Aaron Rodgers rekindles flame with Cal football

mike_morbeck_creative_commons_Aaron_rodgers_2014
Mike Morbeck/Creative Commons

When Jeff Tedford, who spent 11 seasons as the Cal head football coach, was fired, Cal alumnus and NFL superstar Aaron Rodgers was not silent about his dismay surrounding the decision.

“Terrible decision, terrible decision,” Rodgers said, according to an ESPN article. “I think it’s disrespectful, too.”

This kick-started what seemed to be the era of Rodgers disregarding Cal after he spent his sophomore and junior years at the university. After the Tedford firing, fans speculated about what Rodgers’ true feelings about Cal were. Rodgers sparked a large debate when he claimed Butte College over Cal, saying his community college gave him his big break.

But with the hiring of Justin Wilcox, it seems the Green Bay Packer is finally warming back up to Bear territory and for the first time since the firing – he’s back.

One reason Rodgers may be a fan of Wilcox is revealed in hashtag on his Instagram photo, “#recruitthewestagain”. When Sonny Dykes was the head coach at Cal, he largely recruited from Texas and strayed from the West Coast. But Wilcox has deep West Coast roots and has spent much of his career coaching in the Pac-12, meaning it is probable that most of his recruiting will stay west coast-based.

Wilcox has yet to coach a game under Cal, but bringing back one of the greatest Bears in history is likely to bode well with fans and possible recruits.

Christie Aguilar is the assistant sports editor. Contact her at [email protected].