DIY garlic fries

Nichole Bloom/Blog Staff

What if we told you that you don’t need to go all the way to Gilroy (home of the Gilroy Garlic Festival) to enjoy some drool-worthy garlic fries? With just a few ingredients even college students can afford, this tried-and-true recipe can make all your garlic fry dreams a reality. 

Serves 2-3

Ingredients

¼ bag frozen french fries

4-7 cloves of garlic

1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or cheese of your choice)

Salt and pepper

The first thing to do is spread the fries on a foil- or parchment-paper-covered baking sheet. We recommend parchment paper because the fries won’t stick to it and will easily slide off onto a plate and into your awaiting mouth.

Make sure the fries don’t overlap, or the ones on top will be cooked while the ones on the bottom will not be. I usually use Walmart-brand seasoned fries but you can use Safeway’s Signature Kitchen Classic Cut French Fries as the next-cheapest alternative.

Crush four to seven cloves of garlic and mince as fine as possible. You can add more or less garlic depending on preference, but seven is the sweet spot. Spread the garlic on top of the fries evenly, making sure there aren’t any clumps with too many garlic pieces. Season the fries with salt and pepper to taste.

Bake for 25 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. This setting works for both traditional convection ovens and toaster ovens.

After the 25 minutes, sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for another five minutes at the same temperature. You can increase or decrease the time the cheese bakes depending on how crispy you like the cheese, but make sure the fries cook for a total of 30 minutes. No one likes soggy or burnt fries!

Alterations

If you don’t have an oven, you can cook the fries on a stove-top or hot plate in 1-3 tablespoons of oil until they become crispy, then sprinkle the cheese on top and cover with a lid until the cheese is the consistency you desire.

You can also drizzle some oil on top of the fries and microwave on a plate for 3-4 minutes and then for another minute after you add on the cheese. They won’t be crispy, but they’ll still be delicious.

Contact Pooja Bale at [email protected].