Kamau Berlin sentenced to 21 years to life for 2014 murder of elderly woman

berlinmug-copy

The 21-year-old Richmond resident Kamau Berlin, who was charged for the murder of 72-year-old Oakland resident Nancy McClellan in 2014, was sentenced to 21 years to life last Friday as first reported by Bay City News.

This decision comes after the delay of an earlier sentencing date set for March 2. The sentencing was carried over to Friday at the Rene C. Davidson Alameda County Courthouse in Oakland.

Berlin was charged with attempted murder and attempted in September 2014 after allegedly attempting to carjack and stabbing McClellan near the intersection of Russell and Otis streets.

McClellan was found in the backseat of her car with arterial bleeding from two stabbings to her neck, and died from the injuries two weeks later on Oct. 8, 2014.

In April 2016, a Berkeley Police Department officer testified in court that Berlin had admitted to committing the crime in a conversation with himself recorded in a police car.

In December 2016, Berlin pleaded no contest to second degree murder and carjacking. At this time he also admitted the use of knife in the assault. The 21 years to life sentence was determined by Kamau’s plea to second-degree murder and plead no contest to one count of carjacking, which result him 15 years to life and five years in state prison respectively.

Additionally, Berlin admitted to the use of a knife, which is classified as a dangerous and deadly weapon, in the assault which added another year to his sentence.

McClellan had attended a wedding at Berkeley Zen Center and was on her way home at the time of the assault. Having been the head gardener at the center, she is remembered by the members for being extroverted and diligent in the community.

She is also remembered for her kindness by friends and family. Some of her hobbies included photography, writing and comedy.

Christine Lee is an assistant news editor. Contact Christine Lee at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @christinejlee17.

• Usb Cable

SHould’ve been sentence to death. Why are we going to pay to feed and house this baboon?