Kristine Anigwe invited to USA Women’s U23 training camp

whoops_lfrick_file-copy
Lianne Frick/File

Cal junior Kristine Anigwe has accepted an invitation to participate in the 2017 USA Basketball Women’s U23 training camp at the United States Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Anigwe will be one of 40 to attend the training camp, which will be used to create the 12-player team representing the United States.

The training camp will be led by coach Jeff Walz from University of Louisville from July 31 to Aug. 4. He will be assisted by Courtney Banghart from Princeton and Michelle Clark-Heard of Western Kentucky University.

Anigwe already has previously won three medals a member of USA Basketball. She shined as an international star winning a gold at the 2014 FIBA U17 World Championship and the 2015 FIBA U19 World Championship. She also participated in the 2015 FIBA 3×3 U18 World Championship and attained a silver medal.

Anigwe was awarded the 2016 USBWA National Freshman of the Year and continued to shine during her sophomore season, leading Cal in scoring, rebounding, field goal percentage and blocked shots. During her two seasons, Anigwe was a member of the two-time All-Pac-12 team and a two-time All-America honorable mention.

Anigwe will be joined with a few other girls from the Pac-12 including Monique Billings and Jordin Canada from UCLA, Sabrina Ionescu from University of Oregon, Brittany McPhee from Stanford University, Mariya Moore and Kristen Simon from University of Southern California, and Destiny Slocum from Oregon State University.

Contact Haia Haidari at [email protected].