Jonathan Klinsmann signs with Hertha Berlin and additional Cal athletic updates

klinsmann-eepstein_file-copy
Ethan Epstein/File

Cal men’s soccer will once again add to an expanding, double-digit list of professional players as goalkeeper Jonathan Klinsmann has joined Hertha Berlin following a successful 10-day trial.

As a sophomore, Klinsmann started 12 games for the Bears and more than doubled his total minutes on the field. Klinsmann took advantage of the significant uptick in playing time, totaling 65 saves and a save percentage of .739, both of which were career-highs. The sophomore also ranked second in the Pac-12 with 4.23 saves per game.

Following what would be his final season with the Bears, Klinsmann put on a defensive display with the U.S. U-20 Men’s National Team. Klinsmann led that squad to its first CONCACAF championship in San José, Costa Rica, to earn the Golden Glove Award. He also represented the United States at the Youth World Cup in the Korea Republic.

“Klinsmann exudes calmness and confidence,” goalkeeper coach Zsolt Petry said in a press release. “He has a very good right foot and is also technically and athletically at a good level.”

According to reports, Klinsmann will be the third choice for Hertha Berlin behind Rune Jarstein and Thomas Kraft and play for the team’s U-23 team in the regional fourth division so that he may develop and gain in-game experience.

Petry, in an ESPN FC article, said Klinsmann will, “gain a foothold and continue to make progress step by step.”

Before signing with Hertha Berlin, Klinsmann also fielded offers from second-tier clubs Eintracht Braunschweig and Ingolstadt and an unidentified top-tier club from Switzerland.

Klinsmann will be the second player to sign with a team in the 18-squad Bundesliga league. Peter Woodring, a 1990 Cal graduate, signed with Hamburger SV in 1992.

Mirkovic: Following winning bronze at the FIVB U19 World Championships last summer, incoming freshman Mima Mirkovic has repeated the feat by earning another bronze medal at the U21 World Championships this summer.

Mirkovic and partner Kathryn Plummer defeated Italy’s Ester Maestroni and Gaia Traballi in the Bronze Medal Match to secure the honor.

Mirkovic, a three-time All-Pacific Coast League selection, will join the Bears next season as an outside hitter.

Rodgers: Former Bears quarterback and NFL superstar Aaron Rodgers received a pair of ESPYs for Best NFL Player and Best Play at the annual ESPY Awards.

The two-time MVP totaled 4,428 yards and league-high 40 touchdowns with a completion rate of 65.7 percent to earn his sixth Pro Bowl selection. Rodgers also set franchise highs in completions (401), rushes (67) and rushing yards (369).

Rodgers’ earned his second Best Play ESPY with his 35-yard completion to Jared Cook on 3rd and 20, which set up a game-winning field goal to defeat the Dallas Cowboys 34-31 in the NFC Divisional round.

The quarterback took home his first Best Play ESPY when he completed a 61-yard Hail Mary to fellow Cal alumnus Richard Rodgers on the final play of a 27-23 win over the Detroit Lions in the regular season.

Justice delos Santos is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @jdelossantos510