BART opens Clipper-only entrance on south side of Downtown Berkeley station

bart_anissanishioka_staff
Anissa Nishioka/Staff

Early Monday morning, BART opened a Clipper-only entrance on the south side of the Downtown Berkeley station near Allston Way East after being closed for more than a decade.

The Clipper-only entrance is a part of undergoing efforts to revamp and modernize the entire station, according to a BART press release. In addition, the new platform is expected to improve traffic, safety and security at the south end of the station.

BART customer service representative Michael Moran said while customers can only use Clipper cards to enter, they can still use paper tickets to exit through the platform.

“This improves flow both into and out of the station,” Moran said.

BART spokesperson Taylor Huckaby expects more traffic at the south side of the station because the rotunda entrance will close for construction as a part of the Downtown Berkeley BART Plaza and Transit Area Improvement Project after the Allston Way West entrance opens. The rotunda entrance will reopen early 2018.

Christine Lee is an assistant news editor. Contact Christine Lee at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @christinejlee17.

• ShadrachSmith

BART customer service representative…that one made me smile.

• BFlatlander

They will not be able to stop access at North Berkeley station’s infamous elevator in the parking lot. It is known far and wide as “The Free Ride”. Even proud Moms march their children into the elevator so as to teach them how to access THE FREE RIDE. It is also a favorite exit point for those who assault and rob the idiots who actually pay for a ticket. Remember, you do not need a ticket to enter and exit the North Berkeley BART. Just head to the parking lot closest to Sacramento and follow the strong scent of urine. You’ll love THE FREE RIDE!

• No_Diggity

I can get behind this decision.

• Leila Blanc

Trading the futures market is the best way to trade better than forex or stocks. To learn more just check the website Emini S&P Trading Secret.