Drew Kobayashi, Victor Viramontes to transfer out of Cal

drew_kobayashi_coat_and_tie_np_07312016471-copy

Cal football’s roster has not stopped changing since Justin Wilcox took over as the program’s new head coach in January. A scheme shift in the middle of recruiting season was sure to start reverberations for the foreseeable future.

We’re in summer now and nothing has seemed to quite settle down. Two players who redshirted their freshman year will now seemingly never see the field for Cal after announcing their transfers this week.

Wide receiver Drew Kobayashi was the first of the pair to announce his departure, posting a brief statement on Twitter expressing his gratitude to the coaching staff that brought him to Cal and announcing he had received an unconditional release.

Kobayashi looked to be the odd man out in the competition of Cal’s wide array of receiving options. As the Bears move from an extraordinarily pass-heavy scheme under former head coach Sonny Dykes to what promises to be a more balanced approach under Wilcox, the positional balance of the roster must change as well. There are simply too many wide receivers to ensure everyone receives playing time.

On Tuesday, quarterback Victor Viramontes posted a similar statement on Twitter, writing he will be transferring to another school before the start of the 2017 season and thanking both the staff that brought him in and Wilcox by name.

Redshirt junior Chase Forrest and redshirt sophomore Ross Bowers took the majority of the snaps in the Bear’s Spring Game, leaving Viramontes out in the cold. With the transfer of quarterback Brandon McIlwain into the program and class of 2017 recruit Chase Garbers entering as a freshman, Viramontes decided to take his talents elsewhere.

Viramontes was the second signal-caller from his recruiting class to look elsewhere for another opportunity after Max Gilliam did the same in late-May. Gilliam saw a decent number of snaps in the Spring Game, but announced his transfer shortly after McIlwain announced he would transfer to Cal.

Contact Andrew Wild at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @andrewwild17.