McShane adds pair of Bruins to volleyball staff

ucla-athletics_courtesy
UCLA Athletics/File

Haas Pavilion may be Bear territory, but the Cal volleyball team will have to grow accustomed to a pair of individuals who have Bruin and Cardinal ties. Joining recently signed head coach Matt McShane are Spencer McLachlin and Cayley Thurlby. McLachlin will become an assistant coach and Thurlby director of operations.

Both McLachlin and Thurlby will join Cal having worked for UCLA last season. McLachlin’s spent 2016 and 2017 with the Bruins and he served as a volunteer assistant coach for the men’s volleyball team under head coach John Speraw. Thurlby spent five seasons at UCLA beginning in 2013 and served as the director of volleyball operations for the men’s and women’s programs.

McLachlin and Thurlby not only have history at UCLA, but at the University of Hawaii. Alongside head coach Charlie Wade and fellow assistant coach Milan Zarkovic, McLachlin helped guide the Rainbow Warriors to a record of 24-7 and an appearance in the NCAA tournament, their first since 2002.

Thurlby played for Hawaii from 2003-06 after redshirting the 2002 season. Over four seasons, Thurlby appeared in 118 matches and accumulated 16 aces, 207 digs and 421 assists and saw time as a defensive specialist, right-side hitter and setter.

In her last two seasons, Thurlby was named co-captain and averaged over a dig per set. She will join former teammate and current Cal assistant coach Jennifer Dorr upon joining the Bears.

After her time at Hawaii, Thurlby played professionally for Cajasur in Cordoba, Spain, and in Argentina in 2007. Thurlby also participated in the AVP tour for four years.
McLachlin played for Stanford from 2008-11 and was a member of the 2010 squad which won a national championship. During his four seasons as an outside hitter for the Cardinal, McLachlin accumulated the third most kills in school history during the rally scoring era with 1,288. As a senior, McLachlin served as captain. Professionally, McLachlin played as an outside hitter for MAS Niki Aiginio in Greece from 2012-14.

Justice delos Santos is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @jdelossantos1

Clarification(s):
Clarification: A previous version of this article may have implied Thurlby served as the director of volleyball operations for only the men’s team. In fact, Thurlby served for both the men’s and women’s programs.

Correction: A previous version of this article stated that 2016 was McLachlin’s first and only season with the Bruins. In fact, he was on staff in 2016 and 2017.