Students across the UC Berkeley campus voice concerns on the issues of environmental justice as an inextricable piece of the larger movement for intersectional social justice on campus and beyond.

Op-Ed: White supremacy produces disproportionate environmental pollution

Environmental racism describes the idea that non-white people are disproportionately exposed to toxic waste, agricultural chemicals, air pollution and drinking water contamination. Environmental racism is well-documented. Most of the time, though, instances of environmental racism are described as reckless individual acts of pollution or poisoning, instead of symptoms of a structural problem directly linked to white supremacy.

— Jibril Kyser
UC Berkeley student studying plant and soil sciences

Op-Ed: President Trump’s energy policy efforts are entirely misdirected

The problem is that Trump’s remedies are rested in the idea of a past that no longer exists. Our economy as a whole is shifting away from non-renewable energy like coal and towards renewables like wind and solar. Naturally this shift is mirrored by employment. This is true throughout history.

— Kade Percy
UC Berkeley student studying environmental science, policy and management program

Op-Ed: Banning UC Berkeley’s use of herbicides from courts to campus is a must

My teammate and I contacted the athletic grounds manager to ask what herbicide was applied and how often, and he told us that he sprays the Monsanto product Ranger once a year all around our courts. Ranger contains 41 percent glyphosate, the same amount that is in Roundup. In light of OEHHA’s finding, spraying right next to a facility that hosts a group of women in reproductive age, heavily exercising and with a lot of skin exposed to the herbicide is close to criminal.

Mackenzie Feldman, 
UC Berkeley student studying society and environment and minoring in food systems

Op-Ed: Unpacking the California water crisis today

Winter technically ended a little over a month ago. But our beloved rain persists, and flowers have been blooming in California for months. A record wet season and rising temperatures grant us the privilege of enjoying an ambiguously early spring. Meanwhile, persistent global drought conditions restrict farmers around the world from sufficient crop production and millions of people from rightful access to clean, adequate water sources. 

Calla Dorais,
UC Berkeley student studying conservation and resources studies, and city and regional planning

Aslesha Kumar is the assistant opinion editor. Contact her at [email protected].