UCPD reports 3 crimes near campus

roundup_lfrick_file-copy
Lianne Frick/File

Two alleged strong-arm robberies and an alleged assault with a deadly weapon at People’s Park and Grinnell Path were reported by UCPD on Wednesday.

At People’s Park, an individual was allegedly assaulted with an unidentified object and another was robbed in two separate incidents. On Grinnell Path, a student was allegedly robbed of her personal belongings.

UCPD does not believe these three crimes are linked, according to UCPD Sgt. Nicolas Hernandez.

“We’re constantly looking at trends and what’s going on,” Hernandez said. “We take extra time with trying to cover areas that we think are going to be targeted. … A lot of times, the police need the community’s help in apprehending suspects.”

On June 29 about 3:51 p.m., a 23-year-old student was allegedly struck on the head with an unidentified object after getting entangled in a fight at People’s Park.

The assailant was seen walking away with a crowbar, but UCPD has not been able to locate or identify the suspect. The victim was transferred to Alta Bates Hospital.

The alleged suspect is described to be a white, 30- to 40-year-old man with short dark hair and a goatee and was last seen wearing a baggy blue denim jacket and torn blue jeans or shorts, according to a Nixle alert issued.

The following day, about 6:38 p.m., UCPD received a report of an alleged strong-arm robbery at People’s Park involving an underage male who was at the park with a group of unidentified men, according to a Nixle alert.

One of the men allegedly asked for his hat while another asked for his phone. The victim gave them his belongings and left the park. He then reported seeing the two men and another man walking westward on Haste Street. The police could not locate the suspects.

The first suspect is described to be a 16-year-old Hispanic male sporting a black leather jacket, a black ponytail and gold jewelry. The second suspect, described as a 16-year-old Hispanic male, was seen wearing a gray Gap sweatshirt. The third suspect is described as a Hispanic male around 16 to 17 years old with black hair and blond tips wearing a black shirt and a backpack.

On Wednesday, a female student was robbed of her personal belongings on Grinnell Path about 2:23 p.m., according to a Nixle alert. The police were not able to find the suspects.

The two suspects were black male teenagers, both around six feet tall, wearing black hooded sweatshirts and gray pants.

City Councilmember Kriss Worthington discussed some factors that might be related to the recent string of crimes near campus, including the growing number of students visiting the campus during the summer.

“There are a lot of people who try to take advantage of especially new students that may not have been in an urban environment,” Worthington said.

Contact Atira Nair at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @atirastar.