Administration and law enforcements share the cost of Ann Coulter, amounting to nearly $500K

coulter_dkim_file-copy
Daniel Kim/File

Campus administration collaborated with the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office, or ACSO, in anticipation of protests surrounding the Ann Coulter event April 27, which ran up to $500,000 in overtime costs, as first reported by KCBS.

Campus spokesperson Dan Mogoluf said overtime costs for deputies from UCPD amounted to $35,000 in addition to another $125,000 to bring in deputies from six other UC campuses. ACSO spokesperson Sgt. Ray Kelly said the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office deployed 80 of the 400 officers, which amounted to about $80,000. Additional costs came from the remaining 320 officers.

“When people hear about (the total cost), they get sticker shock,” Kelly said. “They have to remember that Cal, last week, was an active campus … there were definitely public safety concerns.”

Mogoluf said in addition to the ACSO, UCPD worked with the Oakland Police Department, Berkeley Police Department, California Highway Patrol and the San Leandro Police Department.

UCPD spokesperson Sgt. Sabrina Reich said in an email that UCPD is currently in contact with the sheriff’s office in order to determine “an appropriate level” of reimbursement for their contracted police forces.

According to Mogoluf, the strategy was in response to “very specific and significant” intelligence that the UCPD received about alleged security threats. The reported figure of half a million dollars, he said, is an estimate and the administration presently does not have a full account of the costs. He added that administration hopes to receive a full accounting of the costs in the coming day or sometime next week.

The deployment was a preplanned strategy among both groups to ensure the safety of students and community members, according to Kelly.

Caiden Nason, president of the Cal Berkeley Democrats, said he believed the threat of violence arose due to “an environment fabricated by the Berkeley College Republicans.”

“There was no threat of violence from outside groups … until BCR made it more of a media event,” said Nason. “I’m not saying that they should pay for it, but they should acknowledge that they were the cause of that expense.”

Pranav Jandhyala, founder of BridgeUSA, one of the groups that invited Coulter to campus, said although he commends law enforcement for protecting the campus community, he thinks the task force present Thursday was “overboard.” He added that he believed they were acting on “bad intelligence.”

Kelly deemed the lack of conflict Thursday as a sign of success and said law enforcement presence deters violence by de-escalating tensions.

“You can’t really put a price on public protection, especially in Berkeley which now is a battleground for … extremist groups from the left and right wanting to fight each other,” Kelly said.

Contact Francesca Munsayac at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @fcfm_dc.

• ShadrachSmith

Napolitano stole $175 million, take it out of that.

• SMH

.

WHY CAN’T THE RICH BERKELEY COLLEGE REPUGlicans — AND THEIR RICH DADDIES –BE FORCED TO PAY THE COSTS!?

–SINCE THEY WANT TO BRING IN _THE MOST NOTORIOUS_…, _PURPOSELY RACIST_…, _**INCITEMENT** SPEAKERS_ … — AND MILO **ADMITS** THAT’S WHAT HE **LIKES** TO DO.

OR IS THE UNIVERSITY GOING TO SPEND A HALF-MILLION-DOLLARS EVERY TIME THE COLLEGE REPUGlicans WANT TO DO THAT?

IF A GROUP WANTS TO BRING IN PURPOSELY **INCITEMENT** SPEAKERS, THEN MAKE THEM PAY THE FINANCIAL COSTS!!…

PUT IT IN A UNIVERSITY CONTRACT…: “YOU WANT TO BRING IN THOSE PURPOSELY INCITEMENT SPEAKERS? — OKAY…: THEN YOU PAY THE COSTS!”

JUST THINK OF ALL THE SCHOLARSHIPS THAT MONEY COULD HAVE BEEN PROVIDED TO HISTORICAL MINORITY VICTIMS OF THOSE WHITE-SUPREMACISTS’ RHETORIC.

.

• ESPM360

THEY ALREADY DO PAY. RICH BERKELEY DADDIES PAY FOR THEIR SONS AND DAUGHTERS TO ATTEND.

MAYBEEEEEEE…………. UCB SHOULD HAVE A MORE TOLERANT COMMUNITY WHERE POLICE OVERTIME IS NOT NEEDED. I BLAME UCB FOR GIVING IN TO COMMUNIST.

ORRRRRRRRRR. MY TAX DOOOOOLLLLLLARRRRS ARE WELL SPEEENNNNNNT PROTECTING FREEEEEEEEE SPPEEEECH.

PS. ARE YOU AT COMMUNIST GATHERING TONITE? WHERE ARE THE PO PO. NOT NEEDED, BECAUSE WE DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU THINK. UNLIKE YOU.

• SMH

.

AND ALL THEY GOT WERE ***THREE*** TIME ***LLLOOOZZZERRRZZZ***!

WHA’CHA GONNA *DO* ABOUT IT…?

.

• roccolore

Racist blacks like you are bigots, cowards, and terrorists.

• Olivia Branch

Lib/Prog/Dems are only tolerant of those within the same echo chamber as themselves. They’re complete narcissists because they actually believe that they and only they have all of the answers and correct opinions. Their psychosis is backed up by a complicit media and academic system that keeps evolving into ever deeper depravity. Very sad.

• ESPM360

It would have been zero cost with a tolerant community.

• SMH

.

YOU WANT A COMMUNITY TOLERANT OF **WHITE-SUPREMACIST-NATIONALISM**!?…:

GO FIND SOME WHITE TRASH “SH*TKICKER” COMMUNITY IN TEXAS — OR IN SOME OTHER STATE IN THE *SOUTH* — OR IN SOME POLICE RESIDENTIAL / RETIREMENT COMMUNITY!

–OR IN ISRAEL (IF YOU WANT THE JEWISH/ZIONIST VARIETY OF WHITE-SUPREMACY, INSTEAD OF THE SO-CALLED “CHRISTIAN” VARIETY)

— OR AT MARA-LAGO!

— OR AT *YOUR* HOUSE, ESPM360.

THERE YOU CAN FIND ALL THE TOLERANCE OF WHITE-SUPREMACIST-NATIONALISM THAT YOU WANT.

.

• ESPM360

Sphincter says what?

• Olivia Branch

Just because your innate intolerance forces you to viciously label things that you disagree with doesn’t give you and all of the other echo chamber (victims) thinkers like you the right to decide whether and where free speech takes place. The ONLY reason that you’re such a freaking cultural Marxist is because of free speech. Guess the conservatives should have clamped down on that ages ago, hmm?

• SMH

.

***THREE*** TIME ***LLLOOOZZZERRRZZZ***!!:

WHA’CHA GONNA *DO* ABOUT IT…?

.

• roccolore

You are a black supremacist coward who hates American patriotism.