YAF claims campus blocked Ben Shapiro appearance

27944654676_1109907d1d_o-copy
Gage Skidmore/Creative Commons

The Young America’s Foundation claims that campus officials have been unable to identify a venue for the campus appearance of Ben Shapiro announced for Sep. 14, according to a press release issued today titled “Berkeley Blocks Ben Shapiro.”

The press release alleges that through an email exchange between campus Student Affairs administrators and BCR members the former “denied” BCR’s request for a room.

“It is important to note that the university did not in fact identify any other dates, times, or venues for Mr. Shapiro’s speaking engagement at UC Berkeley,” said BCR External Vice President Naweed Tahmas in an emailed statement.

BCR informed Student Affairs on July 10 that noted conservative commentator Ben Shapiro was invited to speak for a crowd of 500 on campus on September 14 at 7 p.m. Student Affairs replied that a room meeting those requirements was not available for that date, but that other dates and rooms were.

“We have tentatively reserved a few venues on BCR’s behalf that can be discussed as part of the event’s security review. These venues include smaller spaces on the date requested and larger venues on other dates in September,” read one email from campus student affairs to a BCR executive.

Student Affairs also stated that, though it is not common practice for the Dean of Students office or the LEAD Center to work on securing space reservations for Student Organizations, “our interest in supporting your ability to host speakers of your choice has led us to make additional efforts on your behalf.”

Student Affairs emphasized that prior to finalizing a date, time and place for the event a UCPD security assessment must be conducted, “as per long-standing policy that applies to every RSO interested in hosting an event.”

Tahmas addressed a new version of this policy in his statement, alleging that the policy is still in the “preliminary draft stage,” and that relevant stakeholders have not been looped into it’s creation. “This draft policy does not set an uniform curfew for all speakers and thus allows the university to arbitrarily set time restrictions,” Tahmas said in an email.

The correspondence between Student Affairs and BCR, however, addresses this updated policy. Student Affairs wrote back to BCR that the “draft policy and timeline can be reviewed on this web page, and we would welcome your feedback.” The email also linked to a Google form for BCR to contribute to.

The author of YAF’s press release, Spencer Brown, said “the only thing that was made clear in the email was (UC Berkeley’s) disregard for the first amendment rights of their students.”

According to campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof, however, the administration’s correspondence does not mean the event is canceled. “We believe there should be no trouble getting an event scheduled on that day,” Mogulof said. “We completely support BCR.”

Mogulof added that BCR and campus administrators have yet to meet in person to discuss the event. 

“We need to meet with them,” he said.

Audrey McNamara is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @McNamaraAud.

• Willliam Wallace

The YAF yells Fire, Fire, Fire!

Nobody listens to the lying psychochildren!

• Anax of Rhodes

That said, BCR’s vitriol for the administration, while perhaps somewhat well-founded, is hyperbolic. It doesn’t help to blast the administration the way it has. I’ve no love for all I’ve seen of Berkeley’s admin, but wording their statements like that helps no one.

• Anax of Rhodes

According to “new rules,” upcoming events must be requested 8 weeks in advance. That deadline for September 14th passed yesterday, July 20th. Now that that rule’s hard-written into the book, y’all know there’s no budging it.

A darned shame. Shapiro’s great. He’s not a provocateur like Coulter or Yiannopoulos. He aims to speak truth as convincingly as possible, and oftentimes comes off as brash and raw; entirely different from others who revel in ensuing chaos.

I sure hope he can show up, and that the leftists who can’t stand him don’t shout him down or start a riot. I hope they jump to the front of the Q&A line (Shapiro’s house rule: anyone who disagrees with him gets to question him first) and test ideas.

EDIT: Ah, I see in a different column this policy doesn’t take effect till August 1st. Would this event get grandfathered through, or not?

• FreedomFan

Oh looks like Berkeley found a way to let Ben speak after all. Now let’s see if they cave when threats from the Black-Bloc-fascists start.

• California Defender

Berkeley doesn’t learn.

This repetitive behavior of delay, block, and/or obstruct speakers that do not support their extreme leftist (and quite narrow) ideology is on display to the nation and the world.

And the increasingly negative reputation they are burdened with is well deserved.

This is not an institution of learning, but a factory of propaganda. Certainly no place for true intellectuals.

• CSears

You might want to check out Berkeley’s rankings, 20th undergrad nationally and top 5 graduate worldwide. My Berkeley degree is well respected in Silicon Valley and internationally.

• California Defender

Then you must be a bright person! Thus, I’m certain you know that those rankings are subjective not objective. Not to mention most of the “best” universities purchase the top ranks.

Still, I’m sure your degree is well respected in a bubble like Silicon Valley. It’s not the substance that matters, but the image. If you take your degree outside the bubble, the impressive nature of it is quickly dispelled.

• CSears

Let me get this straight. These “best” universities, they purchase the top ranks and the Valley is a bubble. I suppose Berkeley purchased their 22 Nobel Prizes. Intel, Apple, Google, HP, Cisco, Oracle, … are a bubble. This is really funny stuff.

I went to Berkeley and I know how good the professors are and how smart the students are. Also, I take my degree outside that bubble regularly, nationally and internationally.

You should go to the Shapiro talk. There will be plenty of seats.

• California Defender

Berkeley did not purchase those Nobel prizes, but they did purchase the Nobel laureates who teach there (which presently totals 7, not 22).

A more meaningful number, which you ignored, is how many UCB alumni have earned Nobels. That is an impressive 29. Until you realize the last one graduated 30 years ago.

30 years ago, UCB produced some good grads. Today? Average. At best.

And I’d love to see Shapiro talk! But the violent nature of Berkeley is unappealing. Besides, his lecture at UCB serves a much higher purpose than rears in seats.

• CSears

The most common age bracket for a Nobel Laureate is 60-64. So it isn’t at all surprising that our last laureate graduated 30 years ago. That’s actually well ahead of the curve.

Dude, I encourage you to go to Shapiro’s talk. At the same time, you should find some big lecture class and just sit in on it. You can find the course schedule ahead of time so you should be able to find something interesting. I sat in on a security class and had an epiphany. And I wasn’t agreeing with the prof who is internationally recognized (Nick Weaver). But his presentation got me to think about something in a different way.

Lastly, if you think Berkeley is violent, you’ve never been on campus.

• California Defender

Yep, 16.9% of Nobels were awarded to people 60-64. Wow. And ahead of the curve? Average age is 33 when issued a PhD. UCB will soon be behind. But is beating the Nobel curve really what makes a university good? Of course not.

And I’m glad you sat in on an internet security class… without paying? Some might call that theft, but whatever. The STEM field is what UCB does best. The rest is rubbish and that comes from experience in dealing with non-STEM UCB grads. I’ve seen community college AAs outperform them. Easily.

And, yes, Berkeley is violent. With the modern wonders of broadcast technology, you can no longer hide this fact.

• CSears

The average age when awarded a Nobel is 59. So again, having the most recent Berkeley Nobel graduate 30 years ago is in fact ahead of the curve.

Berkeley is #4 IN THE WORLD for Nobels granted in this century. Really, your claim that we’ve somehow declined in 30 years is quite laughable. Remember, I went here. I know how tough it was to get in and how tough it was to get out. Reading what someone who didn’t say what you have said isn’t gonna get anywhere with me. And although I was COE I know how awesome L+S was because I took a ton of their classes. We do a lot of things best. Actually, I’m less impressed with my own department and more impressed with others.

Yes, sitting in on lectures without paying. Actually, as a Berkeley graduate I politely ask the professor (head TA if it’s a big class) at the beginning of the semester. I’m usually granted Piazza access privileges and given full class participation. I sat in on one seminar and a former prof was sitting next to me. He’s a VC now. We chatted.

• California Defender

Ahead of the curve? 30+33=63. Ok, so math isn’t your strong suit.

Hard to get in? College of the Ozarks has a lower acceptance rate. But such rates are meaningless as they are driven by location and marketing. And hard to get out? Pleeeeease! UCB’s 6-year grad rate is astonishingly high at 92%! National average is 54%. Basically, if you have a pulse, you’re going to graduate from UCB.

Still, I am concerned that you are able to sit in on classes for free at a publicly funded institution. You’re stealing from the state (taxpayers) each time you do that. I bet you got an “A” in ethics, though. Do they still teach that at UCB? Probably not.

And kudos to David Horowitz for not indoctrinating his kids into his ideology, unlike his parents who were ardent Communists and forced him to be one. Thank goodness he woke up! It’s a good lesson in how the left operates: Our way or no way. While the right values critical analysis. This is why people are starting to reject Facebook, Twitter, et alia. Silicon Valley’s revolution of global narcissism is faltering.

Its fall can’t come soon enough. But I’m patient. 😉

• CSears

Not sure what math problem you’re try to solve. You may wish to show your work if you want any partial credit.

Berkeley has an average HS GPA of 3.90 and SATs of 1809. Your CotO has an SAT average of 1120. I can’t find any Ozarkian Nobels. Have there been any distinguished graduates?

Really dude, you’re not getting anywhere.

• California Defender

If you can’t keep up, just drop it. It’s ok, I won’t think any less of you.

With high school grade inflation (3.9 is quite average these days) and their mindless teaching for one standardized exam rather than actually learning how to independently think, I’d rather look to the Ozarks.

While I’ve never been there, an Ozarkian Nobel sounds interesting. Certainly better than the cheap ones they give out these days, particularly in the peace category which has become an unfunny joke. Those Norwegians need to work a little harder to at least get a chuckle out of the world!

• CSears

Not certain exactly what I’m not keeping up with. Not sure exactly what you’ve shown.

Even with grade inflation that 3.9 is greater than 3.6 and 1809 is greater than 1120. Honestly, I’d never heard of College of the Ozarks and having looked at their site and wiki, I’m not certain I’ve missed anything.

Good to know that 3.9 is quite average these days. It does look as if everyone in your neck of the woods is above average.

If you’re not happy with Nobel prizes, we could talk about Berkeley’s Fields Medal winners, our Turing Award winners, our MacArthur Fellowships, ….

We had 21 medal winners at Rio. If Berkeley were a country, that’d be 11th in the world. I could go on but I think I’ve made a point that really didn’t need making.

I look forward to the great contributions that Ozarkians will be making to our world.

• California Defender

Wow, like your namesake department store’s inability to keep up in the marketplace, so have you mirrored in this debate.

Fields Medals, Turing Awards… STEM field, excellent! But don’t go tarnishing Berkeley’s stellar record there with MacArthur leftist-driven slush-fund grants. Then again, it is Berkeley. Seesh!

Oh wait, now you’re bribing up Olympic medals? Auto-correct inserted “bribing” instead of my intended “bringing”. How smart it is, so I let it be. Consult with your auto-correct AI for enlightenment on this topic. I’ve taught you enough for free (like your alma mater).

Oh wait! One more free lesson: Don’t arrogantly turn your nose up at the Ozarkians, Berkeleyite! They’ve contributed a little too…

President Harry Truman
            Laura Ingalls Wilder
            Edwin Hubble
            Dik Van Dyke
            Rush Limbaugh
            John Goodman
            Brad Pitt
            Bob Barker

Probably many more, but I’m no expert having never been there. What I do know is that you should be respectful of rural folks. They’re pretty smart, even those without an expensive diploma on the wall.

• CSears

Harry didn’t go to the College of the Ozarks and he isn’t from the Ozarks. He was born in Lamar but grew up in Independence. Indeed none of those people went to College of the Ozarks. The only ‘distinguished alum’ that I could recognize was a former RNC chair and that’s not really any sort of distinction is it?

It isn’t clear whether you know the extent of the Ozarks or really anything about Missouri. I’ve lived there. Indeed, I can’t make up my mind whether you’re even American or just one of those Macedonian trolls who get paid by the post. Really dude, you’d have to show me.

Again, dude, I went to Berkeley. I know how great it is. In Silicon Valley, I know the respect a Berkeley degree confers. Judging from the GPAs, ACT and SAT ranges it isn’t clear that the best College of the Ozarks applicant gets into Berkeley.

• California Defender

I’m sure Wikipedia informed you that Lamar is in the Ozarks. And no he didn’t go to that college. What does that have to do with it? Deflection? And does going to a particular college make you from that area? Of course not, but it’s comical that you’re suggesting such. I will also comically agree that the RNC Chair is no distinction, too. Deflect again!

Oh, but wait, now we’re getting somewhere. You claim to be from Missouri! Then why use Wikipedia at all? Know your history (and geography), my friend. I’m 100% Californian. My family has been here since 1866. I’ll let you guess what caused that wagon trip west. Prior to that, I can trace my lineage to the earliest settlers in America… British subjects they were.

You should do the same. Perhaps it will cause your heart to beat a little more proudly for the land you live in.

I’m happy you have deflected the conversation to this topic. Discussing the woeful state of Bubbled Berkeley is depressing.

• CSears

It’s nice to know that I’m from Missouri. I only thought that I lived there but was born in CA. Of course, I’ve also lived+worked many places across the US and also in Europe. Thank you for the correction.

And no, Lamar isn’t in the Ozarks. Here’s a nice boundary map.

http://images.summitpost.org/original/675765.JPG

Your credibility is not being questioned nor is it being accepted. However, I would counsel you to look up Grician norms.

• California Defender

Well, you did say you lived in Missouri. Being from a place has more to do with assimilation of culture and way of life than it does dropping out of a birth canal. For instance, there are plenty of people who were born in America, but are definitely not American. Likewise, I’ve commented to some people overseas that they are quite American. They always respond to the compliment with a big smile.

And I believe you are referring to Gricean maxims of which I have violated none. Your link is broken, so I’ll just refer you to Wikipedia which has a decent map.

• CSears

Wikipedia has many decent maps and the link works just fine. And as for your apparently strange definition of American, I think that we’ve already determined geography is not your strong suit.

BTW, I have the distinct honor to be typing these words in Doe Library, the 7th largest in the country, 11.5M volumes of which most are probably commentaries on Marx.

• California Defender

Ok, my friend, the debate over Ozarkian geography is wonderfully fulfilling, but we should move on to more meaningful topics.

Like how one feels honored to access Wikipedia while in the 7th largest library in the US. Impressive? Perhaps, if you said you were tapping away in the Great Library of Alexandria. If the left “progresses” even further at UCB, I fear Doe may meet the same fate.

Caliph Omar said upon the Muslim Conquest of Egypt, “If those books are in agreement with the Quran, we have no need of them; and if they are opposed to the Quran, destroy them.” Such is echoed (or screamed through a bullhorn) in modern leftist theology.

Lastly, how is my definition of American “strange”? Perhaps you would like to share your definition as nothing can be “strange” without a proper comparison.

• CSears

Dang, that Omar guy sure sounds pretty annoying. Too bad he was the fourth guy to burn the library. Caesar was the first although it was arguably accidental. It’s in Plutarch. He was there shagging Cleopatra (before Antony); they even had a son (Caesarion) who Augustus had killed. After that it was another emperor, then Pope Theodosius then your Omar.

Anyways Omar is kind’ve like the right wing evangelicals. They give Christians a bad name and he gives Muslims a bad name. Fact is that after the dark ages, the Renaissance really only happens because the Byzantine muslims had copies of the Greek texts. (Yeah, the Irish had some copies but they didn’t really do anything with them.) And why did they emigrate (with the texts) to Europe? Excellent question, I’m glad you asked. Because the Crusades burned Constantinople.

So as you can see, there’s a whole lot of pillaging going on back then and a lot of it was by churches. Of course, when Bush said that the Iraq War was a modern crusade (“This crusade, this war on terrorism is going to take a while.”) you can imagine what folks there were thinking.

Lastly, if you won’t call someone who was born here American then you have a strange definition of American. Paine was only here for a year when he started writing Common Sense. He’s considered a founding father.

• California Defender

Fourth? Quick, publish a paper! I’m glad you’re certain of this as there is no academic consensus on who burned it first, last, or if it was just one annoyed Omar. From my own research (collected even from Carl Sagan’s opinion), I’d tend to believe it was first the Coptic Parabalani (ordered by Archbishop Cyril and again under Theodosius) then Omar finished off whatever was left.

But I don’t agree with your assessment that Caliph Omar was akin to right-wing evangelicals or gave Muslims a bad name. Violence is simply part of the Abrahamic way. Christians, Muslims, and Jews have use violence as the primary tool to expand and maintain their faith throughout the ages to today and undoubtedly into the future until their inevitable demise. As history proves, no faith will last forever.

And Byzantine Muslims? Muslims born in the Empire would not have been considered Byzantine but foreigners part of the Caliphate. Nor would they have tolerated any significant internal Muslim population, especially when facing an existential threat from them at their borders.

This supports my view that there are people born in America who are not American. And those born abroad who are. But that is culture which does not equal citizenship. For that, jus sanguinis is the intended law of the land. Just ask Sen. Jacob Howard who wrote the 14th Amendment’s Citizenship Clause.

We’ve got it all wrong today and must correct it.

• CSears

You are completely mistaken that they would have been classified as foreigners.

Constantine renamed the city of Byzantium to Constantinople; it was the capital of the Eastern Roman Republic. The eastern Roman empire is known to us as the Byzantine Empire. But to them, it was just the Roman empire.

They at least would have been a tax paying part of the Roman Empire. Whether they were citizens, I don’t know. Roman citizenship was tightly controlled and the Censor was pretty much the pinnacle office. Romans refused and offered citizenship to many people. Slaves had a path to citizenship (although rights varied). The Social Wars were their equivalent of fighting over ‘taxation without representation’ but really it was over citizenship. Folks like you lost the Social Wars.

But the Muslims certainly weren’t foreigners (barbarians like say, the Germans) and after the fall, they didn’t head to Mecca. They headed to Europe with the Greek texts.

I’m not a subject master of Islam but I’m deeply skeptical of right wingers who make it their hobby horse. For instance, you say ‘the Caliphate’. Which caliphate? There were many competing and overlapping caliphates.

Again, you have a very strange definition of American. I hazard to guess that you have more than a passing interest in birth certificates. Dude, you either believe in the transformative capacity of America:

Give me your tired, your poor,
            Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
            The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
            Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
            I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Or you don’t. BTW, Cheeto has been deporting immigrant soldiers. He really doesn’t believe in America.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-deported-vets-20170604-story.html

• California Defender

Everyone paid taxes in the Empire but citizens paid more and duly enjoyed greater representation and liberties for it. To my knowledge, Muslims were never granted citizenship. As I mentioned, they were simply considered part of the Caliphate (yes there were several) and they had good reason to exclude them. For it was a Caliphate, the Ottoman version, that extinguished their civilization.

Interesting that you should bring up “immigrant soldiers”, more commonly known as mercenaries. It was Rome’s and Constantinople’s shifting away from citizen soldiers to foreign mercenaries that eroded the cohesion (loyalty, too?) of the military and eventually led to the Empire’s downfall. Perhaps the current President has a greater sense of history than the last few.

And a fine poem is the The New Colossus which was added to Lady Liberty much later as her original symbolism had nothing to do with immigration. Transformative? You mean assimilative and I agree! But such takes far more effort than casually reading (or in your case politicizing) a marketing jingle. Frankly, the many invited legal immigrants who sailed by had more pressing things to do.

• CSears

I’m having a hard time following that. the Ottoman Caliphate ‘extinguished their civilization’. And the muslims who were living in the area were chased out of Constantinople because Islam?

The Ottomans had their version of Islam just as Rome had its version of Christianity (a sect at first banned and then standardized+codified and made into the state religion). Far from ‘extinguishing’ anything, the Ottomans are thought (Gibbon) to have just taken Byzantium ‘under new management’ and run it intact.

Point remains that these vile muslims brought the Greek texts back to Europe after the dark ages and we have them to thank for that. Irish coulda done it. Didn’t do it.

Immigrant soldiers are most definitely not mercenaries. Mercenaries get paid and that’s that. There is no allegiance but to money and no citizenship in the bargain. Academi (née Blackwater) is a company of mercenaries. Filipinos, Mexicans, … serving in the US Army in exchange for fast tracked citizenship are not mercenaries.

As as for your Rome point, legionnaires originally placed their allegiance with their generals because aside from getting paid for service they looked forward to being settled as landed veterans, their version of the GI Bill.

The Marian Reforms (107 BCE) transferred that allegiance from the generals to the state. The army became professional. Also it extended service to the landless; previously it was land owning tax paying citizens (equestrians, actually fifth census).

I don’t think Cheeto has any sense of history or for that matter, even light and dark. If he’s your guy then that would be your problem.

Indeed, you make a strange point about the Decline of Rome, pinning it on their use of mercenaries. I think it was more likely a string of some really bad caesars like their version of Cheeto, Nero, that did the Romans in. I coulda chosen Caligula or Commodus, both come to bad ends, but I prefer Nero. Something about killing two of his wives and his mother is very Cheeto like. That and the suicide letters he sent to people who displeased him like Seneca.

As for the poem, a simple fact check shows that it predates (1883) the Statue of Liberty and was indeed written as part of an auction to raise funds for the pedestal. The statue itself was of course a gift from the French.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Colossus

BTW, the Berkeley College Republicans are having a hard time with the Shapiro thing. Apparently the University is making them pay for the security. If you can throw a few shekels their way, I’m sure they’d appreciate it. Do it for Cheeto.

• Willliam Wallace

BS from a Junior College dropout.

• California Defender

Aww come on, don’t be so hard on Sears.

Nor should you deride JCs or dropouts: Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Michael Dell, Evan Williams, Larry Ellison, Travis Kalanick… and that’s just from Silicon Valley.

• this shows how little the administration actually cares about free speech. people like dirks only give lip service to it

• Killer Marmot

For a short while there, I thought that the Berkeley administration were coming around to the idea of free speech.

• garyfouse

Blah blah blah, woof woof woof, quack quack quack. The event has been cancelled and we all know why. Lack of space is an excuse. Why is it that a conservative like Shapiro can’t speak at UCB?

UCB is not shutting this down because Shapiro is some sort of hate-mongering radical. He is a conservative and a supporter of Israel. That is what makes him unwelcome at Berkeley. The other factor is not what Shapiro might say or his supporters might do, it is what the leftist crazies on campus and the surrounding community are likely to do-riot, beat people up, and destroy property. God forbid that the cowardly administrators would send out the campus police to protect people’s First Amendment rights and arrest those who commit crimes. That’s not what UCB does; what UCB does is shut down any speech that doesn’t conform to political correctness.

• publicinterestjournalist

I’m too far away in time and miles, but this sounds right, garyfouse. When the Nazis wanted to march through the streets of Skokie, Illinois–especially through streets of mainly Jewish homes, I was incensed that the ACLU went to bat for the Nazis. I was a lot younger then. Now I have to agree: From this distance, it looks like the UCB administration is caving to the likely prospect of disturbance. “Disturbance” is how we all got here.

• garyfouse

And Ben Shapiro is a far cry from the nazis in Skokie.

• If you’re going to put on event, aren’t you supposed to secure a suitable venue FIRST and then announce the date?

So looking at the request for a venue that can accommodate 500 students at 7 PM on Thursday 9/14….
    – Which campus venues have the capacity to accommodate the request?
    – Are they academic (controlled by the campus administration) or entertainment (controlled by Cal Performances or the ASUC) venues?

• Mike L

Not sure if serious. If you are being serious, then you need to check your trust in government.

• Killer Marmot

Perhaps BCR thought that booking an event two months in advance would not be a problem.

And it shouldn’t have been.

• Anax of Rhodes

“New rule” requires 8-week advance notice. That deadline passed yesterday (Sept. 14 minus 8 weeks is July 20th). Now that it’s hard-coded into the book, you know they’ll parrot that till kingdom come.

• FreedomFan

This must be how the Democrats’ “Antifa” pals fight “fascists”.

No parent should send their kid to this anti-liberal hell-hole masquerading as an institution of higher learning.

• Cdc

Convenient. Just a bunch of whiny liberal cucks.