This Week in Bears: Colin Morikawa shines at Arnold Palmer Cup, Brandon Chauca to not return, Kameron Rooks chooses SDSU

golf_collinmorikawa_courtesy
Eric Miller/Courtesy

This issue of This Week in Bears covers Collin Morikawa’s performance at the Arnold Palmer Cup, Brandon Chauca’s decision to not play for the Cal men’s basketball team and Kameron Rooks’ transfer destination.

Morikawa: Junior Collin Morikawa has only completed two seasons with the Cal men’s golf team, but the All-American is slowly creeping in the conversation to be one of the best Bears to ever graze the greens.

Morikawa not only helped lead Team USA to a 19.5-11.5 win over Team Europe, but was selected by both sides to earn exemption into the 2018 Arnold Palmer Invitational.

“It was an incredible and memorable experience I’ll never forget,” said Morikawa in a CalBears interview.

Morikawa split Friday’s matches in his Arnold Palmer Cup debut. In four ball play, the junior and former member of Stanford men’s golf Maverick McNealy beat Europe’s Richard Mansell and David Wicks, 2 and 1. The junior and former member of USC men’s golf Sean Crocker fell 4 and 2 to Europe’s Fredrik Nilehn and Hannes Ronneblad.

In singles play Saturday, Morikawa bested Europe’s Rory Franssen, 3 and 2, and was one of nine Americans to win their solo matches. The junior started off strong, birdieing four of his first five holes, and never looked back to claim the win. Morikawa would fall to Nilehn in Sunday’s singles play.

Morikawa becomes the sixth player in Cal history to participate in the Arnold Palmer Cup following his participation.

Chauca and RooksCal basketball has lost another player this offseason as guard Brandon Chauca will not be returning for his senior season.

Chauca did not play during the 2016-17 season as he suffered a broken wrist in the preseason. If he didn’t get injured, Chauca would have likely come off the bench behind then-freshman guard Charlie Moore.

With Moore transferring to Kansas, it seemed that Chauca had potential to crack a starting spot in Cal’s hurting lineup. Chauca can either transfer or finish his degree at Cal.

Center Kameron Rooks, who declared he will be transferring earlier this year, has committed to San Diego State University. Rooks’ departure leaves the Bears with only one center.

The loss of these two players adds to the long list of players to depart from the program. With Ivan Rabb having declared for the NBA draft, Moore and Rooks transferring and five players graduating, the Bears only have five players returning from last season.

Contact Daily Cal Sports at [email protected].