Jaylen Brown, Jabari Bird, Ivan Rabb to participate in Summer League

PDowney-27basketballHoopsonline
Phillip Downey/Senior Staff

Cal basketball alumni Jaylen Brown, Jabari Bird and Ivan Rabb will participate in the NBA Summer League this July, the former two playing for the Boston Celtics and the latter playing for the Memphis Grizzlies.

Brown and Bird are currently participating in the Utah Jazz Summer League, a four-team affair featuring the Celtics, Philadelphia 76ers, San Antonio Spurs and Utah Jazz. Once this three-day series of exhibition games ends July 6, the Celtics will participate in 24-team Las Vegas Summer League.

Brown was a man amongst boys in Boston’s 89-88 win over Philadelphia, dropping 29 points and inhaling 13 rebounds on 10 of 16 shooting. The former No. 3 overall pick showed flashes of his budding offensive game whether it be knocking down difficult turnaround jumpers and deep three-pointers finishing acrobatic layups with his left hand.

Bird only played four total minutes against the 76ers, but knocked down one of two three-pointers he attempted in the playing time he did see, a tough three-pointer with a defender in his face at that.

Brown had his first opportunity to play alongside this year’s No. 3 overall pick Jayson Tatum, who totaled 21 points, seven rebounds, three assists and five steals along with a game-winning jumper.

Both Brown and Bird struggled in their second game against San Antonio. Brown shot poorly from the field and from the free throw line, making only two of six shots from the field and two of five from the stripe in addition to four turnovers. Bird received more playing time, but missed both shot attempts from the field to go scoreless in 12 minutes.

Rabb, being one of two players Memphis drafted, will likely see bounds of playing time during the Las Vegas Summer League.

The Grizzlies will send five power forwards to Las Vegas, including Rabb. Of those five power forwards, Deyonta Davis and Jarell Martin are the only two with service time in the NBA, although both have yet to establish themselves.

With Zach Randolph signing with the Sacramento Kings on a two-year, $24 million deal, a vacancy has opened up at the Grizzlies’ backup power forward position, but a starting spot may open up as well with JaMychal Green’s restricted free agency status still remains up in the air.

Based on rumblings from Green’s agent, the Grizzlies have not made re-signing the 27-year-old a top priority. Should Rabb put up promising numbers during the Summer League, Memphis’ front office may be swayed to let Green walk in favor of the former Bear.

Justice delos Santos is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @jdelossantos510