Bears to participate in international tournaments

wwaterpolo_aditiraghunath_file-copy
Aditi Raghunath/File

On Thursday, USA Water Polo released rosters for both the FINA Junior World Championships and World University Games, and several Bears will be featured in the events.

Cal women’s water polo head coach Coralie Simmons will be coaching the U.S. Junior National Team. Simmons is not new to coaching at the national level and in 2015, she helped the U.S. Junior National Team to a gold medal at the FINA Junior World Championships in Volos, Greece.

Junior goalie Madison Tagg will serve as an alternate on Simmons’ team. Tagg recorded 82 saves in 2016 and saw action in 11 games.

Driver Stephanie Mutafyan, a recent Cal graduate, has been named members of the 13 player roster for the United States World University Games Team. Mutafyan recorded 18 goals in her last campaign with the Bears.

Cal seniors Dora Antal and Anna Illes are currently playing for the Hungary National team at the FINA World Championships in Budapest, Hungary. Both drivers for the Bears, Antal recorded 53 goals in 2016, leading the team in scoring and Illes recorded 40 goals.

In the same World Championships, Cal’s sophomore driver Emma Wright and alumna Kelly McKee are competing for Team Canada. Wright has played in numerous international tournaments for Canada and led Team Canada to the quarterfinals of 2016 Olympic Qualification Tournament.

Christie Aguilar is the assistant sports editor. Contact her at [email protected].