Regents approve new provost, chief compliance and audit officer

brown

Last week, the UC Board of Regents filled two systemwide positions by approving the appointments of a new UC provost and executive vice president for academic affairs and chief compliance and audit officer at UC Office of the President.

Michael T. Brown has been appointed to the position of UC provost and executive vice president for academic affairs. He will take over from Aimée Dorr, who has held the position since 2012.

As UC provost, Brown will become the top academic officer for the UC system, with authority to act on behalf of the president, Janet Napolitano, in her absence or inability to act.

Among his many responsibilities, Brown will oversee work to facilitate student success, increase diversity and support academic excellence. Additionally, the provost directs development of academic and research policies and provides administrative oversight of the university’s academic planning efforts and budget matters relating to academic planning.

According to a press release issued by UCOP, President Napolitano chose Brown for the role after consulting with a 15-member advisory committee that included faculty, students, staff and senior academic leaders representing all campuses.

Brown is currently the dean of UC Santa Barbara Extension. In 2009 he became acting dean of UC Santa Barbara Extension and Off-Campus Studies. UC provost, however, will not be his first universitywide position.

Brown has been chair and vice chair of the UC Academic Senate, chair and vice chair of the Academic Senate’s Board of Admissions and Relations with Schools, faculty representative to the Board of Regents and member of the Regents’ Study Group on University Diversity.

“His dedication to advancing excellence, fairness and equal opportunity will be a tremendous asset to the entire UC community,” Napolitano said in the press release.

Alexander A. Bustamante was appointed as senior vice president and chief compliance and audit officer of UCOP — a position previously held by Sheryl Vacca until last year, and by John Lohse as interim since November.

As chief compliance and audit officer, Bustamante will function as an “independent and objective officer,” leading efforts to monitor and report rule and regulation adherence of the university and its agencies.

Bustamante has been the inspector general for the Los Angeles Police Department since 2011. With the LAPD he was responsible for independently overseeing the department and its approximately 12,000 employees.

Prior to being inspector general, he served as an assistant United States attorney for the Central District of California from 2002 to 2011.

Both men will officially begin acting in their new roles starting September 5.

Audrey McNamara is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @McNamaraAud.