A shot of ice and fire: ‘Game of Thrones’ cocktails

game of thrones
Nishali Naik/Staff

There are few tangible similarities between the known world in “Game of Thrones” and our own. Though you might not be able to watch the season seven premiere with your loyal dragon or dire wolf at your side, you can certainly aspire to the intoxication standards of Tyrion Lannister and the Hound from the comfort of your viewing party. Don’t show up to the festivities with mere ale and mead in hand. Sip on these noble concoctions and you’ll look and feel like the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms.

A Shot of Ice and Fire

Drink before battle for the blessings of both R’hllor and the Old Gods alike

• Ingredients:
    • 1 fluid ounce Smirnoff Ice
    • 1 1/2 fluid ounces Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey
    • Peppermint-flavored mints
    • Grenadine syrup
  • Instructions
    • Using the hilt of a Valyrian steel sword, crush peppermint mints into small pieces.
    • Garnish the rim of double shot glass with the peppermint pieces to summon the winds of winter.
    • In the glass, pour in first the liquid fire gift of R’hllor (1 1/2 fluid ounces of Fireball) followed by the elixir of the Old Gods (1 fluid ounce of Smirnoff Ice).
    • Bless your drink with the essence of the Red Woman with a few drops of grenadine syrup.

shotofice_danisundell_staff

The Bloody Dany

Best served fresh before the blood of your enemies gets cold

• Ingredients:
    • 2 strawberries
    • 1 lime wedge
    • 1 1/2 fluid ounces vodka
    • 5 1/2 fluid ounces Sprite
    • 1 fluid ounce Triple sec
    • Grenadine syrup
  • Instructions
    • Using precise swordsmanship, cut a lime wedge and slash strawberries into Needle-thin slices.
    • In an 8-fluid-ounce vessel of your choosing (chalice, goblet or alehorn), combine vodka, Triple sec, Sprite and ice shards collected from beyond the wall.
    • Embrace your inner Gregor Clegane and squeeze the juice from the lime wedge into the mixture.
    • Garnish with strawberry slices and pour in the grenadine syrup (can be substituted with the blood of your enemies).

bloodydany_hannahcooper_staff

The White Walker

Proven to resurrect bastards and make the drinker invisible to the Night King

• Ingredients:
    • Blue raspberry Jolly Ranchers
    • 6 fluid ounces Smirnoff Ice
    • 1 1/2 fluid ounces vodka
    • 1/2 fluid ounce blue Curaçao liqueur
  • Instructions
    • Hopefully you didn’t honorably give away that Valyrian steel sword, because you’ll need it to crush several blue raspberry Jolly Ranchers into fine pieces.
    • Line the rim of a 8-fluid-ounce glass with the blue raspberry shards to protect yourself from White Walkers.
    • Now that you’ve protected yourself, borrow a few ice shards from the nearest walker and toss them into your glass.
    • Pour in first the Smirnoff Ice, followed by the vodka, and add the blue Curaçao last to experience the refreshing taste of the Shivering Sea.

whitewalker_hannahcooper_staff

Ah now let us drink and know things.

tenor

Dani Sundell is the creative director for The Daily Californian. Contact Dani at creativedirector@dailycal.org.