Hometown shoutout: Santa Barbara

Amanda Chung/Staff
Amanda Chung/Staff
Amanda Chung/Staff

We love Berkeley as much as the next Top Dog enthusiast, but there’s something about our hometowns that will always hold a special place in our hearts. That’s why Santa Barbara, home of The Habit Burger Grill and on-screen location of the show “Psych,” will be the best forever and always.

Amanda Chung/Staff

Amanda Chung/Staff

The city makes a point of staying as small-town as possible. There’s a grand total of three drive-throughs within city limits, billboards are strictly prohibited and buildings aren’t allowed to be more than four stories tall. Mom and pop stores are the economy’s bread and butter, and there’s a farmers market almost every day. While we often long for a Target, the perks of living in this blessed small town that we get to call home are worth the sacrifice of a poppin’ dollar bin. 

Amanda Chung/Staff

Amanda Chung/Staff

The biggest struggle locals face is deciding which beach to visit on the weekends. Similar to the issue surrounding local taco joints, everyone has their personal preference on which spot reigns supreme. Boogie-boarding fanatics often push for the sick waves of Campus Point, while volleyball players are always looking to hit the courts on East Beach. Regardless of where everyone ends up, there’s sure to be warm sand and blue water as far as the eye can see. 

Amanda Chung/Staff

Once the debate of beach location is settled, the issue of post-sunbathing grub frequently arises. Lying like a beached whale for hours on end works up quite the appetite. The most popular sunburn snacks are burgers or tacos, both of which can be found within walking distance of the majority of beaches that we spend all our free time at. 

There’s the occasional situation in which these two conundrums overlap and result in eating at the beach. What can we say, we Santa Barbarians are problem-solvers. 

Amanda Chung/Staff

Amanda Chung/Staff

On the off chance that beaches aren’t your thing, to which we ask why you have no soul, there are plenty of hiking trails waiting to be explored. Santa Barbara is a geographical BOGO deal in that people often come for the ocean but stay for the mountains.

Amanda Chung/Staff

Amanda Chung/Staff

If all of this outdoor activity is too much for a city slicker, there’s always the scenic Downtown shopping available for tourist enjoyment. Be warned, everyone knows everyone else. The six-degrees-of-Kevin-Bacon idea has got nothing on this tiny beach town. The odds of going Downtown and not running into someone you know are similar to the odds of us reading a course syllabus prior to the first day of classes. Essentially zero. 

Everybody’s friendly. Nobody honks. It’s always sunny and 75 degrees outside. Obviously, these claims have their limits. It rained once last November. All in all, the town of Santa Barbara is about as close to heaven on Earth as you can get. You can take the girl out of the town, but you can’t take the town out of the girl.

Amanda Chung/Staff

Amanda Chung/Staff

Did we mention the beaches?

Contact Amanda Chung at [email protected].