UC Berkeley student facing murder charges deemed mentally competent to stand trial

gomez

A third mental health professional deemed UC Berkeley student Pablo Gomez Jr., 22, mentally competent during a Monday morning hearing at the René C. Davidson Courthouse.

Dr. Amy Watt, who conducted a tie-breaking competency test after two previous mental health professionals offered differing opinions during an earlier March 20 hearing, concluded that Gomez was mentally competent to stand trial.

After Judge Jon Rolefson read Watt’s findings, Rolefson reinstated criminal proceedings and set a pretrial hearing date for Gomez’s case May 18.

Gomez was arrested Jan. 7 in connection with the stabbing of Kiana Lailin Schmitt and the murder of Emilie Inman, a 27-year-old South Berkeley resident. Gomez was charged on four felony counts of murder, attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon and first-degree robbery.

Gomez’s arraignment was originally scheduled Feb. 6, but was postponed after an altercation broke out at the courthouse prior to the hearing.

Rolefson said Gomez was in the courthouse building during the hearing, but Gomez was not present in the courtroom while Rolefson offered his remarks.

The hearing was delayed by approximately 90 minutes because of an earlier May Day protest across the street in Oakland. Gomez’s hearing lasted less than five minutes.

“Most deputy sheriffs are across the street dealing with a protest, so court is moving a little slower,” Rolefson said at the hearing.

Contact Ella Jensen at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ellajensen_dc.

• JW
  • Ogre Magi

I am not really interested in the whole gender pronoun issue, but I would like to find out more about the case and it’s possible motives. I know many people here are from the bay area? Did anyone know Pablo Gomez Jr ? Just what kind of person was Pablo Gomez Jr? Could this have been a psychotic break, or was this incident part of a larger pattern of behavior?I have heard people identify Pablo as gay, and I have heard others say Pablo only identified as queer for political reasons , with one commentator claiming that Pablo only dated women and had a history of treating these women very poorly. What is the true story

• JW

There are links to earlier stories that will give you more insight. Berkeleyside also covered the story.

• Ogre Magi

Thanks, I have seen those, I was looking for more first hand info from people that interacted with him

• Nunya Beeswax

Pablo’s tumblr will give you an idea of what sort of person he is :

http://skeetpraylove.tumblr.com/

• Ogre Magi

Thanks, I was looking more for info from people he had interacted with. I am sure there is a lot of stuff he did not want his tumblr followers to know

• Nunya Beeswax

He has a twitter feed as well (same username), but the tweets are protected.

• Ogre Magi

thanks again, I will see what I can find

• thompson_richard

Are the six (6) photos above — all same-same — meant to suggest multiple-personalty disorder?

• Nunya Beeswax

If you had bothered to look at the captions, you would know that they are links to previous stories about Gomez and his crimes.

• thompson_richard

Thanx Ms. Beeswax!

• these are the kind of cases we keep the death penalty around for