Hometown shoutout: Atlanta, GA

Emilia Malachowski/File

Atlanta, Georgia. Home of 2 Chainz, OG Maco, Rich Homie Quan, T.I., Lil Jon, Soulja Boy, Ludacris, YoungBloodZ, Young Dro, Young Thug and most importantly, Migos.

Atlanta is definitely a pretty difficult place to unpack. It’s the capital of an extremely Republican-majority state, but is located in one of the most Democratic counties in the nation. It stood as a pillar for the confederates during the Civil War in the 1860’s, but a leader of the Civil Rights Movement during the 1960s. It hosted the 1996 Summer Olympics, but hasn’t won a professional sports championship in more than 22 years.

Even Google can’t quite understand what’s going on with Atlanta:

In truth, Atlanta is a lot of different things. With its profound cultural, ethnic and geographic diversity, within a 20-minute drive, you’ll almost always feel like you’re in a completely different place than where you started.

This is mostly because of Atlanta’s complex network of neighborhoods and districts; there are the urban areas of Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead, as well as the more suburban regions of Dunwoody, Alpharetta, and Cobb County. Each offers its own activities, attitude and unique experience.

After dividing my lifetime living in Atlanta, New York, Toronto, Brussels and now Berkeley, I would certainly still say Atlanta is worth a visit. With so much to see and do, visiting Atlanta is a difficult offer to refuse. When you do make your way over, here are some places I think everyone should to experience:

Georgia Aquarium: Although we at the Clog do not support animal captivity, this place is special. Right in the heart of Downtown Atlanta, The Georgia Aquarium is the largest aquarium in the Western Hemisphere, and was the largest in the world until 2012. It holds 10 million gallons of water, several thousand species, and notable specimens such as beluga whales and manta rays.

World of Coca-Cola: OK, this place is actually insane. Right across from the Centennial Olympic Park and Georgia Aquarium, this is a must-see. The tour offers 60 coke flavors from around the world and the opportunity to somehow feel worse about yourself after visiting a museum.

The Varsity: Other than being the largest drive-in fast food restaurant in the world, I can’t give you a single reason to visit this place other than the fact that every single person from Atlanta already has. Although the food is almost as awful as the line, you just have to go. I’m sorry.

So, that’s essentially Atlanta in a nutshell! I sincerely hope you visit, and if you do, check these places out. And remember we at the Clog would love to grab a chili dog from The Varsity with you, or hit up a concert from one of our 14,000 underappreciated ATL rap-gods.

Contact Jameson Weiss at [email protected].