Cal women’s golf tied for 15th at conclusion of 2nd day

Cal Bears Women's Golf Team
Cal.ISIPhotos.com/Courtesy

While the Cal women’s golf team’s home greens and bunkers have begun to embrace the seemingly endless amounts of summertime sunshine, Mother Nature decided that the Midwest should completely skip the summer and transition straight into fall.

As the Cal women’s golf team began their third tournament of the postseason Friday in Sugar Grove, Illinois, the weather proved it was going to be one of the toughest opponents of the weekend.

The Bears battled wind and rain throughout the day and ended the first round 15th (+31) overall out of the 24 teams competing, just barely sneaking into the second round of the tournament.

Junior Marthe Wold, who struggled throughout much of the regular season, had the strongest outing for the team, shooting 77 (+5) to finish T-19 in the individual leaderboards at the end of the first round. Wold’s fantastic play proved to be pivotal as her teammates struggled in the first round.

Senior Lucia Gutierrez shot 79 (+7) to finish T-44, freshman Maria Herraez shot 80 (+8) to place T-56 and sophomore Marianne Li shot 83 (+11) to finish T-92. Freshman Jiyoon Jang had the most forgettable round of the bunch, shooting 88 (+16) to tie for 123rd place.

The Bears were set to start their second round of play Saturday morning, but the events were cancelled after a long delay due to severe weather conditions.

This cancellation changed the format of the tournament; instead of the top 15 teams advancing to Monday, the tournament changed to 54 holes of stroke play with the top eight teams advancing after Monday’s third round.

After Sunday’s round of play, the Bears are T-14 overall, improving just slightly upon their 15th place finish on Friday. Wold continued to lead the team finishing T-23 on the day, but dropped from T-19. If they want to crack the top 8 and advance to the final round they must improve overall as a team.

Jang had an improvement on her previous performance, moving up from T-123 to T-97, and sophomore Li jumped 26 places from T-92 to T-66.

The rest of the Bears sputtered in their second round of play. Gutierrez dropped from T-44 to T-59 and Herraez dropped from T-56 to T-75.

The rainy weather is not set to let up at Rich Harvest Farms so the team must be prepared to weather the storm and bring their best game if they hope to see a lighter day in the championship round.

Sitting in 14th place with 18 rounds to go, the Bears will need to put together one of their best performances of the season to remain in the tournament while hoping the teams currently above them sputter down the stretch and fall in the rankings. Cal made up some ground from their first day on the green to the second, jumping from 15th place to tied for 14th place, but it will need to jump eight spots to sneak into the next round.

Graham Griffin covers women’s golf. Contact her at [email protected].