Woman pepper-sprayed at Yiannopoulos protest sues campus, regents for $23M

yiannopoulos_danielkim_file
Daniel Kim/File

A lawsuit filed Monday, demanding more than $23 million in relief and damages, alleges campus and university officials violated federal law and campus policies during their handling of the Feb. 1 Milo Yiannopoulos campus protest.

The lawsuit’s plaintiff, Kiara Robles, alleged she was attending the Yiannopoulos protest when she was “attacked with extremely painful pepper spray and bear mace by masked assailants,” according to the complaint filed in federal district court.

Robles, an Oakland resident, alleges the defendants were negligent by limiting conservative speech on campus and withholding law enforcement from protecting attendees during the Yiannopoulos protests. Robles, who is gay, further alleged the defendants discriminated against her because of her sexual orientation.

“It can be dangerous and even life-threatening to criticize liberal policies and opinions on college campuses,” Robles alleged in a Facebook message. “If the UC Berkeley community can’t remain politically neutral or conduct itself with civility, it’s an admission by everyone involved that the university is an indoctrination camp for political correctness.”

The lawsuit names several individuals and groups as defendants, including UC President Janet Napolitano, the UC Board of Regents, outgoing campus chancellor Nicholas Dirks, Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguín, UCPD and UCPD Police Chief Margo Bennett, Berkeley Police Department and BPD Chief Andrew Greenwood, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and billionaire investor George Soros.

Larry Klayman, a representing attorney for Robles, alleged the campus’s and university’s actions “enable violence” and should be disciplined legally.

Prior to the planned Yiannopoulos speech, campus administrators and UCPD invested “substantial University resources planning security measures” to ensure the event took place, campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof said in an emailed statement.

Mogulof added in the statement that UCPD responded in an effort to minimize harm to attendees, defend the building from assailants and protect the speaker in the face of an “unprecedented level of organized violence.” Campus administration and law enforcement remain committed to free speech and the protection of campus community members and its guests, according to Mogulof.

“The University of California, Berkeley intends to mount a vigorous and successful defense of its actions, and looks forward to contesting this collection of false claims,” Mogulof wrote in an email. “We are confident that UCPD’s actions will be vindicated against the plaintiff’s uninformed allegations.”

Mayor Arreguín’s office and BPD declined to comment on the pending litigation. The University of California Office of the President, UC Board of Regents, Pelosi and Soros could not be reached for comment as of press time.

Pranav Jandhyala, co-president and founder of BridgeUSA at Berkeley, a nonpartisan organization which helped invite Ann Coulter to speak on campus in April, said he attended the Yiannopoulos event as a member of the media. Jandhyala said he was assaulted by protesters outside of the event.

“When we say we’re a campus that upholds the First Amendment, I think we need to do everything we can — and UCPD needs to do everything they can — to protect the speaker, people who attend the speech, people who protest peacefully,” Jandhyala said. “There needs to be more of a reaction and more of a commitment to trying to prevent this type of assault from happening.”

Contact Valerie Hsieh at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @valhsieh.

• Usb Cable

Bravo, I hope she wins. The University of California is a criminal racketeering operation, and Janet Napolitano belongs in front of a firing squad.

• IntelligentAmericansResearchit

Frivolous lawsuit. Money grabber.

• lspanker

Do you say the same thing about confused girly men who require special bathroom facilities because they don’t understand basic mammalian biology?

• MapsJohn

George Soros, lol. I hope for Kiara’s sake this isn’t costing her anything. This will be laughed out of court.

• Usb Cable

wtf does George Soros have to do with this? Did you suck his weiner at your synagogue or something?

• Chief Presiding Judge

Kiara Robles is a brainwashed reactionary alt-right ideologue, and a big hypocrite considering she parrots garbage from Breirtbart and people like Milo about how everyone liberal is a snowflake.

Looks like she’s the snowflake now. I think she should toughen up.

• Usb Cable

I think a tire iron across your face would toughen you up lib-boy.

• California Defender

“It can be dangerous and even life-threatening to criticize liberal policies and opinions on college campuses.” -Plaintiff, Kiara Robles

Very true. Most universities across America promote political indoctrination and violence, not intellectual studies and diversity of thought.

Her lawyer said:

“…the campus’s and university’s actions “enable violence” and should be disciplined legally.”

“We want justice for Kiara. She was assaulted. The California university system, and in part, Berkeley, is out of control, and they’re facilitating, if not inciting, violence.”

The plaintiff has a solid case with video evidence. I would not be surprised if she gets every penny of the $23 million. And it’s not just her. Many are assaulted on campuses a result of their intentional creation of atmospheres that are conducive to politically-motivated violence and willful negligence in failing to protect people once it inevitably happens.

It’s time to hold universities accountable.

• Joe Citizen

It’s a long established principle of law that the police have no actionable duty to protect anyone – at least anyone not in their custody. Anyone with any sense knew there would be a bunch of nasty Antifa types at that event, and it would be easy to be assaulted, tough the degree of the violence was extreme.
    BUT, even though it has no good basis in law, I am glad It’s in the news, because there is no question the campus administration was very derelict in duties they DO have, which are to protect free speech, and failing that, at the very least, protect the campus from being damaged.
    Another thing which might be accomplished – there were clearly some UC EMPLOYEES guilty of serious felony assaults – maybe they can fire them at the least?
    The inadequacies of that campus administration in facing any controversial topic will also be highlighted and hopefully encourage them to stop abusing male students under Title lX. So, basically , it’s all good.

• lspanker

The inadequacies of that campus administration in facing any controversial topic will also be highlighted and hopefully encourage them to stop abusing male students under Title lX.

Only as long as we keep shining the light on the administration… it’s apparently the only thing that will make the cockroaches scurry away…

• Brenda Budd

Robles, lol, you’re a MEXICAN, HAHA!

• lspanker

I see you had nothing relevant to add to the discussion, racist troll.