). That whole line of legal theory is long dead, but they keep resurrecting it to justify themselves.

• adolescentghost

Look at all these Supreme Court legal scholars on this comment section. Thank you for your great wisdom, commentary, and insight on such a wide topic. Thanks for not twisting the facts to fit your narrative, and for covering all the bases. Thanks for not leaving out inconvenient parts of the decision you refer to that might not quite support your entire thesis. That would be unethical and misleading, and there are a lot of people who look up to you for your scholarly insight on this comment board. I thank you and your great efforts.

• Pat Neff

It is time for more Riot police. Only a Far Left group like ANTIFA could try and claim they are anti-fascist while using the same Truly Fascist Brownshirt Techniques to try and (dis)Prove their point. You talk about the woman being “sucker punched” yet omit that she was putting M-80’s in wine bottles to be used as a glass grenade and then throwing them into the crowd of “opponents”. Communism and Socialism do not work (unless you become a dictator under them). You have been taught far left lies in the education (indoctrination) system for decades, and your need for safe spaces will mean your expensive degree in Womens studies will result in being unemployable and never being able to pay those student loans back.

• Marg

If if you have evidence supporting this accusation, (about the M-80 in a wine bottle) please report it to the BPD. They are looking for community cooperation in holding violent activists accountable.

• Top-Hook

The BPD is utterly useless. Beyond pathetic. Look up the case of Eric Clanton if you want absolute proof of that.

• John

I’ve tried looking this up. I know about the work pol did. What’s the status ? Had he been arrested?

• Top-Hook

Not as of yet.

• Pat Neff

I was not there. and I am pretty sure any Effing Idiots supporting that so called rally is not handing that info to the PD. the only time these idiots get called on the carpet is when they are caught on video, and even then, 1/2 the time they walk away scott free.

• Rebellious white boy

Bunch of LOSERS, you have no idea how Fascist your claim of being Anti Fascist really is.

• Brian4000

If you are not paramilitary, stop wearing masks and attacking people who disagree with you. Stop intimidating people for saying words. You don’t realize it, but you are doing more to strengthen Trump and to radicalize the population than you are doing to reduce actual fascism.

• Brian4000

I am sorry, I am a liberal, but this is a violent organization that has done more damage to leftist causes and to the first amendment than I can recall in a long time. Once you’ve justified political violence over speech, you’ve lost.

• Nunya Beeswax

Right there with you, Brian4000.

• Thank you. It’s not the opinions/position its the violence.

• Exactly. As much as you could call them an “organization” they’re nothing but garbage.

• lspanker

Oh, they’re an “organization” alright, along the lines of the ones who used to wear dark colored shirts, short little ties, pant legs tucked into their boots, and march around like they had sticks up their @sses.

• The violence has to stop, and it is coming from the right wing as much as, or more than, from the antifa. It was right wingers who decided to bring furthest right speakers to one of the furthest left cities in the nation. That might be stupid and pointless, but it would be ok if some of them did not also bring and use weapons. Some of them came wearing bullet proof vests too.

• Brian4000

MissNDemocracy, I share your concern about right wing violence and ultimately that is what I am hoping we can avert here. Because as concerned as Antifa has me, I think a violent right wing or white nationalist movement is a more plausible threat. However my point is this kind of violence only makes it easier for them to recruit. It is no coincidence that in the wake of these events, you suddenly have guys like Spencer all over youtube and people parroting him on social media. And I agree a lot of people on the right went to this event either prepared for or hoping for violence (I do think there is a crucial distinction between those two things though). But if that is the case, why give them the violence since it only feeds the movement? And why not let them have their event? Yes they did come to the most liberal part of the country. But they do have a right to do so. If antifa didn’t show up, instead of people talking about how crazy the left has become, the focus would be on how bad these peoples’ ideas are.

• Wishful thinking, unrealistic that ” If antifa didn’t show up, instead of people talking about how crazy the
          left has become, the focus would be on how bad these peoples’ ideas
          are.” because the left has NOT become crazy. It’s the far right-wingers who are provoking violence. Antifa stayed away from one of the hate speech rallies, but the focus, unfortunately, was not on how bad the right wingers’ ideas are.

• sundaze

Are you kidding. The violent, shady activities of antifa (globally) are well documented. Why are they masked (it is illegal)? Every one of Donald Trump’s rallies were assailed by agitators, people there just to derail the rally, talk. Did you see so called (thanks mainstream press) “right wingers” trying to end any Hillary Rallies?
        The “furthest” left needs to hear conservative voices (yes miss “Democracy”, conservative –look it up) or they are merely in an echo chamber, able to demonize those “others” as “Nazis”, “white supremacists” sans any challenge, further indoctrination for young gullible minds.
        Recall you live in America, with a wide range of people, views and a constitution that allows you to speak freely.

• of course, all people have the right to speak their minds. it is the violence that has to stop.

• Killer Marmot

Here for Berkeley’s protection. As in “Nice little campus youse got here. Pity if sumtin were ta happen to it.”

• Oscar Garswood

Antifa are violent communist revolutionaries.

• they’re modern day brown shirts. they just switched the color to black.

• John46893

Americans together should unite! Help us petition the government to have this organization declared what they really are. Terrorists.

https://www.change.org/p/president-of-the-united-states-declare-antifa-a-terrorist-organization

• angdonlon

Just shared with our Berkeley groups…

• roccolore

Fascist Democrat cowards are so bold to riot and loot, yet are afraid to tell us who they really are.

• ESG

Antifa are neither Fascist nor Democrats, lmao

• roccolore

“Anti-fa” are fascists who hate free speech. They also never protest against Democrats either.

• ESG

What? That’s bullshit. Any antifa / communist member is vehemently against Obama and the Clintons, and the actions they’ve done in the middle-east and their neoliberal policies.

• lspanker

Once again: ANTIFA ARE FASCISTS WHO HATE FREE SPEECH. They are nothing but a bunch of ignorant, hysterical, impulsive and violent fools who categorize anything they don’t like as “fascism” as an excuse to inflict violence on others.

• Free Speech

Antifa terrorists, you have blood on your hands after the Antifa slasher killed that young man for being white at UT. You are scum, everyone hates you. Rot in jail.
    Google search: Antifa BAMN NAMBLA (yes that nambla), they aren’t just domestic terrorists…

• Adolph Sheckleberg

Well based upon the comments, I’d say this effort to validate/vindicate the Communist thugs of Antifa went well – don’t you?
    lol

• angdonlon

My favorite response so far…still reading though

• Adolph Sheckleberg

The actions of Antifa and Workers Party organizations is steadily galvanizing and seeding the right, nationalist Whites into a majority political class. And we thank you for this.

• Adolph Sheckleberg

Pepper spraying women, attacking geriatric US veterans, rioting and destroying property are certainly all actions I would consider peaceful.

• disqus_9NHum6ajxy

A very defining characteristic of facism is FORCIBLE OPPRESSION of opposing views. You, Antifa, display very defining characteristics of a facist group. Sure, you don’t define as right-wing but facism isn’t necessarily only a right-wing government political ideology. Your actions speak for themselves and it’s quite sad how you attempt to justify them.

Your actions, alongside Trump supporters, who are also using physical violence and militant action to express political ideology, is endangering the building blocks of democracy-civil society and discourse without the fear of militant oppression.

Think about this way- in the years to come, future citizens will see your actions and the actions of those you deem as dangerous and see two groups almost identical to one another. You are nothing different than the right-wing radicals you so despise.

• Along Came A Rat

At the Sacramento event, Antifa/BAMN member Yvette Felarca is captured on camera attacking a white nationalist and unlawfully restraining him while her followers attack and try to break the guy’s kneecaps. At the Milo event, Antifa attacked and hospitalized people, including one guy they beat with a shovel and kicked while he was lying unconscious in the street. Antifa are the instigators, and yet this article’s author insists on portraying them as victims. You are part of a cult, and no matter how righteous you think your cause is, if you are initiating violence, you are the bad guys.

• C Bierbauer78

Liddle gurl terrorizes big burly white wing wacko with mommy issues.

• lspanker

You’re only second to Mike Lee AKA Sam Spade when it comes to issues here.

• three fingers

The media never hesitates to print manifest lies when they come from the left. “Anti-fa” cannot exist without lies. Only the alt-right is willing to tell the truth about race in America.

• Sam Spade

Bring it. There is a challenge out there to a public debate. You don’t dare accept becuase your full of hot air

• Daniel Hampton

The problem is that Antifa actually has no interest in debating. I failed to find one who was able to have a coherent conversation. I tried March 4 and April 15, only to be met with violence and threats of violence. I was physically attacked without provocation, and it’s on video. All the while I was trying to have a conversation with those terrorists in masks.

Their one and only goal is the suppression of their political opposition through domestic terrorism.

• ScottA

The is no need for debate. We have laws, and those that break them, and those aid and abet them need to be put in prison. There is no such thing as an Illegal Immigrant. They are Illegal Aliens. You must have Immigration Paper to be an Immigrant/ .

• lspanker

This from the clown who lost his bid for mayor because even the worst of the goo-goo SJW liberals realized he functions at the level of a 3-year-old.

• Al Ricci

It’s not your freaking job to try to stop people, even if they have the most extreme views. If any idiot thought he should form a group and start a movement to stop people from speaking, then there was no need for laws and government. You all live in a fantasy.

• is calling out those who break the laws something that is forbidden? Lets be clear. illegal immigrants have violated and are currently in violation of federal immigration law. And Milo is not calling for violence or lynch mobs, he is simply arguing that the federal government should enforce its own laws. How is this any different than a journalist who “outs” criminals or corrupt politicians?

• JP

Let’s be clear. Runaway slaves violated federal and state laws. How is capturing them and returning them to their masters any different than a journalist who “outs” criminals or corrupt politicians?

• No one is calling for illegal immigrants to be enslaved like runaway slaves. The law merely calls for them to return home.

• Michael Ejercito

Illegal immigrants are akin to deserters.

• deserters get imprisoned in accordance with the military code of uniformed justice. illegal immigrants only have to go home. Furthermore, explain how illegally entering a foreign country is a crime of conscience?

• ESG

It’s not like forcibly deporting people away from family, friends, jobs, education, etc. ruins lives or anything. “Go home”? God, imagine being this apathetic about human lives.

• If I went to japan and overstayed my visa, they would be within their rights to deport me too. what makes these people think they have the right to disregard the laws of a foreign nation and then claim that they have a right to be here? No one forced these people to come to the US and spit on our laws. Besides the immigration laws in the United States are already quite lax. In Mexico, illegal immigration is a felony category crime for which the punishment is prison then deportation. We ask nothing more than a basic respect for fundamental laws. Perhaps we should adopt mexico’s much harsher stance on illegal immigration from other central american countries.

• ESG

No borders, no government. Are you all libertarians or not?

• even to libertarians, the central government has the obligation to maintain the common defense, to secure the border, to protect against foreign threats.

• ESG

https://www.lp.org/issues/immigration/

“A truly free market requires the free movement of people, not just products and ideas.”

“Libertarians do not support classifying undocumented immigrants as criminals. Our current immigration system is an embarrassment. People who would like to follow the legal procedures are unable to because these procedures are so complex and expensive and lengthy. If Americans want immigrants to enter through legal channels, we need to make those channels fair, reasonable, and accessible.”

When you don’t even understand your own belief system…

• I never claimed to be a libertarian. I am a voting american citizen.

• lspanker

Funny how you avoided Ceasar’s points…

• ESG

His points are empirically and logically invalid, but I’m not gonna waste my time explaining because it’s clear that none of you are going to listen. This is why “engaging in civil conversation” does not work.

• lspanker

His points are empirically and logically invalid

You don’t get to make that decision. Come on, present your best argument and let’s see if you can actually fend for yourself in the marketplace of ideas.

• ESG

Because the majority idea is always the correct one, right? None of the arguments being made adhere to even the most basic levels of academic rigor. “It’s the law” is not a reason for anything and does not motivate any sort of ethics.

• lspanker

Because the majority idea is always the correct one, right?

Did I say that, or is that merely another example of your selective reading comprehension again?

• ESG

The “marketplace of ideas” is akin to saying that the majority view is the best one.

• John

You are wrong, but to narrow minded to see it. Then you throw a fit like a child, declare civil discussion pointless. You are a threat to human decency. It’s not to late to reexamine your beliefs.

• Joe Marxen

It’s same right your ancestors felt entitled too. The only difference is that these immigrants are fleeing countries that our country destroys.

• lspanker

Sorry, but Mexico has done a fine job of destroying its own ability to be a peaceful, prosperous nation without our help. Try another dodge, that one won’t work here.

• NAFTA did it

• And who exactly forced Mexico to join NAFTA at gunpoint?

• SecludedCompoundTTYS

so your country mass murdered the native americans too?

• and my ancestors came to this country legally, follow the laws, and respect this country. No foreign national has a right to demand unfettered access to another country. Cite a legal precedent granting the right of immigration to any foreigner who demands it?

• Jack Sampson

It is called the “Law of unintended consequences.” Life is not fair and no amount of government intervention will change that.

If you are such a humane person, adopt a family in Venezuela and send them half of your gross income, every month. Put up or shut up.

• ESG

“Life isn’t fair” says the person who benefits from making life unfair.

If no government intervention will change life being unfair, then stop supporting intervention. Let me remind you that YOU’RE the one supporting a large and powerful central government- not me.

Personal charity isn’t a substitute for having just laws, wtf are you even trying to say?

• ESG

“Put up or shut up” Because America was founded by people putting up and shutting up, right?

• Michael Ejercito

it is no more a crime of conscience than desertion.

• is a crime of opportunism. they come here to make money

• it is us corporatist policies (nafta, cafta, etc) that helped create starvation conditions that drove people to risk their lives getting across the border into the usa. in many cases it is a question of basic survival.

• they are undocumented, not “illegal”, and this IS their home. this is the only country many of them remember. unless you are Native American, your forebears were immigrants too

• sigh, do we have to go over the whole breaking federal immigration law = illegal alien thing again? what part of the law is unclear?

• Daniel Hampton

Let’s be clear: while escaping actual slavery is totally justifiable, you’re using it to say that any crime is justifiable if it’s for the right reasons. It leads to some pretty ludicrous conclusions, and is probably a similar logic Antifa uses to justify violently attacking peaceful demonstrators.

• ScottA

These guys are complete idiots. Illegal Aliens are not slaves, but people invading our country illegally. There is an immigration process, and if Antifa is so righteous, then sponsor people from other countries for an Immigration Visa. Otherwise, you are aiding and abetting Felons,

• Johnny Fascist

So you equate being an illegal alien with being a slave? Sort yourself out.

• SecludedCompoundTTYS

Let’s be clear. Comparing Runaway slaves circa 1840 to illegal immigrants in 2017 is the most asinine comparison I’ve heard in a long time, and It shows a complete lack of logic.
        1. Mexico is not there “master” and is a country where they are born. Corrupt, yes, but still there home where they can live their lives as they please.
        2. It can be taken as offensive to the escaped slaves to make a comparison to people who had consciously broken the law.
        3. Remember the days when even Democrats believed that it was wrong to hire an illegal alien because it was condoning the illegality? Now not only is that cool, but it’s considered honorable and courageous to help them break the law? The equivalent of rescuing escaped slaves?

Insane…

• Kevin Caravaggio

You are hateful scum of the earth and should be eradicated.

• ThirteenthLetter

Delete your newspaper.

• Eric The M̶i̶d̶g̶e̶t̶ Actor

I saw a video where one of the Antifa lost his mask and almost immediately was misidentified by his comrades as a Trump supporter so they pepper sprayed him and hit him in the face with a skateboard.

These people have no morals, they think they’re “left-wing guerillas” like Castro and Che Guevara.

• so who exactly are the ones suppressing dissenting opinions through violence? certainly not ann coulter and milo

• C Bierbauer78

Smile fast before your face freezes with your tongue in your cheek!

• lspanker

As usual, you have nothing to offer but the usual blather. Your inability actually engage in an intelligent discussion is quite obvious by now.

• Sam Spade

Uh excuse me. Obviously somebody else who can’t read and dint get past the fourth grade. Come on down debate me if you dare

• Mike Danger

Somebody “dint” get past fourth grade? I guess that would be you. (FYI: it’s didn’t)

Here is the historical antecedent to the Antifa: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmabteilung

• Sam Spade

I have no need for the history lesson since I’m one of the people who created it. did you learn how to wear shoes yet? If so put them on and bring yourself down here and debate me but leave your baseball bat at home. Come on Proud Boys where are you at. Come on what are you scared of after all you are superior to me part of the master race you can’t be frightened of some old funny looking Chinese guy

• if you were one of the people who created antifa, you should have no illusions about what antifa really is. Can you honestly look on at your black hood wearing comrades throwing molotov cocktails and beating dissenters with baseball bats and say that they are doing the good work of protecting so called threatened minorities from a woman like ann coulter?

• Sam Spade

I didn’t create anti fa the community did in response to attacks

• roccolore

“Anti-fa” like you are fascists.

• lspanker

What “attacks”? You clearly are on the wrong meds…

• lspanker

I have no need for the history lesson since I’m one of the people who created it.

You have a rather inflated impression of your own importance in the greater scheme of things. You’re a bum and nothing more…

• Mike Danger

You wouldn’t need black masks and violence if your message had the quality of persuasion. Debate? Why would you block Milo from speaking unless you were “afraid” of the debate? Why would you block Ann Coulter unless you were likewise “afraid”.

Nazi’s are jack-booted thugs. Antifa are jack-booted thugs ergo Antifa are Nazi’s…

• lspanker

You wouldn’t need black masks and violence if your message had the quality of persuasion.

Of course not – these Antifa fools FEAR open discussion because they have no intelligent argument of their own to offer.

• they merely swapped brown shirts for black

• Jack Sampson

“Come on Proud Boys where are you at. ”
            Another gross grammatical error demonstrating a lack of literacy. You never end a sentence with a preposition.

“It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth (or keyboard, in your case) and remove all doubt.”
            May I suggest these are words for you to live by, again?

• Nunya Beeswax

You can end a sentence with a preposition. There’s no good reason not to.

The problem with Sam’s utterance is not that the last word is a preposition, it’s that the last word is redundant. Remove “at” and the sense is unchanged.

• Prahd Beoey

Sammy baby, you are actually in a debate NOW, and not winning. You want someone to “come on down” so leftist authoritarian thugs can assault them, yes?

• ScottA

Don’t waste you time, Bro. He isn’t smart enough to realize that he is just like one of Hitler’s Brown Shirts. If he indeed makes history, it will be because today’s Brown Shirts will most likely suffer the same fate as before.

• Patriot123579

I find it amusing that you accused somebody of not moving beyond the 4th grade, and did so with a rambling response that has at least five separate spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors.

Way to go. BTW, if you want to debate this, I’m your huckleberry.

• Dan Robinson

Hi Sam(??),

I’m with a progressive group that is pro-free speech and anti-violence. I don’t know about “debate” but we would like to dialog with the folks who have been involved in these brawls.

• Sam Spade

here i am! You may know who i am from last years campaign and BPOD
          Ue me as a moderator between different elements.
          You can find me on facebook under sam spade
          Yes dialog is important. I do not claim to speak for Anti-Fa or BAMN but i do hold their respect

• Dan Robinson, Please come to the Grassroots House on Blake between Shattuck & Miliva this Sat. May 13 at 10 am for a 1 hr planning meeting w/ like-minded folks.

• ESPM360

Thanks for the tip. We will be there with cameras and drones. See you then.

• Jack Sampson

For the “pot calling the kettle black” file: the word you meant to spell is “didn’t.”
        May I suggest these are words for you to live by?

• Khalil Kittredge

Wow, a poorly written, uninspired op-ed with misrepresented half-truths, cocky attitudes, and outright lies, exactly what the real populace of Berkeley has come to expect from Antifa. Antifa is kidding themselves with this Red Dawn, Invasion of the Body Snatchers dystopian future they think they’re preparing for, when really they’re just posing on Facebook holding cap guns and getting laughed at by the entire world who can see they are employing the exact same speech suppressive violent tactics the alt-right is using, only less frightening. Antifa is a bunch of losers and nobodies who think they want to save the world but aren’t smart enough to pick up a book and try and make a real change. It’s pathetic and it’s ruining the reputation of our city which for decades was a paragon of freedom, intellectualism, and genuine compassion for our fellow man. It’s so disheartening. Antifa: stop trying to “help” us, we don’t want you here.

• Malcolm Scott

Right on, my friend.

• Sam Spade

Think so then come debate me and let the community decide

• Malcolm Scott

I though that’s what these chat boards are for…..
          Go ahead, make your case.

• you and your thugs would turn up with baseball bats and molotov cocktails. You think everyone doesnt see you for who you are?

• lspanker

You had your chance for “debate” when you ran for mayor, and I seem to recall that you lost, because nobody in their right mind could take you seriously by the drivel you spout on a regular basis. Face it, Mike – you have nothing of substance to contribute to the discussion. You merely need constant attention…

• Sam Spade

To Bay area anti fa
    Your courage and determination to defend the community is inspiring.
    Thank you for coming to my aid when I got jumped by three of the alt right
    Your tactics must be focused and sharpened. The enemy is well financed and armed. Now is the time to intiate better tactics and communication.
    To your critics I say this. Overcome your fear surround those who come here not to speak but to fight. Show them with numbers we are not only a unified community but also one of sanctuary. One in which they are not welcome.
    Let the spirit of John Brown burn deep within our hearts. Out of your houses and into the streets

• Good to know you support the use of violence to squash dissenting speech.

• Sam Spade

This is not about free speech. But let me say we agreee to disagree.
        Here is my answer. To all you “free speech” people. I hereby challenge your designated to a public debate on this issue on UC Campus. You name the date and time. Anti Fa presence will be to protect me and others from your violent members. You are prohibited from coming armed and we will adhere to the same.
        You think you’re right we think were right. Lets debate and let the community decide.
        Ignoring this challenge will only prove that this is not about free speech but about y’all trying to find an identity blaming other people for your dysfunctional life

• Mark Neil

roflmao…YOU SHUT DOWN THOSE DISCUSSIONS. You’re routinely invited to discuss the topics, and routinely rejected such discussion, asserting the subject doesn’t even deserve debate. But now, that you are being creamed in the public opinion front, suddenly you want to talk about it? Well, maybe Ann Coulter will be interested in revisting Berkely to engage in that discussion… or maybe your violence worked to silence and intimidate her.

But I’ve got to ask… who are you to antifa? Will they abide by your rules? Do you speak for them? Or are you just some nobody trying to sound reasonable now that the damage is done?

• Prahd Beoey

He won’t debate it HERE though, in a digital forum MADE for public discussion. Sammy must be a real master debater!

• im confused, you support the efforts of antifa to use violence to run milo out of town and then you claim this isnt a free speech issue?

• freedumb2003

sam spade is a confused and rather stupid person.

Fun to read but only b/c we can all tell it is a little baby who needs his womenfolk to protect him from that mean old freedom.

Mostly harmless.

• testudo

So we should walk right into a trap, defenseless, in order to be attacked by people who explicitly support violence?

How can we debate you when you have already said that you will assault us?

• roccolore

Fascist Democrats like you are cowards and terrorists.

• Pat Neff

Yea, because escalating the violence is really not going to go well for ANTIFA. they are nothing but masked, violent thugs who with every “protest” are being met with more and more opposing force. This country was almost at a civil war level before the election thanks to all the division caused by Obama. What ANTIFA is doing is causing those on the right and center to stand up and take action. (worldwide, not just in your bubble of Berkeley). you better pray ANTIFA stands down before they poke that bear further.

• ESG

Glad to see someone in this comment section that isn’t a fascist sympathizer or apathetic liberal – thanks for this.

• Bob Lindamood

“Read the Constitution”? Which one then, the living or the one our founding fathers drafted.

• The “shouting fire in a crowded theater” thing, it’s ignorant to the point of being offensive.

People seem to take it literally, as if the case were some guy who started a stampede at a theater by yelling “Fire!” and then hid behind the first amendment when brought before a judge. It was actually a bad metaphor made by a Supreme Court Justice in his ruling against a socialist passing out draft resistance fliers in a union hall.

• I can’t imagine how women feel about their dual role in antifa: asked to fight as comrades, then to cry like a child when struck. I’d feel like a fraud. I’d feel like the “comrades” swinging at our opponents from behind my protection didn’t actually have my back at all.

• Brian Brady

“You can’t yell “Fire” in a crowded theater”

Sure you can and you should, when the theater is on fire. This statement alone shows the puerile understanding of freedom of expression by the anonymous authors of this Op-Ed. You rioted because a speaker was coming to your campus because you had a political disagreement with them.

Do you know who did that? Fascists.

You have become that which you feign to protest. You, dear children, are the ones yelling fire where there is no spark

• JP

The blackshirts take to the streets because their political message has been rejected.

• they have found that their molotov cocktails make a bigger impression than their half baked whinings

• Brendan Hanley

“Our opponents push the misconception that, by militantly confronting them, we are stifling their free speech.”

I mean, what’s free speech without a little reactionary violence now and then, eh?

“We may be a bunch of leftists and anarchists, but we’ve still read the Constitution.”

Yes, we all know how well leftists love obeying old documents, and how anarchists love obeying anything at all. It’s good to know the black-clad violent anarcho-syndicalists have at least read the document they intend to thwart.

• next they’ll claim that political assassinations don’t constitute stifling free speech

• Joshua Peterson

Antifa seems to have a loose definition of fascism, seeing as how it includes libertarians. Also, I’m not sure how any of this justifies their throwing explosives (M-80s) into a crowd of people–Tim Pool documented this in his livestream of the April 15 rally.

• Storm Weiner

M80s are federally banned and very dangerous. Nobody at the protest set off any M80s. That just a lie. Firecrackers have 50mg of powder compared to 3000mg in am M80s. It’s a world of difference.

• G4Real

I was there April 15th. Those were definitely more than just firecrackers…

• Storm Weiner

I won’t argue that point because I wasn’t there. But if they were M80s, there would be craters in the pavement and people with a lot more than tinnitus. There are versions of firecrackers made to have an extra loud report without being particularly destructive. Do you think that is plausible?

• Along Came A Rat

Do you think it’s plausible that they bought illegal fireworks that were brought in from across the border? I mean, Berkeley’s just a hop, skip and a jump away from the border.

• Adolph Sheckleberg

Bullshit. M80s don’t create “craters in the pavement” They can and do blow fingers off of hands, eyes out of heads etc. though.

• Jason Carter

No, there would not be craters in the pavement. M1000’s don’t even leave craters in pavement sweetheart. Stop making excuses for them.

• Brian4000

That isn’t how M80s work. They don’t leave craters in the pavement (but they can cause you to lose fingers).

• Sam Spade

LOL good point these people have no clue about what an M80 can do. I’ve been on numerous picket lines where they were used against scabs and trust me that tactic was stopped because the amount of collateral damage that was done

• Johnny Fascist

Many of those explosions were more than M80s, they were stun grenades. They are clearly visible in flying through the air in videos of the event.

• G4Real

I think you may mean M-1000’s, which are essentially 1/4 sticks of dynamite. M-80’s are hella loud, but I don’t think they would create holes in concrete. People are saying Antifa uses “flash-bang grenades”, and I’m not sure where that lies in the firecracker spectrum…

• tech33

Youtube video shows what look to be military style stun grenades being tossed. Not even M8os, as if that wasn’t wrong to begin with. What a bunch of loser thugs. This op-ed wants to make me puke. Nobody should give the time of day to domestic terrorists let alone newsprint.

• lspanker

Why does your side even need to set off ANY firecrackers in the first place? Or is this par for the course for those who are incapable of engaging in intelligent discussion?

• Storm Weiner

I wasn’t there, and as far as I’m aware I don’t know anyone who was. So I can’t say.

• lspanker

But there were fireworks thrown by the Antifa crowd. Do you deny that?

• John

You think antifa follow the law?!?! The bombs they threw were potent.

• sven holmes

They’re not Fascist, they’re communist.

Please call them what they are, to not do so ignores the millions who have died at the hands of this incredibly bloody ideology.

• Jason Carter

Antifa are fascists by definition.

• sven holmes

>anti-fa claims to be opporessed
    >gets an apologetic platform in a newspaper to cry their crocodile tears

hmmmm makes u really think

• Jesse Baker

Berkeley antifas have their hooks into the city government and most likely would be able to get away with murder, given how the corrupt shiftless mayor is in bed with these monsters….

• Ian

Where in the article does anyone claim to be “opporessed”?

• ESG

You seem pretty upset by freedom of speech in the media. Really makes you think…

• roccolore

Liberals like you hate free speech. That’s why you support rioting, looting, and violence to prevent critics from speaking. Fascist Democrats like you have no problem with Jew-haters, Communists, Blame America Firsters, pro-Islamists, cop-haters, black supremacists, and Mexican supremacists speaking. You don’t see conservatives rioting over a speaker the COllege Democrats invited.

• ESG

I literally didn’t say anything about myself lmao. You’re making a bunch of assumptions. All I said is that y’all are being hypocritical with your free speech bullshit.

“You don’t see conservatives rioting over a speaker the College Democrats invited.” – That’s because democrats are all fascist-friendly centrists who want to coddle alt-right people and give them free speech; of course nobody is upset by that. Then when antifa and communists are given a stage, you all want to revoke free speech. Perhaps you all would riot if your human rights were actually being threatened…

• ESG

Also: Islam and Judaism are great, black and mexican supremacists don’t exist, or at least don’t have ownership of power dynamics in the US.

• lspanker

All I said is that y’all are being hypocritical with your free speech bullshit.

Your side is the one that beats up people for expressing points of view they don’t like. Who’s the hypocrite again?

Perhaps you all would riot if your human rights were actually being threatened…

Your human rights aren’t being threatened by others speaking. That’s merely the type of nonsensical [email protected] you spew to justify the violence that’s your stock in trade.

• FreedomFan

Thank you for your candor.

Robert Reich will be surprised to learn that what appears to be violent, leftist fascists….are indeed violent leftist fascists and not “right-wingers” posing to discredit the left.

Carry on, Democrats. Trump needs another term.

• Malcolm Scott

Reich discredits himself all the time, but his going on National TV with allegations of a False Flag attack was the low-water mark….even for him.

• ESG

“Leftist fascists” aren’t a thing. Literally crack open any history book.

P.S. based on your profile pic, you seem to be an avid supporter of America. If you hate fascists so much, you might be interested to know that Nazi Germany got many of their eugenics ideas from US practices:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics_in_the_United_States

• roccolore

Liberals ARE fascists. They are anti-Jewish, anti-Christian, pro-abortion, pro-Islam, anti-military, and anti-police.

• Bob

Actually, you’re wrong. Fascism is a leftist political philosophy. The formal name of the Nazi party was the National Socialist German Workers’ Party. The only real difference between fascism and Marxism is the fascist emphasis on nationalism and the different identity-groups they dehumanize so their respective adherents feel justified exacting violent “retribution” against them. The Nazi’s demonized the Jews, homosexuals, Gypsies, etc. while the Marxists demonized the bourgeois in the early 20th century and today it’s white men. Other than these differences, Marxism and Fascism are two sides of the same coin.

• ESG

Then by your logic, North Korea is also Democratic because it’s formally called Democratic People’s Republic of Korea- it’s in the name, right?

Now do you understand how ridiculous you sound? It’s almost as if they stuck Socialist in the name to try to manipulate public opinion.

Fascism and Communism are polar opposites. This is why Hitler spent his entire political movement fighting against communists. Look up “Night of the Long Knives”.

Go crack open a history book or a political theory book. Please. You honestly have no clue.

• lspanker

Fascism and Communism are polar opposites.

Hardly – they both believe the use of force and violence is justified to silence dissent.

• ESG

So does every f*cking country in the world, are you serious right now? That’s what the police and military are for.

• Bob

Hitler fought against the Communists to prevent them from becoming an obstacle to his rise to power, not because Fascism and Communism are “polar opposites.” They’re not. In fact, the Nazis and Reds competed with each other to recruit the same people. And they regularly poached members from each other. Their both totalitarian. They both use central economic planning rather than relying on markets. Oh, and they both require the liberal use of mass murder to purge internal enemies. Chew on that.

• ESG

Also, bourgeois is not a f*cking identity, it’s a socioeconomic class.

• Bob

It’s a “group,” that’s all that matters. At their most basic, political systems fall into one of two categories: those that uphold the rights of the individual, such as the liberal democracies found in Western Europe and North America, and those who champion certain groups over others, as both Communism and Fascism do by granting and withholding rights to groups of people. That’s the point.

• Paul Bristol

Violent leftists thugs are still violent thugs.

• Sam Spade

oh and the other side is so non-violent.

• Prahd Beoey

Self-defense in the name of freedom is no vice.

• lspanker

Compared to your side? Absolutely. Right-wingers aren’t the ones breaking windows and setting fires every time there is a demonstration in Berkeley.

• ESPM360

Milo speaks at UCB and Antifa destroys $100,000 worth of property. Alicia Garza speaks at UCB and not one broken window. Please explain.

• testudo

“We are not paramilitary, outside agitators, or punks looking for a fight. We are members of this community who are invested in its safety.”

Then how about you stop assaulting people who have nothing at all to do with Fascism?

A libertarian, lesbian friend of mine got assaulted by one you violent, masked, anti-fa crazies for the “crime” of wearing a red “make bitcoin great again” hat. It was all over the news.

THESE are the people that anti-fa attacks. Mere randos whos only crime is to show up and express support for free speech.

• David Nollac

Kiara Robles is my friend too. I was at 4/15. That video of her is what got my blood boiling.