Best ‘Game of Thrones’ characters, ranked

online-game-of-thrones_hbo-copy
HBO/Courtesy

Although “Game of Thrones” is filled with many villainous characters, there are still some hidden-gem characters who’ve given us a gleam of goodness. Below is a subjective list of the best characters in “Game of Thrones,” mainly based on how kind-hearted and non-psychopathic they are.

Tyrion Lannister

He’s undoubtedly number one. Tyrion’s a dwarf in a place where being brawny is highly prized. He’s forced to use his wits to get out of situations, and he does so brilliantly. Tyrion often outwits his enemies, yet shows compassions toward vulnerable people. He’s fearless, smart and amusing, which makes his character a 10/10.

Arya Stark

Arya’s evolution involved her going from tomboy to assassin. Her parents, many of her brothers and the friends she made after fleeing King’s Landing all died. This harsh dose of reality made Arya more angry, calculating and cunning than ever before. She’s a fascinating character who finally has control over her life. Still, Arya remains the girl who once wanted nothing more than to emulate her brave warrior father. As a thoroughly complex and non-psychopathic character, she adds a great amount of value to the show in every episode she’s in. She’s a clear 9.5/10 character.

Jon Snow

Snow shows an incredible amount of honor and heroism throughout his “Game of Thrones” journey. He betrayed Ygritte to remain honorable and dared to confront the supernatural forces in the North. More importantly, he’s one of the only characters that doesn’t want the Iron Throne. It’s refreshing that at least someone isn’t power-hungry. He also defends those who are weaker, such as Sam. He’s got a good sense of humor, and Arya and Bran love him, implying that he’s a good brother. Granted, he’s a bit boring, but a quality 9/10 character nevertheless.

The Hound (Sandor Clegane)

The Hound has limited screen time but definitely makes an impact. He’s brutal but proves to be compassionate, especially toward Sansa. He saves her from being attacked and raped with incredible ease. What makes him an 8.5/10 character is that he said “F*ck the city, f*ck the king” without being killed by Joffrey.

Daenerys Targaryen

Daenerys is, above all, kind of a badass. She’s kind when kindness is needed and ruthless when cruelty is needed. She’s a determined character whose manners and sophistication make her a capable leader. She’s young, but what she lacks in wisdom she makes up for in intelligence. A strong female leader like Daenerys is a solid 8/10 character.

Jaime Lannister

Lannister is one of the most complex characters on “Game of Thrones.” He’s changed from a relatively unlikable character into a respectable — and even likable — one after the past six seasons. Especially in the scene with Myrcella, it’s evident that he’s more humble and seemingly empathetic. It’s this striking transformation that makes his character a 7.5/10.

Although “Game of Thrones” might not be a show that highlights the goodness of humanity, characters like Arya and Daenerys Targaryen thankfully bring some humanity to the show. Arya, Tyrion and Sansa in particular are so loved that the names Arya, Tyrion and Sansa saw a rise in popularity in England right after “Game of Thrones” began airing. Let’s hope these good-natured characters stay alive in season seven. Peace, love, Clog.

Contact Melany Dillon at mdillon@dailycal.org.

• RookieHeather

Tyrion murdered his girlfriend by strangling her and shot his own father with a cross bow on a toilet and he’s number one?!