Raymond Davison nominated for Good Works team

BERKELEY, CA - October 1, 2016: Cal Bears Football team vs. the Utah Utes at California Memorial Stadium. Final score, Cal Bears 28, Utah Utes 23.
Al Sermeno/Courtesy

Cal senior linebacker Raymond Davison has used his platform as a college athlete to give back to his community and enrich the lives of others. The charitable spirit of the legal studies major from Encino, California was brought to light July 10 , when his nomination for the prestigious 2017 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team was announced.

Davison has been an active citizen throughout his time playing football in college, frequently visiting local community organizations in addition to volunteering at public elementary and middle schools as a part of the community service efforts of the Cal football team.

On the field, Davison boasts impressive statistics as a hard-hitting linebacker. One of the team’s most experienced leaders of the defense, Davison enters his senior season second among active Cal players with 111 tackles. In his junior season, Davison was the Bears’ only defender to return an interception for a touchdown.

Davison’s vibrant personality has positively impacted team chemistry and helped him develop a leadership role both on the team and within the larger community. In 2016, he served as a co-host for the Oskis award show, an athletic award ceremony modeled after the ESPYS and run by Cal student-athletes.

Davison has generated publicity for the Cal football program through his participation in several video projects, including the team’s take on the viral sensation “The Running Man Challenge.”

Regardless of how the next stages of the award unfold, Davison has brought pride to Cal for his respect of the community and his active role within it.

Davison is one of 146 football players to be nominated for the 2017 team. Established in 1992, the partnership between the American Football Coaches Association and Allstate insurance seeks to publicly recognize select college athletes who devote time out of their schedule to engage with their community.

A voting panel composed of influential college football media members and former Allstate AFCA Good Works Team members select 22 of the most charitable nominees to be commemorated as a part of the Good Works Team.

The 2017 voting panel will be headed by Heisman Trophy winner TimTebow, who received the accolade in 2009 while completing his illustrious career at Florida.

Contact Helen Thomas-McLean at [email protected].