4 more Bears nominated to Watch Lists

football_phillipdowney_file-copy
Phillip Downey/File

Following five nominations to various watch lists in the last few weeks, four more players on the Cal football team have earned watch list nominations. Joining James Looney, Steven Coutts, Matt Anderson, Addison Ooms and Ray Hudson from last week’s wave of nominations are seniors Raymond Davison, Devante Downs and Tre Watson and sophomore Demetris Robertson.

Robertson, who is projected to be Cal’s primary receiver following the departure of former Bear Chad Hansen to the New York Jets, was named to the Biletnikoff Award watch list, which recognizes the most outstanding receiver in college football.

The true freshman shined in his first full season with the Bears and broke two freshman records, besting both DeSean Jackson’s 38 receptions and Keenan Allen’s 490 receiving yards with 50 receptions and 767 receiving yards of his own, finishing second to Hansen in both categories. Robertson also won Cal’s Bob Simmons Award, which recognizes the team’s most valuable freshman.

Robertson finished in the top-10 of multiple statistical categories among freshman, including receiving touchdowns (2nd), receiving yards (3rd), receiving yards per game (3rd), yards per reception (6th), receptions (7th) and receptions per game (8th).

With Hansen taking his talents to the East Coast and Robertson coming off a stellar year, the sophomore will be a favorite target by whomever takes snaps for the Bears in 2017.

Watson, a swiss-army knife on offense who spent time as both a running back and a returner, was named to the Paul Hornung Award watch list, which is given to the most versatile player in college football.

The senior heads into his final year with the Bears not only coming off a strong junior campaign, posting career-highs all across the board, but as Cal’s active leader in touchdowns (13), kick return yards (657), rushing yards (1307) and all-purpose yards (2316).

Davison was named to the Wuerffel Trophy watch list, another award which honors college football players for their contributions to their communities. The senior was nominated for the Allstate Good Works Team last week as well, an award that, similar to the Wuerffel, seeks to recognize athletes whose contributions stretch off the field.

During his tenure at Cal, Davison has headlined his squad’s award-winning community service proactivity in the community, visiting both schools and community organizations.

As a junior, Davison recorded a career-high 69 tackles and was responsible for both Cal’s lone defensive touchdown, a 39-yard pick-six against Oregon State. Davison enters his senior season having played 35 career games with 16 starts with 111 tackles over his last three years with the Bears, all of which rank second among active defensive players.

Downs, an inside linebacker, was named to the Butkus Award watch list, which honors the nation’s top linebackers at the high school, collegiate and professional levels. Heading into his senior season, Downs has started 13 of 33 career games with the Bears and is the active leader with 147 tackles and shares the lead with 5.0 sacks. As a junior, Downs totaled a career-high 84 tackles.

Justice delos Santos is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @jdelossantos510