BPD Special Victims Unit arrests sexual battery suspect Thursday

crime_danielkim_staff
Daniel Kim/File

A sexual battery suspect who allegedly harassed a 19-year-old female in May was arrested by Berkeley Police Department Special Victims Unit detectives, according to a BPD Nixle alert issued about 6:23 p.m. Thursday.

The arrested suspect is named by the Nixle alert as Clay Collier, 33, of Berkeley. Collier was booked in Berkeley City Jail for sexual battery and battery, according to the alert.

The alert stated that on May 29, the female victim was walking near Bancroft Way and Fulton Street when Collier allegedly “grabbed her buttocks as she walked by him.” The victim then chased Collier, who allegedly hit the victim in the face as she took a photo of him with her phone.

According to the alert, the victim then ran away from Collier, who he was last seen running northbound on Fulton Street. The victim provided a statement and Collier’s picture to UCPD, which later forwarded the information to BPD.

The alert said a BPD officer recognized Collier after the photo was circulated among BPD officers and detectives. BPD SVU detectives obtained a search and arrest warrant Tuesday, and served the search warrant at Collier’s residence Thursday.

After detectives found evidence which indicated that Collier was allegedly responsible for the attack, Collier was arrested outside his apartment.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Special Victims Unit at (510) 981-5715.

Bobby Lee is an assistant news editor. Contact Bobby Lee at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @bobbylee_dc.