In the game of thrones, you win or you die

unnamed-6
Isabelle Doerschlag/Staff

It’s less than a week until season seven of “Game of Thrones” and we at the Clog are poring over every last trailer, interview, sneak peek and still from the show, trying to figure out which characters will make it to the end of the season and which ones will finally bite the dust.

The season finale alone will be almost 90 minutes long, which means there’s always a chance that your favorite character will find a sword in the back or a dragon to the face. After consulting the Clog’s live-in experts, we’ve identified the top five characters who might find their demise before the final credits of season seven. So cross your littlefingers, sit back with your favorite goblet and bundle up for the upcoming winter.

Brienne of Tarth

Brienne is such a fan favorite that her popularity alone will probably be the reason for her demise. In the books, Brienne has already been brutally murdered by the time season five had ended, so what she has left to contribute to the plot is unknown. All we know is that she’s hanging out in Winterfell, which most likely means she’ll join the fight against the White Walkers. Already, the writers are tightening the scope of the show, centering almost completely on conflicts in Westeros, with just seven episodes in the whole season. If Brienne doesn’t find a way to embed herself in the plot, she may just see her head disconnected from her shoulders.

Jon Snow

We get it, everyone loves Jon Snow. Was freshly crowned King of the North, is son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen and has an adorable dire wolf. How could Jon Snow possibly die? Well, don’t forget he has technically died already. Sure, he was brought back to life by the resident witch Melisandre, but he did already die. Now that he’s King of the North, he’s expected to lead the charge against the White Walkers which seems like the No. 1 way to end up in the grave in Westeros. Not to mention, everyone still thinks he’s a bastard, so there are people scheming to undermine his rule and put a more “pureblood” Stark on the throne of Winterfell. Jon had better watch out. If it’s not the icy touch of a White Walker that finally kills him, it might be a stab in the back from Littlefinger.

Melisandre

Melisandre proved to be helpful when she brought Jon Snow back from the dead, but she’s made a lot of enemies too. Arya Stark still has her on her list for essentially kidnapping her friend Gendry and Davos is still bitter that Melisandre didn’t receive justice for killing a little girl. She doesn’t have many friends left in Westeros, so the chances of her staying alive for the entirety of season seven are dwindling dramatically. Hopefully, the Lord of Light can help her out, because otherwise, Melisandre is basically a walking corpse.

Daenerys

“Buh, buh, buh, but Clog! Why is Dany on the list??? She’s gonna rule the Seven Kingdoms!!!!” – You, probably.

Yeah, maybe. This is Game of Thrones, though. Haven’t you been watching the last six seasons? There’s no way Dany is gonna have the luck to make it all the way to King’s Landing to place her Targaryen booty on the Iron Throne. Game of Thrones is all about subverting the usual fantasy tropes, including the one where the rightful ruler to the throne manages to overcome the enemy and succeed at winning the war for their homeland. Dany’s story won’t be a nice story of a queen coming home to her kingdom. It’s about an invader who believes she has the right to the throne despite never having lived in the kingdoms and having no way to produce an heir even if she manages to get the throne. In the eyes of the Westerosi, Daenerys could be considered the villain. We’ve got bets on Dany getting brought down by the army of King’s Landing or ending up as a snack for the White Walkers.

Cersei

Cersei, Cersei, Cersei. Oh, how we love to hate her. After recently pulling a Carol Christ and taking over a typically male-dominated seat of power, let’s not forget that she blew up a huge sept filled with her rivals (RIP, Margaery, gone but not forgotten) to do it. Poor Tommen. Now controlling what’s left of the Seven Kingdoms, Cersei’s new power trip has made a lot of people dislike her. No one really likes Cersei anymore, not even her brother Jaime — which, after years of devotion to their incestuous love, seems pretty impressive.

Whether it’s a mob of revolting peasants, a siege from Euron Greyjoy’s fleet or the wrong end of a sword from Jaime, Cersei is almost guaranteed to find her demise by the time season seven wraps up.

And as Cersei warned us, “When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground.”

Caragh McErlean is the design editor. Contact her at cmcerlean@dailycal.org.