Picks of the week: Guaranteed summer fun, sun not included

The Grateful Dead on Haight St 1968
Jim Marshall/Courtesy

The second week of June is officially summer — it’s getting warmer (well, at least sporadically) and UC Berkeley’s spring semester is long over (though those enrolled in summer classes may not take much relief in this) — so there are heaps of neat events for you to attend.

From casual afternoon street fairs, where you’ll wish it were 20 degrees warmer so you could wear your cute shorts (or so you wouldn’t be freezing because you wore your cute shorts anyway), to new art exhibits and galleries, where the air conditioning indoors will probably still make you wish it was 20 degrees warmer, there’s something to do almost every day this week.

Here are a few recommendations:

Friday: Friday Nights at the de Young

Summer Friday nights in San Francisco offer after-hours arts events at the de Young Museum. From 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., a mix of happenings fill the museum halls — often including live music, dance, film screenings, panel discussions, exhibition tours, art demonstrations, drop-in workshops from local artists, theater performances and specialty cocktails, to name a few. On the docket for this Friday is a creativity station with Linda Janklow, live music by Rob Reich, a poetry reading with Michael McClure and a film screening of the “The Maze.” Entry is free to the public — excluding the cafe and special exhibits open at the time — so if you’re looking for a dose of art and culture that won’t put a dent in your wallet, this is it.

Saturday: 2017 Film Night in the Park kickoff at Dolores Park

To celebrate the beginning of warmer evenings in June (though San Francisco weather persistently refuses to be pigeonholed into the norms of the season), the Monterey Bay Aquarium sponsors an annual series of outdoor film screenings, choosing a few of San Francisco’s best parks to play host to a lineup that ranges from ‘60s classics to modern Academy Award winners. The first film of this summer will be the 1997 classic “Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery.” It’ll be shown on a massive outdoor screen at Dolores Park beginning at dusk. The event start time is characteristic of one of those casual, bring-a-picnic-and-play-it-by-ear sort of things. Just don’t bring a lawn chair — unless you relish in the irritated glances and whispers of the filmgoers who sit behind you.

Sunday: Haight Ashbury Street Fair

Attracting thousands of people annually, the Haight Ashbury Street Fair in San Francisco is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year. Honestly, what could be better than checking out the more than 200 vendors selling food, clothing, crafts, local art and more, all while shoving your way through those thousands of people?

But in all seriousness, the fair promises to be a lively day in the city — and it’s free, so if you like shopping, street vendors and food trucks, you should head over there and check it out.

Monday: San Francisco Arts Commission special event “Wrangling the Brilliant and Notorious Legacy of Jim Marshall”

Photographers and historians are responsible for creating and maintaining the archival reputation of famous musicians, but it’s easy to forget the importance — and even necessity — of their role when thinking about a band as massively popular as the Grateful Dead or Jefferson Airplane. In order to highlight the work of these too-often overlooked artists, the San Francisco Arts Commission is holding a special free event to introduce and spotlight the people whose job it is to document and sustain the legacy of some of the world’s biggest rock and roll stars. It’s free to the public and sure to be full of interesting behind-the-scenes stories.

Wednesday: Comedy @ The Comet Club

Each Wednesday, The Uptown Nightclub in Downtown Oakland hosts a summer outdoor stand-up comedy series — Moonlight Comedy: Stand Up Under the Stars! — featuring some of the Bay Area’s best comedians, this week: Jon Alcabes from SF Punchline, Nate Spears from SJ Improv, Krista Fatka from Outside Lands, Johan Miranda from Los Angeles and Stephen Furey from The World Famous Comedy Store. Prepare for it to be a little cold because June in Oakland at 8 p.m. isn’t exactly known to be balmy — but the outdoor space heaters and free ticket price make it an entirely worthwhile night.

Thursday: ‘Frame41, The San Francisco International LGBTQ Film Festival’

It’s the biggest LGBTQ film exhibition event in the entire world, and it’s happening in our backyard. Kicking off Thursday and running through June 25 this year, “Frame41, The San Francisco International LGBTQ Film Festival,” hosted by Frameline, presents socially relevant works to the more than 60,000 people who attend annually. Ticket prices vary (spiking on the last day of the festival), but a regular screening ticket will cost $13 for students and $14 for the general public.

Olivia Jerram covers music. Contact her at [email protected].

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that the title of the festival was “The San Francisco International LGBTQ Film Festival.” The actual title is “Frameline41, The San Francisco International LGBTQ Film Festival.”

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that the festival is hosted by Frameline Distribution when it is actually hosted by Frameline.