Morikawa named Division I PING First-Team All-American

Fairfax, CA - OCTOBER 11, 2016: Cal Men's Golf During the Alister MacKenzie Invitational at the Meadow Club.
Eric Miller/Courtesy

Sophomore standout Collin Morikawa is receiving even more recognition following a sensational campaign on the greens as he was named a Division I PING First-Team All-American according to the Golf Coaches Association of America. Morikawa is the eighth player in Cal history to receive the illustrious honor and the first since the 2013-14 season.

Morikawa flashed his potential during his freshman season, when he earned a third-team selection. The sophomore proved throughout the 2016-17 season that he wasn’t satisfied with the third-team nomination and consistently led the charge for the Cal men’s golf team.

The sophomore’s regular season stands as one of the best in Cal history. In eight of his 11 stroke-play events, Morikawa finished in the top-10. At the prestigious Southern Highlands Collegiate in March, Morikawa placed first on the individual leaderboard. He also set a single-season school record with a stroke average of 69.94, a total which ranked second in the nation behind sophomore Braden Thornberry of Ole Miss, who finished with a total of 69.57.

Morikawa finished the season ranked the seventh-best individual in the nation and is currently ranked sixth in the Scratch Players World Amateur Ranking.

In addition to being named first-team All-American, Morikawa was named Cal’s Most Valuable and Most Improved Player, First-Team All-Pac-12, First-Team Division I PING All-Region and was a semifinalist for the Jack Nicklaus Player of the Year Award and Ben Hogan Award.

Morikawa represented the Bears at the NCAA Stanford Regionals after the team failed to qualify for the NCAA Regionals. The sophomore finished 12th overall and fell just short of securing the lone NCAA Championships spot available to the top individual whose team was not one of five advancing teams.

The last Bears named first-team All-Americans were then-seniors Joël Stalter and Michael Weaver in the 2013-14 season. Morikawa also joins Charlie Wi, Peter Tomasulo, Max Homa, Weaver and Michael Kim, the latter three of whom all earned the accolade during the 2012-13 season. Morikawa and Kim are the only ones of the bunch to have won during their sophomore seasons.

Morikawa will continue to play this summer beginning with the US Open Sectional Qualifying beginning in Newport Beach at the Big Canyon Country Club on June 5.

Justice delos Santos is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @jdelossantos1